Has FDR done anything to benefit cruisers?

CruiserRob

We all know exactly what you were saying.

Anyway, you've hijacked this thread enough. I'm leaving it here.

Oh, have it your own way.

FDR has still not done anything for the cruising public. And is unlikely to do so in any material way.

I just don't understand how that is all making things better for the passenger. The UDP for 7 days was $15 more than the SDP for 4 days is now, yet it's viewed as great thing.

I still have an amazing time on my cruises, I can afford the changes, but I don't think they're a golden age by any stretch.

There is also a 3 day SDP which gives a bigger saving for those who just want a few meals. It certainly worked for me on the Escape.

Certainly the balance of the changes is negative, and by quite some way for many people. The fact that so few positives have been mentioned in this thread is evidence of that.

However, I don't think it's unreasonable to point out the few positives, especially when someone specifically asks.

People shouldn't make the mistake of assuming that just because some of us have something good to say about NCL it means that we are unreservedly in favour. I have no strong feelings either way about NCL as a company, but the product they offer works well for me at the moment, and is fairly comfortably within the price I would expect to pay for it.

I have friends who have decided to go elsewhere and given their circumstances I don't blame them at all. I'm just not at that point.

Absolutes will get us nowhere.

The OP asked a question.

This fare or that fare, this year, last year, not really important.

No he has not done anything for the cruiser. Only investors. And even that is shaky in the short term. And perhaps beyond.

Well you are wrong according to some other people who have already posted about some of the changes that they like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is also a 3 day SDP which gives a bigger saving for those who just want a few meals. It certainly worked for me on the Escape.

Certainly the balance of the changes is negative, and by quite some way for many people. The fact that so few positives have been mentioned in this thread is evidence of that.

However, I don't think it's unreasonable to point out the few positives, especially when someone specifically asks.

People shouldn't make the mistake of assuming that just because some of us have something good to say about NCL it means that we are unreservedly in favour. I have no strong feelings either way about NCL as a company, but the product they offer works well for me at the moment, and is fairly comfortably within the price I would expect to pay for it.

I have friends who have decided to go elsewhere and given their circumstances I don't blame them at all. I'm just not at that point.

I agree with you 100%. I'm still here, and others have been chased away. The things I heard on the Escape from people blew my mind, so many people were irate. I had issues, but still had an amazing trip.

I also understand the mindset that if a person bought a plan that covered for 7 days, they might feel you need to use it for 7 days, even if 2 of those are totally free.

I guess I don't see how this could be a golden era for FDR, when the promos were already in place, without service charges even if all of the fares were the same.

You're now paying 20% more for a lot of things.

I just don't understand how that is all making things better for the passenger. The UDP for 7 days was $15 more than the SDP for 4 days is now, yet it's viewed as great thing.

I still have an amazing time on my cruises, I can afford the changes, but I don't think they're a golden age by any stretch.

I am fascinated by how people are duped into buying into the marketing spin. I also view the question as one that can be answered by thinking about the linear math (total cost of cruising) relative to the improvement in the service and the ship.

I haven't even sailed yet and I already switched to Celebrity for the cruise after this one. I don't like confusion and muddled expectations so this brand is not for me.

What's interesting is that X too is rolling out amenity based cruising bundles and based on those boards' comments long time cruisers loyal to the X brand are bailing and upset that prices are exceeding the value and product provided. A lot of people on those boards are able to do the math to see their price per night per person has gone up significantly.

Well you are wrong according to some other people who have already posted about some of the changes that they like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think not.

Some positives can be discounted based on who is actually benefitting.

I guess I don't see how this could be a golden era for FDR, when the promos were already in place, without service charges even if all of the fares were the same.

My post was in the context of where I fear prices will go in the future, not where things were previous to him taking the helm.

Regardless - I always enjoy your posts & perspective. :)

What's interesting is that X too is rolling out amenity based cruising bundles and based on those boards' comments long time cruisers loyal to the X brand are bailing and upset that prices are exceeding the value and product provided. A lot of people on those boards are able to do the math to see their price per night per person has gone up significantly.

