Alaska with kids

azam71209

We are thinking of taking our well-behaved, curious 10 year old grandsons to Alaska. O is our favorite line and we love Regatta-but would prefer a ship that included Glacier Bay. I am not impressed with the kind of "kid" activities that the other lines seem to tout and the megaship ambience is definitely not appealing.

Should we take them anyway and enjoy a ship experience that we know will be great? Or risk a mainline ship that would have that port?

Anybody have experience with kids on an Alaska cruise?

Mary

We are thinking of taking our well-behaved, curious 10 year old grandsons to Alaska. O is our favorite line and we love Regatta-but would prefer a ship that included Glacier Bay. I am not impressed with the kind of "kid" activities that the other lines seem to tout and the megaship ambience is definitely not appealing.

Should we take them anyway and enjoy a ship experience that we know will be great? Or risk a mainline ship that would have that port?

Anybody have experience with kids on an Alaska cruise?

Mary

Your question is somewhat telling because Glacier Bay isn't a port, its a several hour long sail-through.

For most of Alaska, either on Oceania or elsewhere, your grandsons will have the opportunity of letting off some youthful steam (how I WISH that I could still generate it!) by getting TO the Glacier or the Goldmine etc., but Glacier Bay specifically is watching the scenery slowly glide by while a naturalist narrates on the PA system or the sound on your cabin TV.

Millennials, even the ones who love the Discovery Channel at home, sometimes cannot get past the lack of editing when experiencing something "real time".

We did Alaska with college friends on Princess in '05, and one of their "children", now twenty years of age, recently confided that while she enjoyed the Cruise, she found the commercially produced video that her parents purchased in the ships gift shop to be "much more exciting than actually being there".

As the presence of this child pushed her family from two cabins into being a three cabin group, I have not shared this last bit of information with her parents.

I think you should try "O" for this trip, you have ports that a kid will be happy with, take the train, top of the a Glacier and more........On the ship, dinners can be fun, bingo,movies in the room and room service. Wave's and being with you for a week.

Rick

Edited by ronrick1943

Have you looked at Celebrity for Alaska? They have programs specifically for kids, and the reviews are quite good. Oceania has nothing for your 10 year old grandsons, and they even admit as much on their website. During our 12-day cruise this past August on Marina, we saw only 2 children (a 2 year old and a 12 year old). Oceania is our favorite now also, and we have booked another on Marina for next summer, but I would not consider it the best ship for Alaska with almost teens. There just isn't anything for them to do. It would probably even be too cool for swimming in the pool.

Have you looked at Celebrity for Alaska? They have programs specifically for kids, and the reviews are quite good. Oceania has nothing for your 10 year old grandsons, and they even admit as much on their website.

There are some Alaska sailings that have children's programs on Oceania

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/experience/enrichment/youth-program/

No programs on any of the other ships or itineraries

Edited by LHT28

LHT28, thanks for that information. I was not aware that Oceania offered the youth program on some Alaska sailings.

Still, with no arcade, no children's pool, and no specific children's center, I will stick with the fact that Oceania is not a cruise line that I would choose when bringing younger people, especially with so many other cruise lines that actually cater toward families.

To be honest, one of the things that I liked most about our cruise on Marina was the fact that there weren't many kids -- as I said, just 2 that we saw. My husband and I have been there, done that. Our kids are grown, and I appreciate that there is a cruise line that does not "cater" to children. If I do ever have the opportunity to cruise with my grandchildren, I would choose a line that they would get the most enjoyment out of.

LHT28, thanks for that information. I was not aware that Oceania offered the youth program on some Alaska sailings.

Still, with no arcade, no children's pool, and no specific children's center, I will stick with the fact that Oceania is not a cruise line that I would choose when bringing younger people, especially with so many other cruise lines that actually cater toward families.

To be honest, one of the things that I liked most about our cruise on Marina was the fact that there weren't many kids -- as I said, just 2 that we saw. My husband and I have been there, done that. Our kids are grown, and I appreciate that there is a cruise line that does not "cater" to children. If I do ever have the opportunity to cruise with my grandchildren, I would choose a line that they would get the most enjoyment out of.

Even though Oceania does not cater to children people still bring them on the cruises ;)

The most we have had on a cruise was 8 & they were all well behaved

There will be nothing to do...well you teach him how to drink....most ofthe shoreex are NOT kid geared.... It may make you feel warm and fuzzy to bring a littleboy along andexcite him with your love... but you aint 10... he is...Ask your self is this trip for you or him?

He will feel likea 5th wheel... chances are he will have zero interaction with any one except you.

I feel you might be imposing your wants on a young child who may not share your interests.... at least I hope not at that age...

Let him be a kid...he will be thrust,all too soon into adulthood and theres no going back....Dont rob the boy....

With so many other lines Holland etc catering to young kids Oceaina would be my very last choice to take anybody under 30 on Holland goes into Glacier bay with national park rangers for a full day....They run programs Jr Ranger stuff perfect fo a 10 year old.... There will be none of that on Oceania ...even in Hubbard Glacier...

