Latest you can board?

scher

I will be traveling by train from Venice to Rome to the port of Civitavecchia to get on the Relection. The Cruise says it departs at 5PM What is the latest I can board? and is this doable from Venice on the same day?

What do your docs say? Have you called X to 'verify' the latest time?

These are the first two (2) steps to take before asking here, what has possibly happened in the past is no guarantee of the future.

bon voyage...

You are going to have a very long day.

You must be onboard 90 minutes before departure. Don't forget too that the muster drill will also take place prior to sailing.

One thing to consider is the potential for a transportation worker's strike. We have been subject to work stoppages in Italy and France.

If I might make a recommendation....take a late train from Venice, overnight in Rome and use one of the recommended taxi services from your hotel to the port. It would certainly reduce the stress level. You can also take the train from Rome.

There should be others on your Roll Call that are arranging transportation from Rome and can share the ride.

Wow! We are back to the old question of is it possible. Absolutely if everything goes absolutely on schedule. Italian trains do not! Also all it takes is an accident, problem with the train control system or any of 50 other things and you will miss your ship. It is also a 20 minute walk to the shuttle station where you take a bus into the port or a 10-15 minute taxi ride if a truck does not block the access lanes or are on strike.

Alcpa is correct. Overnight in Rome or someplace MUCH closer! Your roll call will let you know what others are doing!

You are going to have a very long day.

You must be onboard 90 minutes before departure. Don't forget too that the muster drill will also take place prior to sailing.

One thing to consider is the potential for a transportation worker's strike. We have been subject to work stoppages in Italy and France.

If I might make a recommendation....take a late train from Venice, overnight in Rome and use one of the recommended taxi services from your hotel to the port. It would certainly reduce the stress level. You can also take the train from Rome.

There should be others on your Roll Call that are arranging transportation from Rome and can share the ride.

So I am not sure I understand...if the is a "Work Stoppage" wouldn't it be the same stoppage the day before as the same day? If no one is working wouldn't I be out of luck the day before also?

Wow! We are back to the old question of is it possible. Absolutely if everything goes absolutely on schedule. Italian trains do not! Also all it takes is an accident, problem with the train control system or any of 50 other things and you will miss your ship. It is also a 20 minute walk to the shuttle station where you take a bus into the port or a 10-15 minute taxi ride if a truck does not block the access lanes or are on strike.

Alcpa is correct. Overnight in Rome or someplace MUCH closer! Your roll call will let you know what others are doing!

sorry to bother you!! Let me know if you ever come to New York City and need information about the transit system there....I would make it sound like a bother to guide you. I understood the train system in Europe was amazing but I guess it is not.

sorry to bother you!! Let me know if you ever come to New York City and need information about the transit system there....I would make it sound like a bother to guide you. I understood the train system in Europe was amazing but I guess it is not.

It is amazing in many places. Strikes, however, are a known issue especially in Italy. We plan on taking the train over a night early.

So I am not sure I understand...if the is a "Work Stoppage" wouldn't it be the same stoppage the day before as the same day? If no one is working wouldn't I be out of luck the day before also?

No, the unions can strike for single days or even partial days. And ignoring that, train service, even the high speed trains, can suffer delays. I traveled from Rome - Florence on the Frecciargento and was 70 minutes delayed, and that's less than 1/2 the distance you need to travel.

And if you wake up in Rome to a strike the day-of travel, at least you know there are car hire options. That would be much more difficult (if even possible) from Venice.

Edit: I'm not sure the rules on recommending hotels unsolicited, so if you would like a good hotel near Roma Termini, just reply back.

Edited by Gig103

It is amazing in many places. Strikes, however, are a known issue especially in Italy. We plan on taking the train over a night early.

Strikes in Italy are not as common as many cruisers would seem to think. Also, they are rarely more than a half day or day in duration; certain trains are still guaranteed to run (including many of the longer distance ones), and there is a site where about 99% of the time they are posted well in advance. (And a number of these are often called off before the scheduled date because the strike issue is resolved.)

I've been to Italy many, many times over the past decade and have used the trains without a single problem on many of my trips -- both short and long distance. You just have to do the legwork.

Here is a statement (in English) directly from Trenitalia on how they operate during a strike: http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en/Purchase/Info-&-Contacts/In-case-of-strike

And here is the official list of all (not just train) upcoming strikes: http://scioperi.mit.gov.it/mit2/public/scioperi

Under "settore" (sector) you just have to look for "ferroviario" (train). Most apply to specific areas only but a few may be general.

At any rate, this is by way of saying that the chances of being impacted by a train strike on any given day are very rare, and ESPECIALLY if you have checked that there is no scheduled strike.

Bad travel karma. :D

If you check the site I listed for your travel dates, at least you will be prepared.

How did you find out about the strikes on your previous trips?

Once I found out ahead of time (I always check, I'm not a newbie) and another time we showed up at the station we had been to the day before and were unable to travel. Skipped our day trip. We'll get back someday.

We have also been delayed mid-train journey from Switzerland to France due to a work stoppage. We were on the tracks stopped for four hours.

We've always been fortunate in that I've planned buffers in our travel schedule. It's not always possible but a plan b really helps.