question re beverage packages

zula

Hello,

The house select beverage package gets you wine, beer at lunch and dinner, if I understand it right from the list you find in the bars, terrace café (the wine by the glass).

But for the Prestige Select beverage package is there a difference concerning the choice of wines?

Regards,

Sonja

Hello,

The house select beverage package gets you wine, beer at lunch and dinner, if I understand it right from the list you find in the bars, terrace café (the wine by the glass).

But for the Prestige Select beverage package is there a difference concerning the choice of wines?

Regards,

Sonja

No I do not think so.

I haven't taken this perk but I understand that the Prestige Package is STILL wine by the glass. I don't know if they are the same wines as the less expensive package but I wouldn't be surprised if they are.

Mura

Hello,

Regards,

Sonja

The wine List is the same for both the House and the Prestige Packages.

The downside to the House Package is only being served in a restaurant during meals or in your cabin while room service is in progress.

The Prestige Package is akin to open bar at any time that there is any bar open on the ship, and that includes the service bars, so it's pretty near 24/7.

Full disclosure: Some single malts, and most high end Cognacs' are also off the table, plus you can't get a drink on disembarkation day unless you've brought it aboard, personally!

Good luck, folks!

Edited by StanandJim

What Stan and Jim said, except one can still get a mimosa or a glass of champagne in the GDR on disembarkment day with breakfast. I believe in the Terrace also, but can't remember. Don't know about a bloody mary since I've never asked! :D

Since we have never been on Oceania, could someone help me figure if the Prestige package is worth buying for a 10 night (7 ports/2 sea days) cruise?

It's either the Prestige, or no package and we will buy by the drink. I have not seen a drink price list to compare.

The following is what DH says he will drink daily, including embarkation day. Following that, will be what I MIGHT drink.

DH

3 Beers - pre dinner

2 glasses of wine with dinner

Bailey's after dinner

1 Fun drink (On sea days or if staying on the ship during port days - 2 to3 days.)

Me

2 Spirit drinks - pre dinner

1 to 2 glasses of wine with dinner

1 Fun drink (On sea days or if staying on the ship during port days - 2 to3 days.)

Is hot chocolate included in the everyday free beverages? Are the water and soft drinks bottled? Does Oceania carry Vitamin Water Zero?

Edited by Iamthesea

Since we have never been on Oceania, could someone help me figure if the Prestige package is worth buying for a 10 night (7 ports/2 sea days) cruise?

Check the Bar menus on the Preismans blog for prices

http://www.thepreismans.com/riviera_mayan_menus.htm

Is hot chocolate included in the everyday free beverages? Are the water and soft drinks bottled? Does Oceania carry Vitamin Water Zero?

Yes you can get Hot chocolate ..just ask

water is bottled

sodas are in a can or fountain drinks at the bars

they do have vitamin water in gym & sports drinks ..not sure if it is Zero or not

Edited by LHT28

I would say as someone who is NOT interested in the package -- but given the amounts that you assume you will consume -- the package would be worth it to you. Bear in mind that you might NOT consume as much on port days. That's a calculation you need to make. (I'm assuming you'll be on shore for much of the port days which would limit you time in consuming drinks.)

Clearly, on sea days you likely will consume more.

Bear in mind that depending on the itinerary you might consider purchasing the package a day or two or three into the cruise.

I'm talking from the perspective of not spending money unnecessarily. If you don't care about that, then by all means get the package -- you won't have to worry.

Mura

With the exception of the fun drink, the other drinks, pre-dinner, we will have during cocktail hour.

Dh wants to purchase the package pre-cruise so that it will be printed on the card instead of having to have a sticker placed on the card. ;)

LHT28 - Thank you for the information. I'll check out the Preisman's, but as I recall, the drink pricing has changed since they posted that. At least I can get an idea. And I assume that 18% needs to be added to those published prices?

We were on Regatta in August & purchased the drink package after we boarded & already had our cards. It was just a matter of going to reception & having our cards replaced with new ones that indicated we had the package. No stickers involved! Will be boarding in Barcelona this fall & will purchase the package before leaving home to avoid the extra tax!

