First Timer Lots Of Questions - Dawn Princess Freemantle

Thepominlaw

Hello All,

Completely new to cruising, tbh it’s not something I have ever considered I would want to do, the idea sounded totally the opposite of what I like in a holiday, now however I am sort of looking forward to it.

Problem is now I have no idea what to expect, take, do etc. This will be my ad my families first cruise ever I just hope it won’t turn out to be as bad as I fear. We are meeting up with family so the destination and location is fixed this cruise suits all, yes it’s a long way from the UK but as 90% of the family are in Australia its better that we go over there than they come over here.

We are flying to Perth next August, where we sail from Freemantle finally finishing in Singapore, the ship is the Dawn Princess that much I know, it’s a 12 night cruise, heaven or hell I don’t know yet.

Now come the questions, anyone been on the Dawn Princess? Reviews say it old and poorly maintained is this true surely I must be up to some sort of standard. We are travelling with our son who will be 16 (his first cruise too) desk plans don’t seem to show space for him (a bed) rooms seem to be twin which converts into double bed only. Cannot afford a suite, currently looking at interior cabin wondering if its worth spending on a window or even balcony.

Will a teenager be bored? Hell will I be bored J, like most teenagers he lives in the virtual world and everything is connected the ships no so though.

Is a balcony worth the expense (over an extra night in Singapore)

Whats the food like, I know some is included not imagining its much good and expecting to pay over the odds for the rest?

what do i need to take, tuxedo is it needed, what technology will work on the ship (phones, ipad), camera or phone?

I will stop there for now before I completely put myself off

I can only answer one of your questions: You son will have a bunk that either comes down from the ceiling or the wall. He will love it.

Food is very subjective. What I like may not be what you like. But there will be plenty of it. If you eat in the MDR, and don't care for what you ordered, you can ask for something else - without paying extra. In fact, if the waiter sees that you are not eating what you ordered, they may offer to bring you something else.

There is a board here for OZ/NZ cruisers, and you may get some feeling about the Dawn Princess if you ask your questions there. Although you are probably accessing Cruise Critic from an .au URL, CC members are overwhelmingly from the US/Canada, so most of us do not have any experience with Dawn Princess since she is based Downunder. EM

We got on the Dawn last August in Freemantle for a 17 day cruise around Australia's north end, finishing in Sydney.

To be honest, I think you are overthinking this. Yes, the ship is older, but it is maintained just fine. Food is totally subjective- but you certainly will not starve. You will find things to do, if you look, and you are interactive with the things going on around you.

Some reading on the Princess board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=197

would be very beneficial.

and the Australia board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=712

Heaven or hell? Seriously? You are on holiday!

Edited by CruiserBruce

Sounds like you have settled on Dawn? Yes, one of Princesses oldest, smallest ships. I was on it maybe 20 yrs. ago.I would look elsewhere. Your son may be bored. As maybe your relatives. I was in Aussie land this Spring on WC. Hope to go back next year. Lines tend to send their oldest, marginal ships there I will do Celebrity Solstice, a wonderful ship with everything. Cruise Critic rates all ships here under Reviews. Dawn is 3.5. (Never seen editor rating so low.) Solstice like 5.5.So look around before booking. January is WAVE season in US with excellent sales. An inside cabin for 3 will do fine and is best cruise buy out there. Just be sure to get one under other cabins ,not under noisy public spaces or on lowest couple of decks. Look for newer large ships which will have appeal to whole group.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I see from your photo post that you are already booked on the Dawn. As I understand it, people from the UK get charged for cancelling cruises to sail even on a different ship. Not wise to drop the Dawn now.

As for food, lots of opportunity for free food. The main dining rooms and the Lido are free. If you ask questions on the Princess board, people there will tell you what specialty restaurants there are and how much they cost per person.

I'm not sure if you have access to the Princess U.S. website, but if not, try the UK one. Lots of info about dining venues, deck plans, teen programs.

If there's lots of kids on board (if you're going on itineraries around here -- Caribbean, Alaska, etc. in August, many are on vacation), your son will find lots of friends.

My daughter was 13 and 15 on our last two cruises -- she slept in the bunk that came down from the wall. Her new friends went to shows, watched movies while in the pool (not sure if the Dawn has the MUTS screen, though), played video games, set up ping pong tournaments...

I was on the Princess Dawn in 2014 before it went into dry dock. It would have been better to be on her after dry dock when they replaced the carpets and redid the buffet. She is a fine ship, but I don't know her state right now.

They had an area set aside for teenagers, so I am sure your son will find something to do on sea days. We cruised outside OZ school vacation, but there was a family with 5 children on board. What I am trying to say is that there might be young people on board from countries other than Australia.

The food in the main dining room was decent. I also loved the pizza restaurant for lunch. Lots of people went to the buffet so that was crowded. It was way more leisurely to eat in the dining room.

The lecturers were good, so was most of the evening entertainment.

Our cruise was a circumnavigation of Australia with lots of elderly Australians on board. I found them fascinating to talk to. Most of them were always up for a talk, they were friendly, outgoing, easygoing and not prone to complaining.

About the cabin. Our tablemates had an indoor cabin. They put the TV Channel on the ship's camera to see the weather outside. They spent their sea days in the lounges chatting with other passengers. She brought her knitting. Personally, I need a window or a balcony because I like to spend time quietly looking at the ocean and reading.

Edited by Floridiana

We got on the Dawn last August in Freemantle for a 17 day cruise around Australia's north end, finishing in Sydney.

To be honest, I think you are overthinking this. Yes, the ship is older, but it is maintained just fine. Food is totally subjective- but you certainly will not starve. You will find things to do, if you look, and you are interactive with the things going on around you.

Some reading on the Princess board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=197

would be very beneficial.

and the Australia board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=712

Heaven or hell? Seriously? You are on holiday!

Thanks

Sounds like you have settled on Dawn? Yes, one of Princesses oldest, smallest ships. I was on it maybe 20 yrs. ago.I would look elsewhere. Your son may be bored. As maybe your relatives. I was in Aussie land this Spring on WC. Hope to go back next year. Lines tend to send their oldest, marginal ships there I will do Celebrity Solstice, a wonderful ship with everything. Cruise Critic rates all ships here under Reviews. Dawn is 3.5. (Never seen editor rating so low.) Solstice like 5.5.So look around before booking. January is WAVE season in US with excellent sales. An inside cabin for 3 will do fine and is best cruise buy out there. Just be sure to get one under other cabins ,not under noisy public spaces or on lowest couple of decks. Look for newer large ships which will have appeal to whole group.

Dont have a choice unfortunately we are heading over from the UK and its the only sailing that fits in with every one elses timescales and the UK school holidays.

Edited by Thepominlaw

• 1 month later...

Anyone used one of these on the Dawn? The U.K. one specifically with a uk to Australia plug adapter. Wondering if there is enough clearance to use at desk as Australian plugs are upside down compared to uk ones

c5977bdf46113a2897e122c18eb25d25.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Thepominlaw

Anyone used one of these on the Dawn? The U.K. one specifically with a uk to Australia plug adapter. Wondering if there is enough clearance to use at desk as Australian plugs are upside down compared to uk ones

c5977bdf46113a2897e122c18eb25d25.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Double check the surge protector on that. Mine looks a lot like that picture, and it has a built in surge protector.. And surge protectors, for reasons I do not try to fully understand, are not supposed to be used with ship's electrical systems.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2304532&highlight=surge+protector

I hope you decide you enjoy cruising. I wasn't sure either, but at the end of my first cruise with Princess, I was already making my bucket list of cruise itineraries to come.