What's better: Hawaii or Alaska?

KruzeKrazy!

Alaska, but we're going to do two-weeks land-based (self-drive). What Karysa said.

I'm planning Homer and Copper River instead of Seward to Denali.

On the other hand, I live 15 miles from the Pacific in a near-Mediterranean climate, so that might make Hawaii less of an attraction.

That sounds like a wonderful trip. I will have to once again convince DH to go to Alaska but I think experiencing it this way would be wonderful.

If I were going to Hawaii I would not bother to cruise, unless I just wanted the sea days. In fact we have decided that for AK, it is also better, as repeat visitors, to do land vacations instead of cruising because there is only so much that you can do in the SE AK ports.

Round trip from SF, you are not going to get any inside passage if you go to AK, so that is a non issue.

I guess if I was set on cruising out of SF, and AK and HI were my two choices I would just flip a coin.

Edited by zqvol

OP I love reading people's opinions and like you hope that someone has thought about something that I did not think about. The people posting that its your decision so do what you like clearly missed the point of the thread. Brainstorming is often very productive I find.

My vote is Alaska.

Plenty of pretty beaches in the world but Alaska is soo sooo incredible.

My DH always wanted to sail Alaska but I always said No Way. Boston is home and I see plenty of ice and snow. I can do whale watches ten minutes from home. Mountains aplenty in Vermont and NH but he persisted and I finally said, "Okay, you have rights, too." :D

I was determined to go with a smile on my face, put up with the cross country flight and be a 'good sport'. From the first moment I set eyes on the snow capped mountains in Alaska, I was so happy we went. I loved it there and I was the last person in the world who wanted or cared about liking it.

My DH became ill and passed away not long after and I am so grateful today we did that cruise. Out of about 95+ cruises, it was high on our list of 'bests'.

IMO

Edited by sail7seas

sail7seas -

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm so glad you made it to Alaska as a team.

Before our first Alaska visit I always said cruises should involve beaches and palm trees but my wife always wanted to do an Alaskan cruise.

So I broke down and surprised her with an Alaskan cruise for our 35th anniversary. Two years later we did another one.

And now I'm the one wanting to go back a third time!

Ahh, the rewards we get when we think of our spouses before ourselves.... sometimes. :)

Alaska is a very special place and we were so lucky to have the opportunity to see a bit of it.

Love your photo inn your signature. Beautiful.

Hope you have many more incredible cruises together. :)

I haven't been on the Hawaii cruise yet but will probably do it this winter. I did Alaska from Seward to Vancouver and enjoyed it, but I am not into cold. I stayed a week in Vancouver and enjoyed that as much or more than the Alaska cruise. Another Alaska cruise is not at the top of my list.

I don't know what the Hawaii cruise will be like, but I prefer sunny days at sea.