Tuxedo Rental Question

JohnHall1965

We are going on a 14 day b2b and for my Formal wear , I am considering using Princess's Formal wear rental , I was thinking of one of they're combo rentals with two Jackets and three shirts (10 day has 2 Formal nights and I assume the 4 day has 1) I was curious if anyone has used this service and can tell me the quality of the fit (I plan to go to a local tux rental store to get an accurate measurement) and the quality of the suit it's self . Are they sharp or are they kinda cheesy looking ? Thanks

Edited by JohnHall1965

We are going on a 14 day b2b and for my Formal wear , I am considering using Princess's Formal wear rental , I was thinking of one of they're combo rentals with two Jackets and three shirts (10 day has 2 Formal nights and I assume the 4 day has 1) I was curious if anyone has used this service and can tell me the quality of the fit (I plan to go to a local tux rental store to get an accurate measurement) and the quality of the suit it's self . Are they sharp or are they kinda cheesy looking ? Thanks

I have done this a few times. I felt the quality is excellent. Never even considered them to be cheesy. I get the measurements from a formal shop rental place as well. I love it. Its so convenient to have it right there in the cabin ready for use and to leave it at the end of the cruise. :)

It was back in 2011 but I did the deluxe black tuxedo with CK vest package and it was more than satisfactory for the two formal nights of a 10 day cruise. Don't pick a package with more than you need for the formal nights assuming you will use some items after the second one--you must have your tux packed up for your steward the next morning after the last formal night.

ETA: and don't be surprised if your steward requests to remove it after your first leg, unless you document the reservation is for both cruises. Despite what a random rep told you over the phone, a four-night cruise may have a "dress to impress" night but will not have an designated formal night.

The trousers and vest both adjustable should your measurements prove less than 100% accurate; you will be fine just using numbers from any jacket, trousers and shirt that fit you comfortably rather than having to get yourself measured.

Edited by fishywood

Just got off the phone with Princess about a separate matter ,I asked them and they said there was a formal night .

....And what does your cruise personalizer say? That is the authority, not a CSR on the phone who may or may not be looking at the correct information. On our 9 day B2B out of FLL last January which was a 5 day and a 4 day, only the 5 day had a formal night as previous posters had stated. If you look on the Itinerary Tab you will see something like this from my upcoming cruise:

Your itinerary includes 2 formal nights and 8 smart casual nights. Port order and/or content may vary, please check specific sailing date for details. Port arrival and departure times are approximate and subject to change without notice. For more information, please review the Passage Contract.
Edited by Dudleydog73

Just got off the phone with Princess about a separate matter ,I asked them and they said there was a formal night .

Nope. No formal night. They might have an "elegant" night or something like that which translates to "dress nicely so we can take your picture." :D No reason why you couldn't wear a tux on that occasion (or every night for that matter.) The ship rentals I've seen look pretty good, not cheesy.

I have rented a tuxedo for multiple cruises. I love the fact that it was hanging in the closet when I walked into the cabin. Very convenient.

However, I did have a disappointment the last time I did it. On the first formal night I pulled on the trousers and adjusted the waist--just like I've done for every rented tuxedo I've ever used. Unfortunately, the clasps that hold the adjustment in a fixed position were completely worn and did not do the job at all. Fortunately, the suspenders (may have been braces, I don't really remember) held my trousers up, and the cumberbund, pretty much, hid the ill-fit of the trousers. The only time it bothered me was when I was walking. Standing was OK, and sitting was fine. We did get posed pictures that evening, and, again, the ill-fitting trousers are not detectable. I'm pretty sure it would have bothered me if I had tried to dance, but that issue did not arise.

In subsequent cruises I have just brought my own suit, or, if we did not want to pack extra clothes, we just dined in our cabin on formal nights.

I have rented a tux for my Princess cruises and on other lines. The quality is good and it fit well. I love the idea that I don't have to pack for formal nights. The past 2 cruises I also rented my shoes. All waiting in my cabin when I arrive and picked up the day after the last formal night.

The rental ones onboard look pretty good, a bit better than the one I bought from Penneys ($130). Bought mine because my suits were worn out. If used for several cruises purchase is cost effective.

Edited by LeeW
spelling

If you have a problem with rentals Tux's thrn contact your room steward for a solution. This only works with the rental company recommended by Princess. They have extras on board and can supply replacement items.

If you have a problem with rentals Tux's thrn contact your room steward for a solution. This only works with the rental company recommended by Princess. They have extras on board and can supply replacement items.

Good to know. Thanks.

I've rented tuxes before on HAL and Celebrity, and I imagine Princess functions the same way. The quality was comparable to a good tux store rental--not outstanding, but not cheesy.

I personally brought my own shoes the last time, rather than renting. I'm sure the rental ones are sanitized, but I just felt better wearing my own. With all the walking on a ship it is important to me that the shoes fit well.

...They might have an "elegant" night or something like that which translates to "dress nicely so we can take your picture."...

They called it "Dress to Impress" night on the Ruby last fall :rolleyes:. Yes, the Princess paparazzi was standing by to take pics.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78
spelling