Elevator death on the Ecstasy

ComradeRyan

Came across this article and video this morning. Apparently an electrician on the ship died. A passenger took video of blood running down the elevator door. Not a lot of details have been released.

What a terrible tragedy for the crew member and his family. I'm not sure I agree with how the guy taking the video handled it though... My first reaction wouldn't be to take cell phone video.

http://www.fox4now.com/news/swfl-couple-shows-video-of-bloody-mystery-on-carnival-cruise-ship

We were on the Ecstasy the sailing before this, and as we were getting off Christmas morning, many of the elevators were acting strange. They were signaling the wrong floor, you would be getting out on 9, but it would say 7th....

I feel horrible for the family of the electrician. What a horrible tragedy.

What kind of a sick person video tapes something like this and then takes it to the media and what kind of a media outlet would run such a thing?

Makes me weep for humanity that we have such sick attention seeking people that would seek their 5 minutes of fame in such fashion.

What kind of a sick person video tapes something like this and then takes it to the media and what kind of a media outlet would run such a thing?

Makes me weep for humanity that we have such sick attention seeking people that would seek their 5 minutes of fame in such fashion.

If you listen to the video, you can hear a crew member asking them to leave the area and he ignores her. Then he tells the media how traumatizing it was for him and his family. What about the victim and his family?

If you listen to the video, you can hear a crew member asking them to leave the area and he ignores her. Then he tells the media how traumatizing it was for him and his family. What about the victim and his family?

Agreed, thoughts and prayers to the victim and his family!

I didn't watch the video or look at the pictures, just read the article.

Totally agree and I said so in one of the chat rooms... This needs to be removed.. How horrible... why would anyone post it .. :(

Totally agree and I said so in one of the chat rooms... This needs to be removed.. How horrible... why would anyone post it .. :(

I agree.

The video even states (not sure why the heck I even watched it) that "45 minutes later it was blocked off", and he's got video of that too. I'm sorry - during something like that, unless you can truly help (doctor, etc), he should have definitely left the area.

If it bleeds, it leads.

While I think posting the video is hideous, I don't think the topic should be hushed up.

Sure, we don't want our vacation spoiled knowing that someone aboard the ship, crew or passenger, died or was seriously injured in an accident or health issue. But it does happen, probably more common than we are aware.

Heart attacks, strokes, jet ski accidents, traffic accidents, drownings, suicides etc. all occur during both land and sea vacations. I've watched passengers try to film a helicoptor landing on a ship for a medical emergency evack,, almost causing the pilot to crash. The Captain was furious about that.

On my last cruise, 2 passengers were killed when their tour bus crashed in Tortola. The next day there was an ambulance taking another passenger to the hospital. Sure, it's an uncomfortable subject, and I think the crew here tried to do the right thing by cordoning off the area. The posting of the video is just plain wrong, but discussion of these events should not be censored. JMO, YMMV.

Edited by evandbob

Ugh, how awful :( They are traumatized and now Carnival is paying for Counseling? How about not standing and recording the whole thing. :confused::mad:

My teenage children were in another elevator in this area headed up to deck 10. Their elevator stopped on 9 to let other passengers off. When the door opened, they were staring directly at the bloody elevator door. I believe, from their description, they were there slightly before this person captured his video.

I know that they have been replaying the episode in their heads, and have had dreams about what they saw that evening. Carnival is aware that they were present at the scene and has made no offer to provide them any assistance in coping with this tragic situation.

If it bleeds, it leads.

So true unfortunately. People have a morbid curiosity. I'll be honest, I watched it. But there is no way I could have stood there in person and made the video. I probably would have passed out. I turned it off as soon as it started. So horrible. Most definitely said a prayer for this person's family and his fellow crew members. They must be devastated.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

My teenage children were in another elevator in this area headed up to deck 10. Their elevator stopped on 9 to let other passengers off. When the door opened, they were staring directly at the bloody elevator door. I believe, from their description, they were there slightly before this person captured his video.

I know that they have been replaying the episode in their heads, and have had dreams about what they saw that evening. Carnival is aware that they were present at the scene and has made no offer to provide them any assistance in coping with this tragic situation.

By your estimation, exactly how much money would help them cope?

By your estimation, exactly how much money would help them cope?

She said assistance. Not money. And certainly if Carnival is willing to pay for counseling for the man that willingly stood there and taped it, they can at least offer the same to 2 kids who were unfortunate enough to stumble upon a scene like that.

...Carnival is aware that they were present at the scene and has made no offer to provide them any assistance in coping with this tragic situation.

What exactly would you like Carnival to do? (I hope you don't mean money or free cruise.) Nothing will make their memories go away from what they saw.

Yes, it's sad but as others have mentioned- horrible accidents happen everyday around the world. If you're in the wrong place at the wrong time you might witness tragic events unfold.

Edited by cruiseguy83

She said assistance. Not money. And certainly if Carnival is willing to pay for counseling for the man that willingly stood there and taped it, they can at least offer the same to 2 kids who were unfortunate enough to stumble upon a scene like that.

Correct. Never said anything about money. I don't want to take advantage of a tragedy like this. I just know that my children have been affected by what they saw and may need some help in processing/coping with what happened.

Well, Carnival has offered to pay for 3 sessions to help with their traumatization. They took the video so they could be on camera and interviewed. This is the era of cell phones and recording traumatic scenes. What bothers me the most is the media telling people it's bloody and don't look but one can't help but look.:rolleyes:

...What bothers me the most is the media telling people it's bloody and don't look but one can't help but look.:rolleyes:

Very true but sadly it's all about website views/clicks and tv ratings.

If they didn't have video I bet people wouldn't believe their story of "blood poring out of an elevator", or even cover it on the news.

What exactly would you like Carnival to do? (I hope you don't mean money or free cruise.) Nothing will make their memories go away from what they saw.

Yes, it's sad but as others have mentioned- horrible accidents happen everyday around the world. If you're in the wrong place at the wrong time you might witness tragic events unfold.

There are developing therapies that deal with tragic memories, trauma and PTSD, so help can be found for these issues.

Correct. Never said anything about money. I don't want to take advantage of a tragedy like this. I just know that my children have been affected by what they saw and may need some help in processing/coping with what happened.

That's your responsibility as a parent to help them, not Carnival's responsibility.

Carnival's responsibility is to the victim's family, not to you.

When my parents were driving down to Florida with me when I was about 12, I witnessed a horrible accident on I-95. Car with a family inside flipped over, went into a ditch and burst into flames. There was no saving that family. I have never forgotten that. 40+ years later I still remember it vividly.

Oddly enough, while it remains a horrible and sad memory, I have managed to lead a productive life without therapy.