3-1-1 Bag Contents

magiccruiser1

I have not flown in a long time, and did so with checked luggage. I am going to Miami next week for a cruise on the Divina, and want to know what goes in a 3-1-1 bag, and what can stay outside.

I have, all in 3 ounce bottles or travel sizes:

Shampoo

Body Wash

Hand Lotion

Toothpaste

Mouth Wash

I also have a bottle of shave lotion, but its a LOT more than I need even for a month I thought of using a solid shave soap instead. I was wondering if solids like deodorant, a chunk of shave soap, and stick sunscreen, and gold bond powder need to go into a 3-1-1 bag. All are well under 3 ounces. I'd prefer to keep them separate so I could an extra small bottle or two of the mouthwash.

Are you checking a bag or just using a carry on? If checking a bag just put everything in it and don't worry about it. If carry on.....I don't know how you are going to fit all that in one zip lock bag. I don't know what shave soap is but shaving cream in a can has to go in the bag. Deodorant goes in the little bag. How long is this cruise? If longer than a few days I don't think 3oz of body wash is going to last very long either.

If it is a liquid or gel it is supposed to go in the bag, so the shave soap will probably get by. Unless you need or desire a specific brand of stuff, I'd look at skipping the body wash and maybe the shampoo as the ships have them already. There is also a store on board most ships where toothpaste and mouthwash can be picked up on board. Another option is to grab stuff when you get to Miami after your flights and before you get to the ship. Ships don't have the goofy 3-1-1- rule. ;)

I'm flying in on Christmas, and sailing the next day, so I won't have a lot of time between in order to replace or purchase anything. I'm entertaining aboard the ship doing balloon animals, so my backpack will be filled with about 3,000 balloons packed into a space bag.

I have been searching around online, and cannot find much about stick deodorant or stick sunscreen going in a 311 bag.

Are you checking a bag or just using a carry on? If checking a bag just put everything in it and don't worry about it. If carry on.....I don't know how you are going to fit all that in one zip lock bag. I don't know what shave soap is but shaving cream in a can has to go in the bag. Deodorant goes in the little bag. How long is this cruise? If longer than a few days I don't think 3oz of body wash is going to last very long either.

Solid stick deodorant does not have to go in the 3-1-1 bag. When the 3-1-1 bag rule was originally created, it did, but now only roll on or spray deodorant has to. I haven't put mine in a bag in years and haven't had an issue. It doesn't mean that an ill-informed agent won't argue otherwise and win, but at least the rule is on my side.

TSA has a nifty little app to tell you how you can transport items (or whether you can bring them at all). https://apps.tsa.dhs.gov/mytsa/index.aspx

Solid stick deodorant does not have to go in the 3-1-1 bag. When the 3-1-1 bag rule was originally created, it did, but now only roll on or spray deodorant has to. I haven't put mine in a bag in years and haven't had an issue. It doesn't mean that an ill-informed agent won't argue otherwise and win, but at least the rule is on my side.

TSA has a nifty little app to tell you how you can transport items (or whether you can bring them at all). https://apps.tsa.dhs.gov/mytsa/index.aspx

This was incredibly helpful! Thank you!

Liquids and gels need to go in the bag, solids and powders do not. There has been some argument from TSA reps over the years as to what constitutes a "solid" though. At times pax have been told that if you can smear it then it's more gel-like than solid and must go in the bag. So, many have said things like solid deodorant, lipstick etc. must be included. I include my solid deodorant, but have never put my lipstick/chapstick in and it has never been questioned (and I fly a LOT).

As for the question someone raised about what can fit, what the OP listed should all fit easily. When I use a 3-1-1 bag (rather than putting in checked luggage) I can fit travel size tubes and bottles of face wash, moisturizer, hairspray, deodorant, toothpaste, sunscreen, mascara, hand cream, and several more.

You can actually get a LOT into a quart-sized ziploc bag. I can get about 10 or more items in there. Stick deodorant and soap, as mentioned above, do not need to go into it.

Even when I check luggage, I always bring a liquids bag with me. What if my luggage doesn't arrive with me? What if I choose to voluntarily get bumped? A change of clothes, my liquids bag, an empty water bottle (to fill up behind security) and a snack are always in my carry on luggage.

I'm flying in on Christmas, and sailing the next day, so I won't have a lot of time between in order to replace or purchase anything. I'm entertaining aboard the ship doing balloon animals, so my backpack will be filled with about 3,000 balloons packed into a space bag.

I have been searching around online, and cannot find much about stick deodorant or stick sunscreen going in a 311 bag.

I always put the solid deodorant in the 3-1-1 bag.

If you can spill it, spread it, smear it, squeeze it, spray it, pump it, or pour it then it needs to go in the 3-1-1 bag.

So pretty much all of my cosmetics? I was thinking about carrying them on...just because. But since I'm checking a bag, I really don't know if I want to deal with it.

So pretty much all of my cosmetics? I was thinking about carrying them on...just because. But since I'm checking a bag, I really don't know if I want to deal with it.

Depends entirely on what kind of "cosmetics" you're talking about. If they are solid or powder form, no. If they are liquid, aerosol or gel form, yes.

Depends entirely on what kind of "cosmetics" you're talking about. If they are solid or powder form, no. If they are liquid, aerosol or gel form, yes.

The only powder I have would be eye shadow...I have lipstick, foundation, concealer, oh its mostly "smear-able" so I think it would have to go in a baggie...