On board Golden Princess today boarded I. Melbourne....what a disaster

We have cruised from many ports in the world, somehow I don't think Melbourne has the right set up for an embarkation port.

We had to line up in the hot sun for over an hour just to drop off suitcases! The line was down the road and around the corner.

ImageUploadedByForums1449553230.610130.jpg.107aee17eb06bbde931d24abd8c02da8.jpg

Sorry for the poor photo with my thumb in it!!

Melbourne is challenged because of the pier rather than a normal wharf but I could see it could have been done better. There were many elderly people who would have struggled in over 30 degrees for over an hour. Then there was another 30 minutes to get on the ship...,.,was not a great way to start the holiday, hot, bothered and tired.

I can only imagine was disembarkation will be like.

Has anyone taken a cruise from Melbourne And had a different experience to us?

ImageUploadedByForums1449553212.246754.jpg.041ac0ea9cbfb416a75b66d1ccebc6e1.jpg

Unfortunately from the handful of times that I have embarked or disembarked from Melbourne, I have had similar experiences. Its always been problematic for varying reasons, unlike other terminals where experiences have been much more pleasant.

Maybe I am unlucky in Melbourne.....:)

That really doesn't sound good! If they're going to have ships homeporting in Melbourne, they need to sort this out!

I haven't cruised from Melbourne, but the embarkation in Sydney is a pleasure, and that was even before the renovated terminal.

We cruised from Vancouver in May and that was a complete nightmare! There were 2 large ships embarking and we stood in a queue (with about 20 chairs on the side available for the hordes of people) for 2 and a half hours to get through passport control and get sea pass cards. Granted it was inside the terminal, but there was no aircon, and it was a hot day. A few weeks later friends did the same cruise as us from Vancouver, but there was only one ship in port that day and they said they breezed through and were on board in 20 minutes. :confused:

You got it easy OzKruser, it took us all morning and half the afternoon to get on board the Pacific Jewell in March this year. :eek: Really though it does need to be fixed as it is an easy dock to get to, especially compared to our White Bay!

Steve.

Princess and POM need to get their act together as one cannot have people standing round in stinking heat and sun for long . Its not rocket science its only a bag drop at the wharf gate, all bags should be pre tagged. Walk to the teminal air conditioned and check in , again not rocket science .

Cruised many times out of Melbourne, never had this experience. I'm cruising out of Melbourne on Sunday and again with Princess on 3 January. So I see what its like and report back.

Maybe it was simply a case of everyone turning up at the same time. You cannot simply process all the people at once.

Edited by icat2000

The more I see on these boards, the more I wonder what the cruise companies are negotiating when they arrange an embarkation port. That would be a dreadful first impression.

I must say though that dragging my bag from the Circular Quay train station to the OPT over those now broken up pavers looked like it might be pretty similar in distance from that intersection where I imagine most of those people walked from, either from the tram or being dropped off. We have done Melbourne as a port stop, and that is a deceptively long walk to the gates at the pier.

I wonder how long those taxis were taking to get through? It really is starting to get on my goat how many people ask on many boards and pages, "if my allotted boarding time is like 3pm, is it alright to get there whenever I like", and everyone goes "yeah, just rock up anytime, it doesn't matter to anyone else!". Just saying.

What time was your photo taken?

I look forward to hearing how things go for you Sarah, and I hope it goes ok. I hope your ship is ok when it arrives!

Edited by goodycruising

Cruised many times out of Melbourne, never had this experience. I'm cruising out of Melbourne on Sunday and again with Princess on 3 January. So I see what its like and report back.

Maybe it was simply a case of everyone turning up at the same time. You cannot simply process all the people at once.

i agree that a lot of people rock up early and try to get on asap, maybe they might have to have staggered boarding and enforce it

Hi Folks

We board Golden Princess on Monday 21st for the Christmas Cruise , the queue shown here would be impossible for me (recovering from a stay in the hospital) does anyone know if alternative arrangements for those not so good on their feet were made??

We have a private hire car transport arranged so hopefully will be spared standing in the hot sun or knowing Melbourne in the rain .. something like that shown here is just not acceptable....

Shows Melbourne in a very poor way

regards

John

Just off Golden this morning.

Embarkation was not an issue for us 2 weeks ago. Taxi took us right down the pier and dropped us off where our baggage was whisked away and we were ushered into the nearby lift to the check-in area, customs etc and on the ship in about 20 mins.

Disembarkation was just as easy (albeit a long walk with luggage) where our taxi collected us (he was late due to Melbourne traffic - that's another story...).

Sometimes with delays, it can be just a few simple things that create a domino effect. Last year at White Bay it took us over 3 hours to board as lots of people did not complete a PNG visa application as required causing massive back-ups.