Shocking news. So who is your next cruise line after X?:rolleyes:

1. The food is better.

2. The ambiance is a little nicer (no trays in the hallways)

Other than that, it's hard to determine what actions are his, and which are Andy's....

I'm currently on the Dawn and I have to say, it is a pleasure to walk down the hallways without trays and plates of food sitting out. They are doing a great job picking them up.

What's interesting is that X too is rolling out amenity based cruising bundles and based on those boards' comments long time cruisers loyal to the X brand are bailing and upset that prices are exceeding the value and product provided.

These are the same posters that were bailing on Celebrity because they changed the Captain's Club a few years ago, but they are still around posting and signing up for the roll calls and sailing with Celebrity, so I doubt they will leave over this either.

To answer the OP's question, for me, no.

I see higher prices, less customer service, more things charged for, receive less than what I signed up for, and therefore less value; this is for way that I cruise and what I am looking for when I do.

I do accept that this all subjective.

Have I stopped cruising NCL, no? It is just not my first go to when I am looking for a cruise.

Happy and safe cruising all! :)

Edited by Cruisercl

Shocking news. So who is your next cruise line after X?:rolleyes:

Hah! I find Crystal intriguing but way expensive for a family of 4 or 5 if mom tags along. But Norwegian is out. The company chased away a potential repeat customer by putting the "c" in Confusing Cruising :)

Edited by duchesslt

Lol but you know it's never really " free"[emoji79][emoji41]

I've been keeping an eye on my gem 10 day price

I booked back in April with zero amenities. $1800 for our inside triple port and tax included

When I checked in October and with "free" amenities it was around $2600

Also since we're are 3 pax...the amenities only cover the first 2 pax

Now I admit I book very early and if I had booked later with the amenities I would "think" I got a good deal too. Lol

We booked the 10 day Gem on the last day of the April promo, got UBP and KSF. Checked again in mid-May, the promo was not the same and the room went up around $500.

Hah! I find Crystal intriguing but way expensive for a family of 4 or 5 if mom tags along. But Norwegian is out. The company chased away a potential repeat customer by putting the "c" in Confusing Cruising :)

I don't know....I think the 'c' is useful.

I wouldn't be sure what onfusing ruising even WAS....

stephen

I don't know....I think the 'c' is useful.

I wouldn't be sure what onfusing ruising even WAS....

stephen

I am so tempted to post words without c that sum up my opinion of what FDR is currently doing to NCL - but - I'm sick of having witty, pithy posts modded so I leave it (probably temporarily), to the reader's imagination.

I'm not a cheerleader or a troll ... I'm really trying to understand what people want ?? Ballpark... 7 day basic Caribbean cruise. Family of 4. Balcony. What should it cost? What should you get for your proposed acceptable price? Realistically ! Not excessive boot licking for a fair price.

(My emphasis) therein lies the nub of the problem at the moment - what you sign up for in good faith, is often not what you end up getting. Each component of the chipping away/extra charge/extra gratuity is not - in itself - particularly significant, but the totality is very significant.

When you add them all together, they represent a significant difference from the original deal (and not in the customer's favour).

The cheerleaders will no doubt try to beat me to death with their pom-poms for saying this:rolleyes:. I shall use the stick that I flogged the dead horse with - who wins? You decide.

FDR's plan, reduced to its simplest form, is to increase the quality of the onboard experience (dining, decor, etc.) using the resources of NCLH's upper tier brands and then subsequently raise prices.

Those who have sailed on Escape know that both the new complimentary and specialty dining menus have received fairly significant upgrades. Some of the "new" dishes are actually straight from Oceania's recipe book.

In terms of decor, NCL ships are going to get some major improvements. Escape and the newly refurbished Epic and Gem are infinitely more tasteful than the neon nightmares of previous regimes. Again, diving into FDR's experience and resources from Prestige to raise the bar at NCL.

There's a lot more going on behind the scenes, and a lot of it is becoming very ugly, but these are some of the more positive changes that passengers can look forward to in the coming years.