Advice Needed: Family member not joining the cruise

TracieABD

Hi Friends-

We have a cruise that leaves in 4 days. We originally booked (and paid for) 2 mini-suites. My DH and I were to occupy one suite. My mom and my DS were assigned to the other. I learned that my mother never purchased insurance for this cruise.

In July, my mother died. My DH, DS, and I plan to move forward with the cruise. We are actually taking a bit of my mom with us. We still have the two minis.

My question is what do we do at boarding? Obviously, my mom will not check in. What do we tell them at check-in? On the ship? etc...

We never removed her from the booking, as we would have lost her cruise fare and then would have had to pay the single suppliment for our son (as he will stay in his own cabin).

I am just getting worried that they are going to hit us with another fare at the port or on the ship.

Also, will we need to pay her gratuities? This is not really a problem, and we will be happy to do so, if required.

Is there anything else I am not thinking of?

Thanks!

Tracie-Lynn

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Definitely contact Princess ahead of time, just to see what they say. In the case of a death, some companies are very accommodating. I hope I never need to know, but I will be interested to hear what you learn. Please tell us here.

My fear in contacting Princess is that they will cancel my mom from the cruise- without a refund as she did not have insurance. Then they will charge my son a single suppliment which will be thousands of dollars. (a single suppliment can be more than twice the fare of two people).

My fear in contacting Princess is that they will cancel my mom from the cruise- without a refund as she did not have insurance. Then they will charge my son a single suppliment which will be thousands of dollars. (a single suppliment can be more than twice the fare of two people).

If you do it ahead of time......thats probably a pretty good chance thats what they will do.

I would just check in and say nothing.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

If you do it ahead of time......thats probably a pretty good chance thats what they will do.

I would just check in and say nothing.

Instinctively, I think you are right. What do I say when we check in or on the ship? Aren't they going to ask where she is?

I typically to not set out to deceive anybody... As a matter of fact, I can sometimes be a little too honest. But we have paid for the cruise and what it would cost for our DS to have his own mini. I don't think it would be fair to be penalized for that amount of money.

What does the cruiseline do when someone "misses" the ship?

Instinctively, I think you are right. What do I say when we check in or on the ship? Aren't they going to ask where she is?

I typically to not set out to deceive anybody... As a matter of fact, I can sometimes be a little too honest. But we have paid for the cruise and what it would cost for our DS to have his own mini. I don't think it would be fair to be penalized for that amount of money.

What does the cruiseline do when someone "misses" the ship?

I think maybe wait until arrival at the pier and tell them at check in.

I think at that point if its explained to someone in authority if they mention an extra charge.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I don't think you will run into any problem. It isn't unusual for family members/roommates to check in separately. So not having her there at check in won't raise any eyebrows.

It was after final payment, so the other half of the room was paid for and would not be refunded. There would be no need to charge your son a single supplement.

First....your son is 18 or older so that he can legally occupy a cabin on his own? In this case, it matters.

If he is 18, just don't say anything at check in. If they ask, she's on a different flight. OFTEN families check in separately. If he is not 18, he likely will not be allowed to check in without the adult in the cabin and there you have a problem. You can possibly move the players so he is sharing with one of the adults, but that puts you into a single supplement bind.

Yes, if you tell them in advance, you will be losing her fare + paying a single supplement. Not fair, I know but that's how it will happen. If you told them before the penalty date you would have gotten her deposit back but still been billed the supplement It would only have saved the port charges.

If son is 18, I'd just keep my mouth shut. She becomes a "no show." That's all there is to it.

As to the tips, ethically you should probably pay her tips as the servers are losing an otherwise paying spot in their seating station. Unless you put everything on one credit card, I don't think they can charge you for her "automatic" tips....she didn't check in. If you put everything on your credit card (the onboard portion of the trip), you may be billed for her tips. They will remove them if you ask.

I don't think you will run into any problem. It isn't unusual for family members/roommates to check in separately. So not having her there at check in won't raise any eyebrows.

