What's better: Hawaii or Alaska?

KruzeKrazy!

We've been to most of the Hawaiian Islands (fly/land vacation). We've also cruised Alaska twice - once out of Seattle and once out of SFO.

We like both destinations and both would have some repeat aspects which doesn't bother us. BTW, we do love sea days...

Either way we want to go out of SFO as our DS and DDIL live there.

Any thoughts?

Edited by KruzeKrazy!

That's like asking what is better, chocolate or vanilla and then say that you like them both. We like them both. Hawaii and Alaska and, chocolate and vanilla. I guess it boils down to what you are in the mood for when you pull the trigger for the order (or cruise booking). Have fun and enjoy no matter which you decide on.:cool:

Edited by ar1950

I've done both cruises twice. Enjoyed them tremendously. Would gladly do either one again. I guess if I had to choose though, I would pick Hawaii, mostly because it's a longer cruise to a warmer destination.

Edited by Jasperdo

I've done both cruises twice. Enjoyed them tremendously. Would gladly do either one again. I guess if I had to choose though, I would pick Hawaii, mostly because it's a longer cruise to a warmer destination.

OK, so I'll play Devil's Advocate. You can go to Hawaii very nicely in other ways than cruising. You can only see the Inside Passage and the glaciers of Alaska by cruising. So I would choose Alaska.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

Not looking for others to make our decision -- just not opposed to others' thoughts that may help lead to a somewhat more informed decision. More info is better than less...

That would be a problem. When you enjoy both itineraries, and for totally different reasons, that makes it a chore for others to try to make any reasonable list of one over another. You may find it better to make your own having been to both locations. If you like sea days and ultimately a warm climate, maybe Hawaii is better. If you like shore days and a colder climate then maybe Alaska would be better. Again, have a great cruise no matter the choice.

Love both Alaska and Hawaii for different reasons. But you are limiting yourself a little if will only go from SFO. Why not fly up to Anchorage and cruise to Vancouver? There's that much more stunning scenery to see in addition to two areas with glaciers.

azbirdmom -

Doing a one-way Alaska cruise and including some interior/Denali time certainly is a possibility.

It's just that our son and wife are expecting their first and our very first grandchild so we'd love to include a visit to them (who will also take us to/from the pier and do the BVE with us).

So while limiting the cruise options going out of SFO offers other desired options.

Edited by KruzeKrazy!

I don't think that I would do a cruise to Alaska again. Next time I would want to stay longer and I found the ports overrun by tourists. Also getting back on the beautiful Celebrity Solstice just felt odd after whale watching or hiking to a glacier. I would rather rough it a little next time in Alaska.

My first trip to Hawaii is not until 2017 and will be a land and cruise vacation so I can't comment on Hawaii just yet.

Karysa -

Not that's a very valid point. After two Alaska cruises we've been to nearly every port and both Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm. So our next Alaska visit maybe should be a fly and land experience to continue seeing parts we haven't yet.

That said, a Hawaii cruise would be to islands we've already been to. But it IS Hawaii and there are those sea days we love... :D

Edited by KruzeKrazy!

We've also done both from Frisco. Alaska is beautiful and I enjoyed the experience very much, but not necessarily a repeat-visit place for me, imo. OTOH, I could be restricted to Hawaii for the rest of my vacationing life and be perfectly happy.

With that said, for two weeks, I'll fly to the islands and spend the whole time there. I was blessed to have the opportunity to cruise there w/family for the holidays, but too many sea days for me. And I've heard enough negatives about the inter-island POA cruise, I'll pass.

Whichever you choose, OP, have a great time.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Edited by pseudoware

For us, handsdown Hawaii!! :)

We did Vancouver to Seward on RCL Radiance and with several days in Vancouver prior to cruise, and two weeks by Alaska Rail DIY for land travel in Alaska. We won't be revisiting Alaska, we saw all we were interested in seeing.

We did Sydney to Honolulu on RCL Shapsody then spent ten days between O'ahu and Maui. We will at some point revisit Hawaii.

Edited by SPacificbound

Alaska, but we're going to do two-weeks land-based (self-drive). What Karysa said.

I'm planning Homer and Copper River instead of Seward to Denali.

On the other hand, I live 15 miles from the Pacific in a near-Mediterranean climate, so that might make Hawaii less of an attraction.

OK, so I'll play Devil's Advocate. You can go to Hawaii very nicely in other ways than cruising. You can only see the Inside Passage and the glaciers of Alaska by cruising. So I would choose Alaska.

Hawaii is better experienced as a "land vacation" though one should plan many water activities. Our favorite island is Kauai and 7-10 days is just about right.