Do you think HAL will cruise to Cuba?

kevingastreich

Whether HAL sells cruises to Cuba or not I WILL NOT be on any of them. Seems to me that a people who disregard the welfare of their own people should not be rewarded.

Joanie

And do you really believe that the poor people of Cuba suffer more than the poor people of other Caribbean Islands?

I have difficulty at times of explaining my meanings in posts sometimes, and I apologize for that.

Joanie

I thank you for that. Sometimes I get much more argumentative in writing than in the flesh.

So I also apologize if my reply seemed rude.

I was referencing Havana, not Varadero.

I don't think cruise ships will dock at Vardero and Havana needs better docking, harbor work to accommodate many cruise ships.

You did say that Cuba was not ready for a huge influx of tourists to flood the ISLAND (your term). I was merely pointing out that the huge groups of tourists were already there and are being accommodated very nicely. The rest of the world has been enjoying Cuba for years.

Cruise ships? Yes, docking facilities would need to be improved. We checked out the dock right next to a huge market area and there was room for improvement.

Whether HAL sells cruises to Cuba or not I WILL NOT be on any of them. Seems to me that a people who disregard the welfare of their own people should not be rewarded. Though rewarding the country might look to be rewarding the people, it is not since the $$$ would not be going to the working class who really deserve it and actually do the work:(

I look at it as a comparison to those on these CC Boards who say they are unhappy with the low pay the HAL Crew makes and yet think nothing about cruising to places like Cuba, China, Vietnam, etc....

Not trying to start an argument, just stating my thoughts.......

Joanie

Is Mexico OK with an average wage of $8 something a day with a minimum wage of $70.10 Pesos a day in Zone A and $66.45 Pesos a day in Zone B which equates to a little over $4 a day.

Whether HAL sells cruises to Cuba or not I WILL NOT be on any of them. Seems to me that a people who disregard the welfare of their own people should not be rewarded. Though rewarding the country might look to be rewarding the people, it is not since the $$$ would not be going to the working class who really deserve it and actually do the work:(

I look at it as a comparison to those on these CC Boards who say they are unhappy with the low pay the HAL Crew makes and yet think nothing about cruising to places like Cuba, China, Vietnam, etc....

Not trying to start an argument, just stating my thoughts.......

Joanie

Actually a lot of the people working in the resorts and as tour guides are professionals who are augmenting their income. They directly benefit as the tourists don't come empty handed. It is a given that you don't go to Cuba without a suitcase full of school supplies, OTC drugs, cosmetics, drugstore supplies etc. That is more valuable to the workers than cash and a job in one of the resorts is highly prized. Your waiter could be a doctor and our last Havana guide was an English professor.

We know people who go every year and even have wish lists that they fill for their favourite resort staff. Tourism is huge and jobs working with tourists are highly sought after because the visitors are so generous.

Cuba has to be the cleanest island in the Caribbean. Everything is spotless and you don't see the garbage in the streets that you see elsewhere. Everyone comments on that. Even the most impoverished neighbourhoods are immaculately clean.

Sixty years of demonization have served to create a special place for Cuba in American political thinking. A small--but influential--voting bloc in a swing state means that Cuban policy punches far above its weight.

There are plenty of places where exploitation of workers and treatment of citizens is worse than what is found in Cuba. Despite the invasion/subourning of Ukraine, HAL continues to sail to Russia. Despite widespread exploitation of urban workers, HAL continues to sail to China. The horrific working conditions of migrant workers in the Emirates haven't stopped calls at Dubai.

But the presence of the US embargo and the legislative framework surrounding it means that the legal environment for American companies doing business there will be murky for a long time to come. And it is that--not local conditions--that will stop any Carnival brand from calling at Cuba any time soon.

So Cuba will remain destination of choice for Canadians and Europeans, but we'll have to fly there.

Cuba is a great place to visit. I do not think it matters if cruise ships, including HAL, stop there.

I would suspect that at some point there will some very regular, very assessable sea and or air transport that will allow folks to get there quickly.

Cuba is a wonderful country with very friendly people. A quick port stop would not be enough time. I would hate to see it become another St. Thomas.

I agree with you, and hope to see Cuba remain unspoiled, but as it is, it's a wonderful place for a vacation. Clean, the resorts are world-class, and the people very friendly. Canadians have been vacationing there for many years, and it is way better than some of the Caribbean islands. It seems to me that concerns about human rights are unfounded - I'd worry more about other countries in the world in that regard, that the US trades with.;) The "working class" do very well out of the tourism industry. Stopping there on a cruise ship wouldn't be my choice, I would prefer to stay for a week.