It was after final payment, so the other half of the room was paid for and would not be refunded. There would be no need to charge your son a single supplement.

First....your son is 18 or older so that he can legally occupy a cabin on his own? In this case' date=' it matters.

If he is 18, just don't say anything at check in. If they ask, she's on a different flight. OFTEN families check in separately. If he is not 18, he likely will not be allowed to check in without the adult in the cabin and there you have a problem. You can possibly move the players so he is sharing with one of the adults, but that puts you into a single supplement bind.

Yes, if you tell them in advance, you will be losing her fare + paying a single supplement. Not fair, I know but that's how it will happen. If you told them before the penalty date you would have gotten her deposit back but still been billed the supplement It would only have saved the port charges.

If son is 18, I'd just keep my mouth shut. She becomes a "no show." That's all there is to it.

As to the tips, ethically you should probably pay her tips as the servers are losing an otherwise paying spot in their seating station. Unless you put everything on one credit card, I don't think they can charge you for her "automatic" tips....she didn't check in. If you put everything on your credit card (the onboard portion of the trip), you may be billed for her tips. They will remove them if you ask.[/quote']

There have been posts in the past where the person missing the cruise would lose their fare and the single left in the cabin would pay the 100% supplement add. Not always but it has happened.

Thank you all for your responses. FYI, my son is an adult who has long reached the age of majority. No worries there.

We are all still reeling, so we are not opting to bring a friend at this time. We did offer that to our DS, but he very politely declined.

I think we will just check in and roll the dice. I hate that cruise lines can be so finite about these situations. We are totally willing to forgo all of my mom's fare, we just dont't want to be double fared.

And I agree about the the gratuity. I think we will just leave that on and pay it.

Thank you all for your responses. FYI, my son is an adult who has long reached the age of majority. No worries there.

We are all still reeling, so we are not opting to bring a friend at this time. We did offer that to our DS, but he very politely declined.

I think we will just check in and roll the dice. I hate that cruise lines can be so finite about these situations. We are totally willing to forgo all of my mom's fare, we just dont't want to be double fared.

And I agree about the the gratuity. I think we will just leave that on and pay it.

I don't believe that will happen with no check in.

I am sorry for the loss of your Mom and that this is really getting to you.

I travel solo all the time. Cabin pricing is based on double occupancy. At most it is the price for 1 person in the cabin is the price of 2 people less the second person's port fees/taxes and no second set of gratuities. There is NO reduction for food not eaten. There is no need to do what you are planning. I think you have been misguided as to "single supplement" It is NOT MORE than twice the fare of 2 people. It really is more like single occupancy in cabin meant for 2 persons (as a base for pricing)

If final payment has been made there will be NO thousands of dollars due. Possibly a nominal fee for the manifest change. But my guess is that because of your mother's death they may wave that.

Call Princess and get it sorted out ahead of time and enjoy getting ready for your cruise without this over your head.

I do hope your son is over 18 or that will be a whole different story.

Edited by hpeabody

The problem is that OP is due to sail in 4 days. I am aware of one family who had a similar situation and called to cancel the "no show" person. They were both billed for that person (no refund on their cruise fare) and then charged the 200% single supplement as described above. So, they actually paid 3 cruise fares for a cabin that 1 person sailed in. That is wrong IMHO. They attempted to dispute this upon return from the cruise and were told that it was the standard policy.

True, if OP had canceled the grandmother prior to the penalty date, the worst situation would have been the single supplement (200% of cruise fare less one set of port charges and taxes). Now, Princess could insist on keeping the grandmother's fare as it is well past the penalty date and charge the single supplement as well.

With a "no show," my experience has been that there is no refund but also no price adjustment for the remaining guest...although some of the above posts state that there is some history of imposing the single supplement on the remaining guest. The real question is whether they are better off phoning Princess and throwing themselves on the mercy of the person on the phone (fully anticipating the single supplement but hoping for a refund of grandmother's fare) or just make grandmother a no-show and hope for no single supplement. They could lose either way, depending on how Princess feels.

