Prediction for the future of the cruise industry...

kevingastreich

We have cruised on numerous cruise lines and in cabins from ocean view to suite.

We have always had great service and not once have we felt that the level of service, atmosphere, or staff attitude was based on the category of cabin that we happened to be occupying.

In fact, the very best example of customer service as it relates to problem resolution occurred on an NCL cruise whilst we were in a balcony cabin. We have always had very good service on HAL-similar to the service that we have enjoyed on Princess, Celebrity, Carnival, RCI, etc.

Edited by iancal

I asked DW today if, given the choice would she rather buy a Neptune suite on HAL, or similar on another line OR a standard ocean view on Oceania or Azamara.

Her response was firmly for the latter based on her perception of value for money spent.

As standards keep dropping across almost all cruise lines, in 20 years I predict that we will be given coupons. McDonalds, Burger King, etc. will be considered "fine dining". Once your coupons are gone, you will pay for everything, maybe even to use a bathroom in a public space. :mad:

By then, most off us remember what cruising used to be and how much it has changed will likely be 'long gone'. They are working their way to a complete revamp of the product and have made many steps in creating a very different experience.

The changes are not all for the worse, IMO ;)

I think they went just about as far as they can for mass market and now will start adding back extras in different forms that will be a la carte pricing.

We have found that the competence and service offered by room stewards and dining staff has nothing to do with what kind of cabin you are in but rather the training and the level of work the staff wishes to perform. Some take great pride in what they are doing and others perform at a level to just "get by"--like many jobs.

We have found that the competence and service offered by room stewards and dining staff has nothing to do with what kind of cabin you are in but rather the training and the level of work the staff wishes to perform. Some take great pride in what they are doing and others perform at a level to just "get by"--like many jobs.

I totally agree as far as it goes, but think that's only half the equation. I also think that how you treat your stewards enters into it.

If you smile and greet them first, before making a request, show a little interest in how their day is going, offer a little praise, thank them both verbally and with a smile, makes a difference, too.

I totally agree as far as it goes, but think that's only half the equation. I also think that how you treat your stewards enters into it.

If you smile and greet them first, before making a request, show a little interest in how their day is going, offer a little praise, thank them both verbally and with a smile, makes a difference, too.

Absolutely. I think you get back what you give out. Yes, there are some bad stewards, (though I haven't met one yet) but the majority enjoy their job and respond in kind.

JMHO, but everyone should work awhile in a service job directly interfacing with the public. That would improve a lot of people's attitudes.

Rocketman,

You are absolutely right on with your observation. I worked my way thru college waitressing; it was an eye opening experience and one that has stayed with me.

Roz

Ruth, totally agree with you and it should have been part of my comment. Having been an innkeeper for 17 years, I certainly can relate to how you respond to someone's kindness and interest toward you.

^^^ Absolutely !!!!

Just an aside to the "future of the cruise industry"

A item of trivia ----

Port Everglades set a new one day passenger record on December 20, 2015 ----

53,485 people ---

Nope, I don't know who did the counting:)