Has FDR done anything to benefit cruisers?

CruiserRob

He created the minimum wage which means the cruise lines hire foreigners to save money which benefits all of us. We get to meet people from all over the world and see how hard working and polite they are which can help put an end to xenophobia.

I think that's a benefit to the cruisers.

And thanks to Social Security I can take more cruises, tip those foreigners. Thank you FDR.

I have not read of any improvements or changes that would cause me to spend the higher fares that I have been seeing (I do recognize that some people are still seeing good deals).

Or are at least saying they are.

Some will never utter a discouraging word, no matter what.

Like a spin room for a politician.

I have not read of any improvements or changes that would cause me to spend the higher fares that I have been seeing (I do recognize that some people are still seeing good deals).

There is a one day cruise now available for $29, hard to beat. Gem out of PR next October /November same as when first posted, and booked a year ahead of time with AARP discount and a choice of 2 of the 4 things offered is as good as its gonna get.

I actually question whether this will eventually be viewed as the golden era of FDR's reign. If you're flexible, I think the deals right now are tough to beat. I currently have cruises booked with UBP and SDP at fares comparable to what I paid MANY years ago, and back then I received no perks and the ships had much less to offer (dare I say no slide and no option for margaritaville :)).

I'm more concerned with the possibility of future fare increases than anything going on at the moment. I've seen an Andy Stuart interview on YouTube where he overly stressed that passengers are getting way more than they're paying for when stepping on an NCL ship. I can't disagree, and the fact that this is a talking point has me concerned about what's to come.

The one thing that I hope is on our side... this industry is getting more and more competitive. I'm hopeful that each line has to fight for passengers, and we all reap the benefits.

There is a one day cruise now available for $29, hard to beat. Gem out of PR next October /November same as when first posted, and booked a year ahead of time with AARP discount and a choice of 2 of the 4 things offered is as good as its gonna get.

A one day cruise. Lol

Only if you were an hours drive away and liked drinking.

I've never bought the UDP, but when it's free, I don't care if I miss out on a meal in a specialty when I just feel like grabbing some sushi or something like that. I've never bought the SDP either, but I might going forward.

Lol but you know it's never really " free"[emoji79][emoji41]

I've been keeping an eye on my gem 10 day price

I booked back in April with zero amenities. $1800 for our inside triple port and tax included

When I checked in October and with "free" amenities it was around $2600

Also since we're are 3 pax...the amenities only cover the first 2 pax

Now I admit I book very early and if I had booked later with the amenities I would "think" I got a good deal too. Lol

Lol but you know it's never really " free"[emoji79][emoji41]

I've been keeping an eye on my gem 10 day price

I booked back in April with zero amenities. $1800 for our inside triple port and tax included

When I checked in October and with "free" amenities it was around $2600

Also since we're are 3 pax...the amenities only cover the first 2 pax

Now I admit I book very early and if I had booked later with the amenities I would "think" I got a good deal too. Lol

Of course you don't know how much of that increase may have happened anyway, as fares tend to increase from the initial price.

Your point is valid though. There has, as far as I can tell, been a general increase in fares on many cruises compared to previous years.

Whether that increase has anything to do with the offers is again speculation. Also, in many cases the increase is outweighed by the value of those amenities offered.

I've never bought the UDP, but when it's free, I don't care if I miss out on a meal in a specialty when I just feel like grabbing some sushi or something like that. I've never bought the SDP either, but I might going forward.

Yes, if you have the UDP included then it really doesn't matter how much you use it.

But for many of us who would have had to buy it, it had very little appeal when it covered the entire cruise. The SDP is a far better option for those who like the specialities but don't want to go every day.

There's plenty of good deals and fares. If you are not seeing them you aren't looking.[/quote

I wll admit I'm not really looking anymore.

NCL only gets checked to compare to other lines for the same week.

Now I agree with you there are good deals on other lines

Of course you don't know how much of that increase may have happened anyway, as fares tend to increase from the initial price.