I hope the cruise ships start calling there soon. It is hard to imagine they haven't been working on plans already. They had to have been seeing the path to Americans being permitted to go to Havvana/Cuba has been going forward for a while now.

"In 2014, the Obama administration announced its intention to re-establish relations with Cuba. In January 2015, the Administration lightened restrictions on U.S. citizen travel to Cuba. While restrictions on travel for missionary work and education have been loosened, visits for tourism remain banned.

President Obama and President Raúl Castro of Cuba met on April 11, 2015, which was the first meeting between distinct leaders of the two countries in over fifty years. In May 2015, several American companies reported they had been granted licenses to establish ferry travel between Florida and Cuba, with a U.S Department of Treasury spokeswoman confirming they had begun issuing licenses. However, as of yet the general ban on travel to Cuba remains in effect for Americans, and so the ferry service will not be accessible to Americans who have not received special approval for travel to Cuba"

"In 2014, the Obama administration announced its intention to re-establish relations with Cuba. In January 2015, the Administration lightened restrictions on U.S. citizen travel to Cuba. While restrictions on travel for missionary work and education have been loosened, visits for tourism remain banned.

President Obama and President Raúl Castro of Cuba met on April 11, 2015, which was the first meeting between distinct leaders of the two countries in over fifty years. In May 2015, several American companies reported they had been granted licenses to establish ferry travel between Florida and Cuba, with a U.S Department of Treasury spokeswoman confirming they had begun issuing licenses. However, as of yet the general ban on travel to Cuba remains in effect for Americans, and so the ferry service will not be accessible to Americans who have not received special approval for travel to Cuba"

There are so many categories of Americans who are eligible for exemptions, as soon as regularly scheduled flights are available, a great many will fit into one allowed category or another and I suspect there will be lots of applications for exemption.

Edited by sail7seas

I'm really not sure... I truly cannot trust a Castro. I sorry all if you don't agree and don't remember, but I do. I would love travel to Cuba because of the history, but I would truly hesitate. Trust is difficult to get back....

To go to Havana for a cruise stop, what trust do you need for a Castro? Are you afraid Castro won't let you leave? :D

I would be amazed if CCL isn't already plotting a strong future for cruises to Cuba.

It would not surprise me if they do a deal with Cuba similar to what they just did in Barcelona to build a massive new cruise terminal. (google it)

There is a huge demand in USA for people who would like to visit Cuba. It would seem to be the type of destination where the cruise lines will offer overnight stays as there is a lot to see and do there....and I suspect that a lot of Americans will prefer to sleep/eat mostly on a cruise ship docked there rather than dealing with hotels/restaurants and various infrastructure that may well not be able to handle all the new demand as more airlines pour into Cuba. 7 day cruises with perhaps two overnights in Cuba could be very popular and the shore excursion revenues could be huge.

As a CCL stock holder I suspect that over the coming years Cuba will become a big additional profit center for CCL especially if they can do some kind of joint venture to build/run new port facilities.

Between up and coming Cuba and all the new activitiy in Asia and Australia/NZ I am pretty confident that CCL is going to become even more of a global brand and will tap into a lot of new markets.

Yes there will be competition but CCL seems well positioned to be the leader.

My two cents worth.

Actually, I’m not afraid of any name…anyone or anything. What I am concerned about is the current Cuban government’s motive…do I think they are honest and trustworthy…. No.

I believe, without being too political ….our current elected government officials are only interested in obtaining vintage cars (LOL) …I remember what happened way back….do you?

I’m proud to be an American... I lived through it, but will I travel to Cuba anytime soon…NO.

You all can say whatever you want on this post, I’m not going to comment again on this subject matter again.

Happy Holidays!

We have only stayed a few times in Varadero but I can say the area has beautiful resort hotels for miles and miles along the beach---one after the other. Tourists flock there from all over the world and many of the big name resorts are there.

Foreign investment has been taking place there for a long time. You guys have just been missing the boat.

Tours are provided on modern tour busses of the type one expects on a European shore excursion.

The Cuban people are very friendly, well educated and welcoming, and it is one of the few places in the Caribbean where we have never been particularly concerned about personal security.

There are other similar popular areas around Cuba as well that are flooded with tourists.

Yes, personally I think it's ridiculous that politics has kept Americans from Cuba while the rest of the world gets to go. :confused: