First (and Probably Last) Cruise with Celebrity - Impressions from the Summit 12/19

RobotsRock

Great answer to his complaints! Thank you.

I shake my head when I read these posts...really? First world problems.

You paid for this cruise...if you are unhappy, feel free to choose another cruise line. good luck with finding your perfect match.

Really? This is the sort of snide remark that simply sets my teeth on edge. This is a cruiseline critic board. THat means people will be posting both positive and negative comments, both great and tiny in scope. I could wax on in great detail how much I deplored the buffet on my last trip. However, I simply choose to avoid it as it is not a big deal to me. However, I will post that Celebrity has raised the minimums at the gaming tables, which prohibits many of us "trying it out." World problem? No of course not, but I would not expect anyone here to engage in a disussion as to how the third rule of thermodynamics could resolve world hunger in less than 15 years.

Please try to let us know when and where your next cruise is. Want to make sure we are not on the same cruise. We started "cruising" in 2003 on NCL, RCI, and Celebrity and have had a few "hiccups" on some of the cruises, but never went off on a rage. If you're unhappy with the results of your cruise, chalk it up to experience, and try another cruise line. You never can tell, you just might fine the cruise that meets your expectations.

I agree with everything you mention about the buffet. Normally we prefer breakfast in the buffet over the main dining room but on the Summit that wasn't the case. The whole idea of a buffet is to obtain food quickly and easily. Summit buffet is anything but quick and easy. You are forced to eat at prime times if you want any selection of food. The wait time was long even for early breakfast. If I have to stand in line for eggs I may as well eat in the MDR and be served. It was difficult enough for someone like myself who eats everything to find food during off peak hours. I can't imagine what it would be like for someone with dietary limitations. We are sailing on the Summit in May. This time I will be prepared. Over all I'm not impressed with the food on Celebrity but I do like the M class ships and the itineraries on the Summit.

Great answer to his complaints! Thank you.

I shake my head when I read these posts...really? First world problems.

You paid for this cruise...if you are unhappy, feel free to choose another cruise line. good luck with finding your perfect match.

I shake my head at posts like this. This is Cruise Critic. I appreciate the reviews of the good the bad and the ugly. It helps me in making my decision as well as knowing what to expect. Painting a rose colored picture doesn't help anyone. I really don't think someone needs to be told to choose another cruise line if they didn't like their experience. I'm quite confident that they can figure that out on their own.

Please try to let us know when and where your next cruise is. Want to make sure we are not on the same cruise.

It's comments like these that give us Long Islanders and New Yorkers a bad name. Contrary to belief the world doesn't revolve around us and everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Edited by Iamcruzin

Very well said. There is no perfect cruise line any more. I just got off of Princess and the towels were like sandpaper and the toiletries were not to my liking. I will be on the Summit in a few months and will see if the service has gone down since my last sailing.

At times, I ordered the veggie meal on various cruise lines and have been so disappointed I hope someday a cruise line adds a veggie chef and uses their dishes

Mollie Katzen would be great

The Fettuccini Alfredo on Princess is very good, IMO

We were on the same cruise, our second on celebrity and 13th overall. We were also in Concierge 8046 and had the best steward ever (Marta). She knew we did not eat any meat and had cheese and fruit for us every day, whether we filled out the form or not. Our waiters whether in the main dining room or Qsine were very attentive to our needs and willing to substitute ingredients for us. Our waiter Ben in Qsine adjusted all the dishes for us to be vegetarian. We did not even order off the ipad but just let him choose for us. We found the upgraded cabin extremely comfortable and roomy. We did find the fridge was not cold enough so Marta brought a giant ice bucket that we kept our water bottle in. I do agree that the Cafe was lacking not only just before dinner, but also late night. I was also disappointed that the smoothie bar and healthy alternatives by the pool were only open a couple of hours at a time. We seemed to be just missing in the afternoons. The entertainment was great but on other lines the late show was at 10:00 not 9, so we didn't have to rush through a later dinner. Overall we were very happy and relaxed on this cruise and LOVED CAPTAIN KATE!

At times, I ordered the veggie meal on various cruise lines and have been so disappointed I hope someday a cruise line adds a veggie chef and uses their dishes

Mollie Katzen would be great

I'm not a vegetrian, but the first cookbook I ever purchased was written by Mollie Katzen (The Moosewood Cookbook). Great idea, Gina!

We were on the same cruise, our second on celebrity and 13th overall. We were also in Concierge 8046 and had the best steward ever (Marta). She knew we did not eat any meat and had cheese and fruit for us every day, whether we filled out the form or not. Our waiters whether in the main dining room or Qsine were very attentive to our needs and willing to substitute ingredients for us. Our waiter Ben in Qsine adjusted all the dishes for us to be vegetarian. We did not even order off the ipad but just let him choose for us. We found the upgraded cabin extremely comfortable and roomy. We did find the fridge was not cold enough so Marta brought a giant ice bucket that we kept our water bottle in. I do agree that the Cafe was lacking not only just before dinner, but also late night. I was also disappointed that the smoothie bar and healthy alternatives by the pool were only open a couple of hours at a time. We seemed to be just missing in the afternoons. The entertainment was great but on other lines the late show was at 10:00 not 9, so we didn't have to rush through a later dinner. Overall we were very happy and relaxed on this cruise and LOVED CAPTAIN KATE!

The cafe was the biggest disappointment for me. Having to walk around the entire buffet to find something to eat because all the other stations are closed was annoying.

Qsine was an interesting experience. Our table got through 7 of the 8 courses we ordered + dessert. Probably my favorite dining experience ever on a cruise. Not sure if you went to the the Meet & Mingle (since about 10 people total showed up) but Captain Kate and all the officers were there and I got to talk to her for a good 5-10 minutes. Very interesting woman. As for the staterooms, mine was quite small, but one member in our party was in the Penthouse suite and I do have to say I had some envy. They invited us up every night before dinner for snacks. Their butler brought more food than a group of 20 people could eat every night, I also enjoyed how they had tons of soda and other beverages. I think it was the largest stateroom on board the ship. Can't imagine what they must of paid.

You might consider a trip on Reflection or Silhouette rather than Summit before ruling out the line. Please remember that they do have a few activities during the daytime, but that many of us are happy to veg by the pool on sea day, and don't attend the activities. You need to be sure to read the daily to find the activities.

We've often found room service to be a better option in the mid- afternoon than the buffet. We call to order to get what we like.

We also don't mind making a special request for dinner the next night if we don't care for what is on the menu.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Is Celebrity sure they want to target millennials?

I'm 28 and I recently sailed on Celebrity, and I can say I simply did not feel Celebrity is for Millennials, at least on Mediterranean itineraries. So probably I won't cruise again with them till I turn 40.

I really liked the 'modern luxury' concept, but the entertainment onboard was not as enjoyable as my experiences in Royal Caribbean. I was well aware of this before taking the cruise, so it wasn't a big disappointment for me, I was psychologically prepared.

Besides that, I still saying Celebrity it's an EXCELLENT line, and if you are looking for premium cruising, X it's the way to go.

We cruised on the Summit last January and again this January. I think if you provide your comments to Celebrity they will appreciate your feedback. On my post cruise survey last year I noted that a I was disappointed that the Spa smoothly and juice bar was never open at times that I wanted to get a smoothly which is a feature of the premium non-alcoholic package. The bar was not open before the morning excursions or after we returned around lunch time last year. I was really disappointed since that was a great perk I was expecting. This year I was very happy to find they had adjusted the hours so that I could get smoothies and even a great heathy breakfast from the Spa bar before my excursions and even open for lunch. This might seem like a small thing, but I was impressed that they made the change. Heathy smoothies and green juices are an important part of my diet.

Also just want to say I really appreciate all the info you put in your review. It is helpful to hear the good and the bad. The Summit has an Aqua class you should look into if you give them another chance. It is one step above the concierge level and I believe you would find the dining options more suited to your needs. You would have access to Blu dining room.

Last year we cruised the third week in January and never experienced a wait time in the MDR. We cruised the first week of January this year and the ship was completely sold out. There were some delays in getting our food this year. We think it was because of the fully booked ship. At first I thought our wait staff was overbooked but the decided it was really the kitchen just not able to keep up with so many orders. We were told during our ship galley tour that that each seating for dinner had about 2000 guests who ordered a total of about 3000 entrees.

For the person who had trouble getting to the show at 9 pm when in the second seating dining, you should go to the 7pm show next time if you are in the second dining. We were lucky to make it to the activities starting at 10:15 this trip and our ding time was 8:30. But we went to the big show at 7pm so never missed that. The 7pm and 9 pm shows are the same to accommodate both dining seating times. Not a problem last year. I really think delays are just a part of peak season trips. We booked our next family trip for January 30, 2017. We probably will not book so close to a major holiday in the future but even so we had a fantastic time and loved our cruise on the Summit. I am jealous of the B2B cruisers who are on the Summit this week!

Edited by Joyfulone3

I'm 28 and I recently sailed on Celebrity, and I can say I simply did not feel Celebrity is for Millennials, at least on Mediterranean itineraries. So probably I won't cruise again with them till I turn 40.

I really liked the 'modern luxury' concept, but the entertainment onboard was not as enjoyable as my experiences in Royal Caribbean. I was well aware of this before taking the cruise, so it wasn't a big disappointment for me, I was psychologically prepared.

Besides that, I still saying Celebrity it's an EXCELLENT line, and if you are looking for premium cruising, X it's the way to go.

I don't feel the entertainment is for Baby Boomers like myself either. I know Mom and Dad 83yrs old would enjoy it. The only thing modern is the decor and I never found the luxury. Itinerary and price make my decision everything else is just fluff.

• 2 weeks later...

While I can't address the vegan food issues specifically, I have to say that I am pretty surprised at your findings on the Summit. I will be sailing on Summit on January 30th for the 4th time -- have never had a single negative experience of any kind. While the Summit (and Celebrity in general) will never be known as a "party" cruise line, I always find the perfect blend of entertainment, decent food (generally NOT spectacular, but always decent in terms of choices and quality), phenomenal service, and plenty of space to relax -- and have also met new folks from all over the place on just about every cruise who have become lasting friends.

Perhaps you just had a very bad experience, but I would urge you not to write Celebrity off based on this one experience. I sailed on Royal Caribbean a few months back and will never stray from Celebrity again.

We have been sailing with Celebrity for many years and have had the best of experiences. When we started cruising in 2000, we looked for a cruise line known for great service and wonderful food. The specialty restaurants would be the icing on the cake for special occasions, which we did visit. Knowing it is not a luxury cruise line, we were perfectly happy with a top rated premium cruise line and our expectations were met. We have tried Princess a few times and were not disappointed, but preferred Celebrity. With excitement for our approaching 1/9/16 cruise, we read the posts on Cruise Critic and although noted some comments about the ways things have changed on Celebrity in the past few years, we have read such concerns in the past and have wrote them off as singe items that do not agree with all cruisers needs. No big deal. Let me just add, my wife and I are in our mid 60s and are very active and consider ourselves young at heart, although we do appreciate times when we prefer softer music, when we are having a coffee later in the evening when things are quieting down, etc.

Enough about us, let me provide our observations and although difficult to avoid some opinion regarding our recent cruise because we have always up to this point believed we were some of Celebrity's best 'cheerleaders'.

We purchased the '1-2-3 Go Promotion' (best value ever on Celebrity) in a Concierge stateroom. Boarding process was very efficient. We were convinced upon boarding to reserve the Normandy Restaurant for our first evening and Quizine for later in the week. We went to the buffet next and the food was about the same as past sailings on the Summit (we have always found one or more items to enjoy) and used our Classic drink package for the first time with no surprises as we previously have read. Next we went to our stateroom and met our staff. Our stateroom attendant and assistant were helpful and went about their duties all week as expected, nothing more or nothing less, but did sense a slightly reduced level of attention to his new guests. Maybe due to the quick changeover. No big deal. next went to the gym so my wife could sign up for Yoga classes throughout the week, but a bit disappointed with the minimal number of classes scheduled for the week. She always had classes that she could attend around port days and sea days. Oh well, she would have to do her Yoga alone. There seemed to be a bigger push or urgency than in the past to sell spa packages....

We attended muster at the set time and it lasted much longer than any of our previous cruises. Guest names were announced and I can only assume they did not show up (check the drunks in the bars and hot tubs) since for the first time staff checked off names at muster. I am a transportation security instructor and consultant and I have noticed over the years a reduced level of importance placed on these muster drills, but this time was the worst. The leader of a muster location should be professional and serious, not humorous. Guests do not listen to instructions when they are given in a form of a joke and with laughter. It decreases the level of urgency if an unfortunate event arises.

In the evening we went to the Normandy expecting to have a quiet romantic setting as always. We always marveled on how special the food and service was. We were surprised on how empty this grand restaurant was this time. During our dinner, it was hard not to notice and hear a foursome at a table across the room that was extremely loud and kept getting louder as our dinner went on. Toward the end of their meal, their language became more colorful and profane. Not one time did any of the staff in the restaurant make any attempt to ask them to settle down and they were loud enough for all to hear. This was a bit unsettling to us, but we continued our meal anyway. Should we have complained? Maybe, but we were just starting our cruise and brushed it off to too many drinks. So sorry to see the Normandy leave after drydock.

After dinner we walked around the ship a bit and heard for the first time a different type of music in the main atrium areas which became the norm all week. LOUD retro and rap music. We may be getting a bit older, BUT, this was a different Celebrity. Our question is why? I did not see a presence of younger folks hanging out enjoying this music, just several guests wandering around and observing shaking heads on persons passing through the areas. Why was the music being played so loud all week? During the entire week, guests were asking questions what is going on with these changes. One final point on this, why would Celebrity allow a DJ to play loud rap at the same time as the pianist playing his tunes drowning out each other? It was almost laughable, if not so sad and disappointing.

On our second night, we attended our late seating dinner in the MDR. there was only one other couple at a table for eight. They were so happy to have company on their second night and were a delight all week. On all our previous Princess and Celebrity cruises the wait staff have always shown interest in table guests and went all out to provide attention and detail resulting in a special experience at dinner. Wow, were we not disappointed........the waiter never introduced himself, I had to look at his name tag and with much indifference just asked what we wanted to order, OK, but nothing special, it took longer to decide since the menu had changed so much with less interesting choices. We asked if we could have a few more minutes and we received a less that gracious response. After 10 minutes, the waiter still did not return, until we had to ask the ass't waiter to get the waiter. When a staff person came by and asked if we wanted a glass af wine, we did not want one and he immediately walked away before I could order a scotch. One night I ordered a steak and simply asked the waiter if when ordering medium, does it tend to come out more than medium or less than medium. He responded stating "sir, if you order medium, it will come out medium". Not the manner or response I was expecting. On the second Chic night, as we have always done in the past, we ordered two lobsters each. The waiter said he would place the order for one each and if you then wanted another he would place the second order. I could have argued, but fight your battles at other time. The lobster was so overcooked and along with the waiter never bothering to ask how our dinner was and not asking if we wanted another lobster, we just finished dessert and left. Where did our anticipated and regular Celebrity premium service go? Final point. In past cruises, the waiter and ass't always were conversing, which probably contributed to a special experience for their guests and we always laughed and had fun with them and others guests at the table. Often we had so much fun at dinner that we were some of the last to leave the dining room. We did not observe any interaction between the waiter and the ass't. waiter on any of the five nights we were there. There may have been a behind the scenes problem we were unaware of, but never display your personal unhappiness and take it out on your guests.

I could go on with many other minor items that have changed to the dark side over the past few years, but the two main areas that helped us originally decide to sail Celebrity, premium service and food, have gone away and in my opinion, Celebrity is well on its way to losing its luster and status as a premium cruise line. I hope this is not the case, because we want to continue cruising and on Celebrity, but we are now two soured past cruisers. Don't get us wrong, we still had a terrific vacation and cruise and would never let any of our comments above ruin our time....

The one bright note observed, was the senior staff being so visible on board all week. While waiting in one of the atrium lounges before dinner, ship's Cap't Alex P. unexpectedly approached us and introduced himself and another officer. They talked to us for at least ten minutes. It was a pleasant surprise we had never experienced. Thanks for allowing us to share our observations and opinions.......

We can not answer the question why

I refrained from commenting on this post when it initially went up because we were within 4 weeks of a cruise on the same vessel and I wanted to compare experiences.

Now that we have just returned I can only indicate that I find it interesting how so many people can have such a wide disparity in cruise experiences.

My review will be forthcoming but, as a preview, I will note that we took no less than a dozen pictures over the course of 6 days next to Garlic Bread, often with a pocket watch. We even saw it run dangerously low on one occasion and the replacement time clocked in at :07 seconds.

Edited by David Kane

I decided to post a response because I am drained by all the negativity that is taking over these forums. I'll start by saying that I have cruised with Carnival, Norwegian, Princess and Celebrity. I also reside in Los Angeles and frequent various upscale restaurants. I find Celebrity to be far superior to any other line I have sailed. I have cruised on both M and S class ships and have enjoyed all of my experiences. I will be the first to admit, my partner and I are travel snobs. We like delicious foods and luxurious accommodations. Celebrity is not perfect, I've had a couple of not so stellar entrees, but overall they are pretty darn good. I can always find chairs around the pool. I can relax and enjoy DJ music or live (I think they do a good job appealing to various musical tastes). The rooms are spacious and decorated nicely (we like to relax on the veranda with room service and wine). We get a drink package and enjoy a cocktail or three during the evening. We make it a point to ENJOY the ship and the cruise. If you like to relax by the pool, can groove to different types of music, enjoy a drink, have a little fun in the casino, enjoy interesting cuisine, meet cool people, and see exotic locations Celebrity is probably the line for you. If you need the rowdiness of Carnival or the antiquated cruising of yesteryear to have a good time, by all means leave Celebrity for its fans (like me) to enjoy!

I'm so surprised the MDR staff on the Summit was unwilling to adapt menu items for you. My daughter was served plain pasta with butter and parmesan, or pasta with marinara, in lieu of various pasta entrees, on request. (Marinara sauce is on the kids menu. They also have mac & cheese and grilled cheese sandwiches, although I know that isn't the kind of fine dining one would prefer on a cruise.) I'll add--she's not a child. But the staff was eager to accommodate her preferences.

I decided to post a response because I am drained by all the negativity that is taking over these forums. I'll start by saying that I have cruised with Carnival, Norwegian, Princess and Celebrity. I also reside in Los Angeles and frequent various upscale restaurants. I find Celebrity to be far superior to any other line I have sailed. I have cruised on both M and S class ships and have enjoyed all of my experiences. I will be the first to admit, my partner and I are travel snobs. We like delicious foods and luxurious accommodations. Celebrity is not perfect, I've had a couple of not so stellar entrees, but overall they are pretty darn good. I can always find chairs around the pool. I can relax and enjoy DJ music or live (I think they do a good job appealing to various musical tastes). The rooms are spacious and decorated nicely (we like to relax on the veranda with room service and wine). We get a drink package and enjoy a cocktail or three during the evening. We make it a point to ENJOY the ship and the cruise. If you like to relax by the pool, can groove to different types of music, enjoy a drink, have a little fun in the casino, enjoy interesting cuisine, meet cool people, and see exotic locations Celebrity is probably the line for you. If you need the rowdiness of Carnival or the antiquated cruising of yesteryear to have a good time, by all means leave Celebrity for its fans (like me) to enjoy!

Couldn't agree with you more on all counts. My partner and I are sailing this Saturday on Summit and cannot wait.

Hope you can give Celebrity another try during the summer. Many families, different nationalities, great food and service. Believe it or not even our teenage children prefer to cruise the Med on Celebrity.

To the OP; I had good friends on your cruise and they were also disappointed with the food. Maybe there was something off during this sailing. Our friends have cruised with Celebrity many times and will go back. I also think that with your dietary restrictions Aqua Class might be better for you. My daughter tries to stay away from meat and chicken but always finds something to eat. We just came back from a cruise in RCCL and really missed Celebrity's Premium Non alcoholic package. If you are happy with Carnival and NCL stay with them. From those we have only tried NCL on a suite and the suite experience was great, but the food was awful. The only way we cruise with NCL is on a suite and going to specialty restaurants every night. But still, not expecting to go back with them any time soon. We are really happy with Celebrity and RCCL.

Happy cruising, and thanks for sharing your experience.

Perhaps you just had a very bad experience, but I would urge you not to write Celebrity off based on this one experience. I sailed on Royal Caribbean a few months back and will never stray from Celebrity again.

Huh... OP is urged not to write off Celebrity based on one experience, so I'm curious why RC is apparently only getting one experience.

I would assume the holiday cruises are at full capacity, and wonder if that might have something to do with the service problems OP experienced. It's a shame to be disappointed when we all look forward to our vacations so much.