A few inquiries about leaving from Galveston,TX.

DJLDRUMS

I can see you are not reading the posts very well. Re-read post #29.

Sen Pedro has an Enterprise rental car agency close to the cruise port that takes one-way rentals, is open on Sunday, and has a free shuttle to the cruise terminal. There is also an Avis in Long Beach that is a $20 cab ride from the cruise terminal. San Pedro has some nice hotels (Crown Plaza is very nice) where I did not have to pay a two-night minimum.

I have also stayed at the Crown Plaza in San Pedro a couple of times, it is nice. We took a cab from the airport to the hotel. Renting a vehicle isn't always the best or cheapest way to go. I have cruised out of Galveston many times and have always gotten the Hilton for one night pre-cruise. Stayed at the Hilton pre-cruise most recently earlier this year, one night. Your experience with Galveston (how many times again?) was your experience not mine. Spring 2016 was the first time I wasn't able to book the Hilton for one night during Spring Break pre-cruise. But I was able to get another Galveston Hotel.

Edited by Zou Bisou Bisou

I've cruised out of Galveston a total of 3 times. If you carefully re-read my post, when I mentioned that it appears Galveston "tolerates" the cruise industry, I used the word OPINION as a prefix to that sentence. It is a fact that what I said is my OPINION. However, everything I mentioned about rental cars, transfers, and hotels has been based on facts.

Your experience with Galveston (how many times again?) was your experience not mine. .

In case you missed it... (Emphasis mine)

Predicting this thread is going to be locked in 3...2...1

Edited by Camlott

I've cruised out of Galveston a total of 3 times. If you carefully re-read my post, when I mentioned that it appears Galveston "tolerates" the cruise industry, I used the word OPINION as a prefix to that sentence. It is a fact that what I said is my OPINION. However, everything I mentioned about rental cars, transfers, and hotels has been based on facts.

Note that I forget to mention some of the other negatives about Galveston, such as the propensity for fog at certain times of the year, those laws about using Texas stamped liquor while in port, or the attempts at taxing people as they leave the ship.

By the way, in the time I've been cruising, Port Canaveral has built two new cruise terminals, and Galveson has built zero.

But your information on Galveston hotels that you must book two nights at a Galveston hotel pre-cruise is not correct. I have two Galveston cruises booked for 2016 and have a hotel booked for each for one night stay in Galveston.

Again your experience is your experience. But it is not the only experience. We have fog, Florida has hurricanes. I take it you will not be sailing out of Galveston anymore as it seems to be far too difficult for you.

You are probably correct in that the time of year is an important element to the two-night stay thing.

I'm biased by the fact that we tend to cruise in the first week in January (after New Year's) and the first week of September. We've done this for many years, out of Florida (PC, Tampa, and FLL) San Juan, and Galveston. During those periods, I only ran into the two-night stay thing in Galveston. I guess we have just been unfortunate that something was going on in Galveston during those periods.

The first week in January is a very busy cruise week out of Galveston as the College kids aren't yet back in school and there tend to be a lot of families. Also the first week in September includes Labor Day which is a holiday.

But your information on Galveston hotels that you must book two nights at a Galveston hotel pre-cruise is not correct. I have two Galveston cruises booked for 2016 and have a hotel booked for each for one night stay in Galveston.

Again your experience is your experience. But it is not the only experience. We have fog, Florida has hurricanes. I take it you will not be sailing out of Galveston anymore as it seems to be far too difficult for you.

All the good hotels/ 4 star have required a 2 night stay the last few times I checked, such as Hilton and San Luis, I have seen moderate hotels that we could book. I want a hotel that has a nice lounge and restaurant and possibly live music such as Hilton and San Luis.

The first week in January is a very busy cruise week out of Galveston as the College kids aren't yet back in school and there tend to be a lot of families. Also the first week in September includes Labor Day which is a holiday.

Would not these conditions apply to Port Canaveral, Tampa, and Ft. Lauderdale too?

Would not these conditions apply to Port Canaveral, Tampa, and Ft. Lauderdale too?

Maybe. The fact is, while it may be difficult to find a one night stay pre-cruise in a Galveston hotel it is not impossible. If one plans in advance, one has no problem. I have always been able to get a one night stay pre-cruise in Galveston and I have been cruising from Galveston @ 15 years, and often.

I have had situations in Florida port cities where I could not get a one night stay pre-cruise but would be able to stay at that hotel for two nights pre-cruise. I just booked another hotel. I wouldn't presume that a two night stay was MANDATORY just because I was unable to book a one night stay.

Note that I forget to mention some of the other negatives about Galveston, such as the propensity for fog at certain times of the year, those laws about using Texas stamped liquor while in port, or the attempts at taxing people as they leave the ship.

Indeed. What a racket that is.

Edited by time4u2go

I'm not special, I just plan ahead. We have four rooms booked at the Hampton Inn for less than $200 each and includes breakfast.

Trying to book now for an April cruise is kinda late, just saying.

Excuse me, but I consider 7 months in advance plenty of planning ahead. Many hotels do not even register availability in advance of the prior year. In November, I spoke with several of the highest level hotels which we prefer such as Tremont House, Galvez and Harbor House and they all required 2 nights . We wanted to be close to the pier and have parking privileges. I never said that ALL Galveston hoteliers do this.

We prefer not to stay at motels. Even Holiday Inn Express tried to charge us for an additional night on one cruise and it took some time till AMEX could remove the charge, but they finally did. This attitude has left us with no desire to stay on island any longer. But since my family is cruising with us, I tried to inquire about our next cruise because they are out of state. Now they have elected to stay here in San Antonio where they are not charged for a night they will not be using and then driving down on cruise day.

So we get it that you have the opposite opinion of some of us, who also happen to be experienced Galveston cruisers. But our opinions are also valid...no need to adopt such an insulting tone with one of the most respected voices on these boards such as Bob.

Edited by BecciBoo

So make Galveston pay stay in Houston and come down the day of your cruise it is the 4th largest city in the Nation.

IMHO Galveston stinks brown water and a oil spell. but it is only 55 minutes from the house.

If you leave where you have to fly to cruise why not fly to Florida bigger better ships on night stays

If Galveston stays unpopular the prices stay low for cruises for us Texans.:(

Excuse me, but I consider 7 months in advance plenty of planning ahead. Many hotels do not even register availability in advance of the prior year. In November, I spoke with several of the highest level hotels which we prefer such as Tremont House, Galvez and Harbor House and they all required 2 nights . We wanted to be close to the pier and have parking privileges. I never said that ALL Galveston hoteliers do this.

We prefer not to stay at motels. Even Holiday Inn Express tried to charge us for an additional night on one cruise and it took some time till AMEX could remove the charge, but they finally did. This attitude has left us with no desire to stay on island any longer. But since my family is cruising with us, I tried to inquire about our next cruise because they are out of state. Now they have elected to stay here in San Antonio where they are not charged for a night they will not be using and then driving down on cruise day.

So we get it that you have the opposite opinion of some of us, who also happen to be experienced Galveston cruisers. But our opinions are also valid...no need to adopt such an insulting tone with one of the most respected voices on these boards such as Bob.

Hey Becci stop in Katy free room on Saturday night short drive in Sunday of course I have a minimum stay of two nights 2X0 = 0 Come on down.

Thanks Bob what are you messing with Hotels in Galveston for? Stay close to Kemah head down on Sunday.

I don't mess with hotels on the island anymore. Now that I have my own personal chauffeur, I can stay in Clear Lake at reasonably priced hotels.:)