Has FDR done anything to benefit cruisers?

CruiserRob

I've read a lot about changes that FDR has made to increase revenues. Has he done anything positive for the customer?

Robert

Not for me. Some will say they like the CruiseNext program, those with small appetites like the a la carte and some also like the free Asian restaurants, but as far as I know that's it.

Edited by SuiteCruiser

I don't know if this is a result of his actions, but on the Getaway last week, I though the food, both free and specialty, was very good, better than before. And, I was quite happy with it before.

The new menus will be rolling out in January fleetwide. I liked the specialty food on Escape much more than before, and I liked Margaritaville. The MDR and O'Sheehan's were not as good.

Edited by SuiteCruiser

Personally, I thought the new MDR menus on the Escape were better than the old ones. The only issue for us is that the everyday items are not as appealing for a fussy eater, meaning that if we go there with our 10 year old son he now has to order from the kids menu most of the time. The menu is much better for me though.

I also really appreciate the Chinese options being included now. I've had lots of people on here try to tell me that I'm wrong about that, and that it really is bad for me as some items I never used to order are no longer available, but they seem to be missing the point.

I'm not sure now of the exact timing, but I really appreciate the UBP and UDP offers (which far outweigh the increases elsewhere for me). I suspect they started before FDR took over, but I was never expecting them to continue this long.

One that I'm pretty certain was introduced under FDR is the SDP. I would never have bought the UDP as I have no interest in eating in a speciality restaurant every night, but being able to pick it for 3 or 4 nights is a real benefit. It pretty well gives you a free meal (especially here in the UK if you are fixed on a good exchange rate) and takes away any negatives from a la carte (which I don't have a big problem with anyway).

Overall, if you include the booking price and deals, I'm getting a slightly better deal now, so I see quite a few benefits.

Edited by KeithJenner

The MDR and O'Sheehan's were not as good.

I was disappointed when I first saw the new o'Sheehans menu, but actually liked it a lot when eating there. I don't see it as a positive or negative overall, although that's obviously just my opinion and others will disagree. :)

I like the SDP. It's a better option for us to purchase than UDP.

I thought I was going to be the first to mention the SDP, but you posted that whilst I was writing my reply. I agree totally, it's a huge benefit in my opinion.

Edited by KeithJenner

One that I'm pretty certain was introduced under FDR is the SDP. I would never have bought the UDP as I have no interest in eating in a speciality restaurant every night, but being able to pick it for 3 or 4 nights is a real benefit.

I hadn't considered the SDP. We purchased the UPD earlier this year on the EPIC and I quite enjoyed it, including Cirque Dreams which was included on the first night. However, I can see a 3-5 night package being of benefit.

Robert

1. The food is better.

2. The ambiance is a little nicer (no trays in the hallways)

Other than that, it's hard to determine what actions are his, and which are Andy's....

I guess I should have said the post Kevin Sheehan regime.

Robert

I hadn't considered the SDP. We purchased the UPD earlier this year on the EPIC and I quite enjoyed it, including Cirque Dreams which was included on the first night. However, I can see a 3-5 night package being of benefit.

Robert

I hated the UDP.

There are great complementary options like o'Sheehans and the Asian places as well as the MDR's and the buffet (which can be a great option after a busy day) and many new cruisers were convinced by others to get the UDP and never even try them.

On port heavy cruises, like on the Epic in the Med, lots of people are exhausted after being in port and really don't need a meal like that every night

When we were on the Spirit in the summer, a couple who we met had the UDP. One of them was desperate about half way through just to have a quiet meal somewhere easy with no fuss. He never got it.

I love the speciality restaurants, but I would hate it every night. The most I've ever done is 5 on a 10 night cruise and that was plenty. The SDP is ideal for that, but the UDP was no use at all for us.

I hated the UDP.

There are great complementary options like o'Sheehans and the Asian places as well as the MDR's and the buffet (which can be a great option after a busy day) and many new cruisers were convinced by others to get the UDP and never even try them.

On port heavy cruises, like on the Epic in the Med, lots of people are exhausted after being in port and really don't need a meal like that every night

When we were on the Spirit in the summer, a couple who we met had the UDP. One of them was desperate about half way through just to have a quiet meal somewhere easy with no fuss. He never got it.

I love the speciality restaurants, but I would hate it every night. The most I've ever done is 5 on a 10 night cruise and that was plenty. The SDP is ideal for that, but the UDP was no use at all for us.

I've never bought the UDP, but when it's free, I don't care if I miss out on a meal in a specialty when I just feel like grabbing some sushi or something like that. I've never bought the SDP either, but I might going forward.

The new menus will be rolling out in January fleetwide. I liked the specialty food on Escape much more than before, and I liked Margaritaville. The MDR and O'Sheehan's were not as good.

I think the last Latitudes magazine indicated that it's going to be in March now.

Wow, I'll have to look at that! So, no a la cartes yet, other than Escape?

Updated..yup, mid-march roll out. Intersting!!

Wait, does this mean no charge for lobster/prime rib in the MDR through mid- March? Does anyone have a link to more info?

He created the minimum wage which means the cruise lines hire foreigners to save money which benefits all of us. We get to meet people from all over the world and see how hard working and polite they are which can help put an end to xenophobia.

I think that's a benefit to the cruisers.

No. Not really. Nothing we can see.

Any perceived positive is likely offset by higher cruise fares from now on. And the free promo high's can't last forever. Even the promos aren't as good.

I hope the MDR'S are better, they weren't all that good before.

However on a personal note he made so many changes not good for the cruiser that he allowed me the ability to get our group, 15 cabins, to cancel the upcoming NCL cruise. Some even had the old UDP.

That and a few posters on this and another site. Helped seal the deal.

And before anyone asks why I'm still here, its because I can be and I always like train wrecks. :D

Actually I say bravo to FDR and his inner "Ghostbusters" attitude,

"no fee is to big" policies.

He created the minimum wage which means the cruise lines hire foreigners to save money which benefits all of us. We get to meet people from all over the world and see how hard working and polite they are which can help put an end to xenophobia.

I think that's a benefit to the cruisers.

I assume this is tounge and cheek. FDR didn't invent the labor policies of the cruise industry. Most of those policies are pretty management friendly. And that is being kind.

We also get to meet others not so hard working and polite. Does this cure the opposite of xenophobia?