Your point is valid though. There has, as far as I can tell, been a general increase in fares on many cruises compared to previous years.

Whether that increase has anything to do with the offers is again speculation. Also, in many cases the increase is outweighed by the value of those amenities offered.

I priced a cruise on the Sky and a balcony cabin was $750-ish, more than double what the same cruise would have sold for before the Sky became all inclusive. They can't give things away and stay in business, it will not work.

In many cases the increase is outweighed by the value of those amenities.

This is speculation too. You see value.

One must assume we all see value the same.

This I highly doubt.

NCL only gets checked to compare to other lines for the same week.

Now I agree with you there are good deals on other lines

I have two reservations for inside staterooms booked on the Escape. One with kids sail free at $699pp for the two adults, and the other with UBP and SDP included for $649pp.

I have mid-ship balcony on Dawn post-drydock with UBP and SDP for $990pp.

I *think* these are pretty good deals. If someone wants to enlighten me to what's available elsewhere I'd be interested to know.

Edited by TheDougOut

I've said this before...

We sailed Eastern Caribbean on Getaway in 2014 the last week of May. Our booking promo was $50 OBC.

We have booked the Escape for May 2016, same itinerary, same week, same cabin location, and it was the same price as Getaway in 2014. Our booking promo this time was free UBP. That's what I call a good deal, folks.

I know some prices have increased, but the blanket statements about prices all increasing to cover the costs of the promos aren't true.

In many cases the increase is outweighed by the value of those amenities.

Well, considering I clearly stated that the the amenities outweighed the increase IN MANY CASES, it only takes a tiny leap of logic to see that I agree that the reverse is obviously true as well.

Sorry if this doesn't fit in with your prejudices, but the fact is that, for many of us, the current deals are a benefit and are saving us money. That clearly isn't the case for everyone, and I wouldn't for a second suggest that it was.

Absolutes will get us nowhere.

The OP asked a question.

This fare or that fare, this year, last year, not really important.

No he has not done anything for the cruiser. Only investors. And even that is shaky in the short term. And perhaps beyond.

Well, if you hadn't accused people of making up that they have got good deals then perhaps the discussion wouldn't have started.

You can't have it all ways I'm afraid.

I said no such thing. You infered thats what I implied.

Nevertheless fares are not something FDR has done for anyone cruising. Fares rise and fall long before he came along.

Fees seem to only rise on his watch.

I said no such thing. You infered thats what I implied.

Nevertheless fares are not something FDR has done for anyone cruising. Fares rise and fall long before he came along.

Fees seem to only rise on his watch.

We all know exactly what you were saying.

Anyway, you've hijacked this thread enough. I'm leaving it here.

I actually question whether this will eventually be viewed as the golden era of FDR's reign. If you're flexible, I think the deals right now are tough to beat. I currently have cruises booked with UBP and SDP at fares comparable to what I paid MANY years ago, and back then I received no perks and the ships had much less to offer (dare I say no slide and no option for margaritaville :)).

I'm more concerned with the possibility of future fare increases than anything going on at the moment. I've seen an Andy Stuart interview on YouTube where he overly stressed that passengers are getting way more than they're paying for when stepping on an NCL ship. I can't disagree, and the fact that this is a talking point has me concerned about what's to come.

The one thing that I hope is on our side... this industry is getting more and more competitive. I'm hopeful that each line has to fight for passengers, and we all reap the benefits.

I guess I don't see how this could be a golden era for FDR, when the promos were already in place, without service charges even if all of the fares were the same.

You're now paying 20% more for a lot of things.

I just don't understand how that is all making things better for the passenger. The UDP for 7 days was $15 more than the SDP for 4 days is now, yet it's viewed as great thing.

I still have an amazing time on my cruises, I can afford the changes, but I don't think they're a golden age by any stretch.

Edited by SuiteCruiser