Hi Folks

We board Golden Princess on Monday 21st for the Christmas Cruise , the queue shown here would be impossible for me (recovering from a stay in the hospital) does anyone know if alternative arrangements for those not so good on their feet were made??

We have a private hire car transport arranged so hopefully will be spared standing in the hot sun or knowing Melbourne in the rain .. something like that shown here is just not acceptable....

Shows Melbourne in a very poor way

regards

John

Turn up late i.e maybe 2 hours before departure. After 2 pm.

I look forward to hearing how things go for you Sarah, and I hope it goes ok. I hope your ship is ok when it arrives!

Yeap. Teh ship has to get to Melbourne first. Its being repaired. I must track it to see how it is put putting along.

Cruised out of (and back into) Station Pier twice, with Princess, and both times not a problem. Nor did I see queues. Each time it was straight into check in area (after bagdrop) then off we went. All quite straightforward really. But then again, I was cruising on the Dawn Princess - fewer passengers than the Golden.

No idea what happened today ... gosh it was a hot one here too. Those poor people must have almost melted. :confused:

Edited by LC1950

I must say though that dragging my bag from the Circular Quay train station to the OPT over those now broken up pavers looked like it might be pretty similar in distance from that intersection where I imagine most of those people walked from, either from the tram or being dropped off. We have done Melbourne as a port stop, and that is a deceptively long walk to the gates at the pier.

For us, one of the best things about sailing from the Sydney OPT is the walk from the Quay to the terminal. We normally leave the cab at the bottom of Pitt St and cross the road to see our ship waiting for us. Arriving by train is even better. As you emerge from the tunnel your ship suddenly comes into view and you know your next cruise is about to commence.

People often say that the planning and anticipation of a cruise is almost as good as the cruise and approaching the dock is all part of that. Sadly, once on board of course it seems that in no time you are disembarking and heading home. Oh the pain!

cheers

Stu

We had to line up in the hot sun for over an hour just to drop off suitcases! The line was down the road and around the corner.

Melbourne is challenged because of the pier rather than a normal wharf but I could see it could have been done better. There were many elderly people who would have struggled in over 30 degrees for over an hour. Then there was another 30 minutes to get on the ship.

Just to clarify... the long queue was for the bag drop-off? If I carry my bags onto the ship by myself, would I be able to skip this queue? Or is this the queue to enter the terminal for check-in?

Yes just to clarify the queue was just for luggage drop off. Not sure if you are allowed to take them on yourself as they are all scanned by the ship first and I don't believe they have those facilities up on the boarding deck.

The solution is simple: The cruise lines must enforce the staggered boarding times given, then you won't have 2600 pax all turn up at 11.30am, wanting to get on for their lunch.

I have no sympathy for those that complain about waiting hours to board because they got there way too early. Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind.

Agree with previous posts, that allocated times must be reinforced to a certain degree. Mishaps do occur where transport is concerned and this needs to be allowed for. But please everyone don't try and get on board before your time. Even more so now with these larger ships in our ports it just makes it so unpleasant for everyone.

To clarify again, we were there at our allotted time ....

I have no doubt you were and that is good, but I also have no doubt hundreds arriving early were not at their allotted time, hence congestion and delays. Human nature.

I have no doubt you were and that is good, but I also have no doubt hundreds arriving early were not at their allotted time, hence congestion and delays. Human nature.

You mean like, "it's my holiday, I paid for it, I'll do what I like" toe thing?

I can never really understand this great rush to get on board early -- I know that people want to start their holiday , but if by doing so they actually spoil the first day of their holiday then it is rather pointless. It's a bit like those who queue up to board an aircraft - as though they do not have an allocated seat.

I recall there is a coffee shop at the entrance to the wharf pier in Melbourne and I think a pub over the road? -- call me when the queue is gone !! :)

had no problems on the 25th there are two drop off points sadly you dont know till someone at the truck tells you you do not have to wait here you can go forwards to the spot where you go up to do all the customs stuff , i was there early and saw the que anyways but as lewtters say dont go up early i didnt but i think i could have with out a problem anyways i went up at 1pm when i was boarding and was not turned around when i was emailed that my boarding was 1.30pm i was through fairly quickly after i filled out the forms i was meant to fill out with out drama as was my disembarkation it went smoothly too all good for a first time cruiser i thought , caught tram to ship as well

i think thats what it is and they all think that at the gate is the only sport for it when it is not , i had no troubles yes there is a que but when moving its good i had lunch before getting on at 1pm 12 looked a bigger line, maybe there should be a note saying gate is not only drop off , the gate is good for those that would have trouble walking and pulling their cases etc or in wheel chairs though i think they go through gate with car and get dropped off at point of lounge