First, I'm very sorry for your loss. I'm hoping I can help. My experience was not on Princess, but I'm guessing it may be similar policy. My husband and I recently returned from an NCL cruise. My brother n law booked his own cabin and was unsure if he would be bringing someone along at the time of booking. NCL suggested he pay for two passengers and that way he was covered. He did not have to pay the taxes on the 2nd "guest" unless he added them. He ended up traveling solo and had no issues. My point is I don't think they can charge you any more than what was paid since you all have already paid in full for two double occupancy cabins. A no show is a no show, but what matters is that the company has already been paid for the cabin. I cannot see them being able to charge more considering you can't get money back. I could be wrong, but maybe just do the "no show" to be on the safe side. My guess is you will not have any issues, you may even be able to get the taxes and port fees back...if you chanced it and called them. Please let us know the outcome, I'm hoping a TA may answer you as they may know the policies a bit better...

You say your mom did not have insurance. But does your son have insurance? If so that usually covers having the cabin mate not taking the cruise because of a covered reason. Obviously death would be a covered reason that his cabin mate could not sail with him. Call your TA or insurance company and Princess and get the facts regarding your situation.

I too am so sorry for your loss. It's nice that a part of her will be with you.

Let us know how it all turned out.

Edited by tennisobo

You say your mom did not have insurance. But does your son have insurance? If so that usually covers having the cabin mate not taking the cruise because of a covered reason. Obviously death would be a covered reason that his cabin mate could not sail with him. Call your TA or insurance company and Princess and get the facts regarding your situation.

I too am so sorry for your loss. It's nice that a part of her will be with you.

Let us know how it all turned out.

She did not purchase insurance for my son either.

I think she iis just going to be a no show.

First, I'm very sorry for your loss. I'm hoping I can help. My experience was not on Princess, but I'm guessing it may be similar policy. My husband and I recently returned from an NCL cruise. My brother n law booked his own cabin and was unsure if he would be bringing someone along at the time of booking. NCL suggested he pay for two passengers and that way he was covered. He did not have to pay the taxes on the 2nd "guest" unless he added them. He ended up traveling solo and had no issues. My point is I don't think they can charge you any more than what was paid since you all have already paid in full for two double occupancy cabins. A no show is a no show, but what matters is that the company has already been paid for the cabin. I cannot see them being able to charge more considering you can't get money back. I could be wrong, but maybe just do the "no show" to be on the safe side. My guess is you will not have any issues, you may even be able to get the taxes and port fees back...if you chanced it and called them. Please let us know the outcome, I'm hoping a TA may answer you as they may know the policies a bit better...[/quote

This response seems very logical.

Just a thought...if you are questioned about your mother as a no show, perhaps having

a copy of hr death certificate may be helpful. Being prepared can make a situation less stressful.

My sympathies for your loss.

My Dad passed during the Christmas season many years ago.

Time heals our hearts,but memories last for a long time.

I hope that you,your husband and son enjoy a relaxing cruise together.

Another vote for mom being a "no show". When I cruise with my family, we rarely check in together. We are traveling from all over the state, so we just meet up on the ship. No one has ever questioned us regarding the whereabouts of our traveling companions.

If anyone from the purser's office questions you, I would keep it simple and say that for personal reasons, she is unable to travel at this time. You probably won't have to pay tips for her or the port taxes.

My bad experience. I booked a repositioning cruise. Just a few days, really close to sailing. Why would I need insurance?

My cabin mate couldn't make it. She would not be a no show. She did not give me enough time to find a substitute cabin mate who would have sailed for "free" since final payment was already made (only $50 for a name change).

What happened to me? I had to rebook this cruise at a last minute rate PLUS pay a solo supplement of 100%. Can't remember why I couldn't keep the cabin...maybe it was a higher category and I needed to go cheap/interior.

You can bet I take out insurance every time there after.