There are some Alaska sailings that have children's programs on Oceania

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/experience/enrichment/youth-program/

No programs on any of the other ships or itineraries

Any sailings that have kids programs are not for me. One of the reasons that Oceania has been great for us is there are no kids. Been there done that. Don't need to do it again. :):):)

I think you should be asking yourself "WHY NOT BRING THEM". "O" does have a small program, and the tours you can do would be great for kids. Like the train, helicopter ride to the top--WOW. Just walking in the towns. If you want a kid's program on a ship where you don't see them on another line---just take them to Chuckee Cheeze or what ever. I think you'll have a great time.

Rick

Any sailings that have kids programs are not for me. One of the reasons that Oceania has been great for us is there are no kids. :):):)

Not for me either

but at least they have them listed that have a program for people with little peeps that want to do Alaska :D

Personal choice

not for me either

but at least they have them listed that have a program for people with little peeps that want to do alaska :d

personal choice

yup. My choice is not to go on those cruises. :):):)

We took the grands aged 10 and 7 on a HAL Alaska cruise. There were maybe 20 kids on the ship. The was no children's pool or other child centered amenities. The kids club had mostly <gasp> educational activities. The girls loved it. I think it depends on your kids.

We took the grands aged 10 and 7 on a HAL Alaska cruise. There were maybe 20 kids on the ship. The was no children's pool or other child centered amenities. The kids club had mostly <gasp> educational activities. The girls loved it. I think it depends on your kids.

I have been also to Alaska with HAL and Oceania . When one is talking about kids HAL is King.... They have professional naturalists, teachers and and National Park Ranger naturalists on board for much of them cruise. Their enrichment programs are second to none from observation.... Classes, group discussions, enrichment activities. Its a class act and the Glacier Bay part is 12 hours long....all filled with nonstop activity for adults and children.

On Oceania the cruise director reads canned speeches at points of interest. His depth of knowledge goes only as far at the correct pronouncement of the script. Its an adult world, with facilities designed for adults enjoyment and the exclusion of kids. You just cant put some day nannys on board and expect any real quality ... the environment isnt conducive to that

Want to take a kid to Alaska....do him a favor go with a Holland cruise

There will be nothing to do...well you teach him how to drink....most ofthe shoreex are NOT kid geared.... It may make you feel warm and fuzzy to bring a littleboy along andexcite him with your love... but you aint 10... he is...Ask your self is this trip for you or him?

He will feel likea 5th wheel... chances are he will have zero interaction with any one except you.

I feel you might be imposing your wants on a young child who may not share your interests.... at least I hope not at that age...

Let him be a kid...he will be thrust,all too soon into adulthood and theres no going back....Dont rob the boy....

With so many other lines Holland etc catering to young kids Oceaina would be my very last choice to take anybody under 30 on Holland goes into Glacier bay with national park rangers for a full day....They run programs Jr Ranger stuff perfect fo a 10 year old.... There will be none of that on Oceania ...even in Hubbard Glacier...

Although I agree (and have posted as much here) that Oceania is not the line I would choose to bring a young person on, given so many other lines sailing in Alaska that have kid-oriented facilities, I think your tone is a little harsh. Let's not forget that the OP is bringing TWO grandsons -- not just one as your post infers. Therefore, the boys would have each other as companions too, along with their grandparents.

However, I think good advice to the OP is that if she wants her grandsons to come away with a real love of cruising, then she should consider giving them a cruise that would offer the best experiences for a kid.

Thanks to everyone who posted. All were interesting and provocative. I checked out a couple of other lines. HAL does not have a smaller ship, Pacific Princess no longer does an Alaska itinerary.

I did find out that Oceania decided in 2012 to add a kids program for some Alaska cruises. The program is modeled on one that Regent has had for years and appears to be educationally oriented. No arcades or disco, which is fine with me. Reviews for Regent were good for the younger kids, not so much for teens. I couldn't find any reviews for Oceania but I did notice that the Oceania program is only for kids 5-12.

The boys are really excited and had quite a bit of information about Alaska for 4th graders-the gold rush, the purchase of Alaska from Russia. When I told them that most people would be old like us and would expect them to be perfectly well-behaved at all times, they asked if the ship had a library so they could go there to read. Also liked the idea of crafts and Alaska oriented activities. And of course there will be lots of shore activities available.

I can certainly empathize with people who prefer a kid free environment. Oceania does identify which Alaska cruises have a kids program if you want an adults only atmosphere. However, be warned that some TAs do not seem to know anything about this and insist that Oceania does not have any kid programs.

Mary

It sounds like both you and the "kids" know what's coming and are happy with that - you did your homework well. They sound like well behaved and mature for age kids and I suspect that nobody will mind them. People generally only object to misbehaving children and they don't sound like they are the type.

Enjoy the cruise.

Edited by Paulchili