Where to stay in Vancouver?

underthemoon53

Trying to figure out what hotel to book for our cruise leaving in June 2016 out of Canada place. I'm trying to stay under $200 dollars per night. Also trying to figure out how to get from the airport to the hotel to Canada place and whether to stay closer to the airport or Canada place. Any input would be amazing!

There are hotels in all price ranges in downtown Vancouver close to Canada Place. Here is a link to hotels in the area . Just select Canada Place and date.

You can also chose have far from the pier you want.

http://www.pre-cruisehotels.com/

Tax's from YVR (Vancouver International ) are fixed rate depending on what part of downtown.

Trying to figure out what hotel to book for our cruise leaving in June 2016 out of Canada place. I'm trying to stay under $200 dollars per night. Also trying to figure out how to get from the airport to the hotel to Canada place and whether to stay closer to the airport or Canada place. Any input would be amazing!
With the current currency collapse... you are looking for a room about $274 Canadian a night. Doing a search on Expedia... I recommend Sutton for Robson street ambience.

I recommend staying closer to downtown for restaurants and tourism opportunities. I recommend the cab for $31 (US$23) for the car load. Airport to Downtown is reasonably quick as Vancouver is a compact city.

Given your short time frame, I'd suggest staying downtown over an airport location. That will allow you to do a little sightseeing. Vancouver is a lovely city. Don't be in a rush to board the ship ! Have b'fast, check out, leave your luggage with the bellman, then explore for 5-6 hrs. Stanley Park alone offers gardens, beaches, totems, great views, and a fantastic aquarium.

If you look thru trip reports you'll find first-hand recommendations, such as the Best Western on Drake, Blue Horizon.

Mapleleaves - just a note - the Best Western on Drake is no more - the building was brought by a large educational organization with the aim to turn it into student housing - at present they are only allowed to convert 1/2 the rooms to student housing so they are booking the reminder as hotel rooms but I have no idea what rates or services they are providing.

While I live close by and frequent the White Spot in the building I have been too busy with Christmas volunteer assignments to check out what the hotel is offering.

It is operating under the name GEC Granville.

Cheers!

Dennis

I did a lot of research for my May 2016 trip and ultimately decided on Empire Landmark Hotel on Robson St. It seems like a good location and was significantly cheaper than other downtown hotels. I have read that it is older and likely not the nicest rooms you could find, but for the price we got it at (about $100) I won't complain!

The beauty of staying downtown is that everything is right there. It will be light until at least midnight so if you are downtown you will have plenty of time to get out and explore. I would suggest staying down there.

How does one define downtown? Where should one stay to be in the heart of things (say Grand Central in NYC or the Loop or River North in Chicago)?

Based on some interwebs research, I thought the Westin Bayshore had the best bang for the buck. But I might reconsider if it is too far from fun sights, downtown, city action, etc.

My main criteria was to be roughly downtown and above all to have a view over water and onto mountains. That seems special. It seemed that only a few places offered that, and the Pan Pacific was 2-3x more expensive than other options.

How does one define downtown? Where should one stay to be in the heart of things (say Grand Central in NYC or the Loop or River North in Chicago)?

Based on some interwebs research, I thought the Westin Bayshore had the best bang for the buck. But I might reconsider if it is too far from fun sights, downtown, city action, etc.

My main criteria was to be roughly downtown and above all to have a view over water and onto mountains. That seems special. It seemed that only a few places offered that, and the Pan Pacific was 2-3x more expensive than other options.

You are somewhat limited on the 'fun sights, downtown, city action' side of things at the Bayshore... it's right by the park, so really just the top end of the West End neighbourhoods are within a short walk. The park itself is of course fabulous, but strictly a daytime attraction.

Denman Street does offer a wide variety of restaurants, though mostly on the cheaper end, and walking all the way down it to English Bay is just a touch over 3/4 of a mile. On foot to Gastown or Yaletown is about a mile and Chinatown at least another 1/4 from either.

You don't say how long you're in town - if it's one night, you'll be fine (Stanley Park is usually the No 1 thing for most visitors to see) but if you plan to spend a while and want to check out other neighbourhoods then a hotel nearer the east end of downtown and/or nearer a SkyTrain station makes for much more flexible touring.

If views are top priority, you can book high floor rooms at Blue Horizon for likely a noticeable $ saving compared to the Bayshore and a bit closer to the action. Sheraton Wall Centre high floors also offer mountain or English Bay views, should be comparable or less than Bayshore too, and get you even closer to other neighbourhoods. Coast Coal Harbour, Marriott Pinnacle, and Pinnacle Harbourview all have some rooms with views of the North Shore mountains but might be rather narrow fields of view - there's a reason the PP charges so much!

Dear martincath,

That is a superb answer, and will begin to investigate along those lines ASAP. BTW, hoping to stay 2 nights pre cruise.

Many thanks!

D

Edited by Burpelson

The Pan Pacific, which is located over Canada Place, is absolutely WONDERFUL. I doubt you can book it for $200 a night but please check its rates for the dates you will need.

You can sometimes on hotwire. We are booked for June 17 for $180. With tax it comes to $217.

I don't think you can go wrong booking any 4 star hotel or above in the Coal Harbour area of Vancouver on Priceline or Hotwire.

We have stayed at a number of different hotels in this area at different times (paying anywhere in the $115 - $185 per night price range booking this way) and they have all been very nice, with good views if you get a room on a high floor.

You can check the price it would cost to book for your dates directly with the hotel and with other discount sites, for purposes of cost comparison.

I would not pay extra just to stay in a hotel right at the cruise dock because a taxi ride to the Canada Place pier from other hotels in the Coal Harbour area, with all your luggage, costs only about $10.

Actually, most of the area hotels are within easy walking distance of Canada Place, but with luggage on embarkation day it is easiest to take a taxi.

• 3 weeks later...

We booked the Sutton Place Hotel for $187 total for end of June. I believe that included a AAA discount. This was on a short list of hotels I considered well located and reasonably priced.

We booked the Sutton Place Hotel for $187 total for end of June. I believe that included a AAA discount. This was on a short list of hotels I considered well located and reasonably priced.

That's a good rate for that hotel. And it IS nicely located. I really want Fairmont Waterfront for my pre-cruise hotel in May but oh my :eek: There will have to be a price drop before I can book it :eek:

$187 US or CAD?

The latter is a good price at Sutton Place; the former not so much (not terrible, but I recall rates of below US$150 being mentioned the last couple of cruise seasons). With so much disparity in our currencies, any quoted price from a US resident using an online site needs clarifying - a steal in one currency can be a hose-job in the other!