Hello,

Regards,

Sonja

$60/person/day includes 18% tip. So, 4 drinks of better wine or spirits at a about $15 each ( including tip) is "break even." Good news is that you can get double shots in the cocktails (essential given the pour size) and you come out way ahead on value. Bad news is that wine by the glass only has a few very decent choices. Shramsburg Mirabelle sparkling wing, Donna Fugatta blended white and Simi Cabernet are best bets.

A lot of CC posters will mention the freebies, "cocktail of the day" or twofers offered from time to time. Note that the ingredients are usually confined to "well" brands, which IMO are wasted calories.

Is that with the new O choice you can swap one of the benifits like shore ex or others and get the premium select package for only $20 perday far more attractive than $60 a day On a 21 day cruise to Tahiti with 10 sea days, and knowing the obscene price liquor in the south pacific...thatsa deal( a beer can cost $15!!!)

Our booking was not included in the new O Choice. We received free gratuities from Oceania (Category B3) and a 5% OBC from our travel agent. No Internet, no excursions. :( We booked our own Air, so that brought the price of the cruise down $300 pp.

We were on Regatta in August & purchased the drink package after we boarded & already had our cards. It was just a matter of going to reception & having our cards replaced with new ones that indicated we had the package. No stickers involved! Will be boarding in Barcelona this fall & will purchase the package before leaving home to avoid the extra tax!

Good to know. Will tell DH. My vote was to wait and book onboard in the beginning.

$60/person/day includes 18% tip. So, 4 drinks of better wine or spirits at a about $15 each ( including tip) is "break even." Good news is that you can get double shots in the cocktails (essential given the pour size) and you come out way ahead on value. Bad news is that wine by the glass only has a few very decent choices. Shramsburg Mirabelle sparkling wing, Donna Fugatta blended white and Simi Cabernet are best bets.

A lot of CC posters will mention the freebies, "cocktail of the day" or twofers offered from time to time. Note that the ingredients are usually confined to "well" brands, which IMO are wasted calories.

I don't drink heavily, so a single shot is fine with me. Maybe it would interest the OP. DH would like the double shot Bailey's, but when he gets that on Celebrity, the glass is usually pretty full, anyway. :) Then I have to sit and wait for him to drink it.:rolleyes: I can't drink coffee.

Additionally, I am not up on what's a "well" or shelf brand and a high end brand. Besides a fun drink with Rum, I drink G&T's, Margarita's, or Mojito's, mostly. With dinner, I will drink a Pinot Grigio or similar. Cannot drink reds anymore because of migraines. Used to love a good Merlot. I do enjoy a sparkling wine or champagne type drink - Mimosa. ;)

When you mention "freebies", are you saying that the "cocktail of the day" is free to passengers?

Edited by Iamthesea

LHT28 - Thank you for the information. I'll check out the Preisman's, but as I recall, the drink pricing has changed since they posted that. At least I can get an idea. And I assume that 18% needs to be added to those published prices?

Yes the 18% will be added to menu prices it is already included in the Beverage package so factor that into your comparisons

I know of no daily freebies I must have missed that ;)

The Captain's party they will have free drinks for a few hours that evening

& the past guest party also

The wine by the glass works for me as well as long as I like the taste I am not worried if it is $10 or $100 a bottle onshore:D

since I am not an experienced drinker what is a "well" brand :confused:

Edited by LHT28

since I am not an experienced drinker what is a "well" brand :confused:

The "well" brand is the house brand, i.e. what they pour if you don't specify a brand name.

What FF is trying to convey is that if the drink of the day is a Martini, a "Kettle One" Martini would be excluded. Same with happy hour, which is why they never work for me on O.

Thank Heavens for that Beverage Package!

Edited by StanandJim

The "well" brand is the house brand, i.e. what they pour if you don't specify a brand name.

Thanks that is what I was thinking

most of the house brands look ok to me but then I am not a drinker ;)

Took a look at the Preisman's site and Bar prices. Why are some drinks in bold type? Does that mean that those are the only ones covered under the drink package?

One other thing. If you have the package, do you still get a recipe to sign? Seems I read that someplace.

Edited by Iamthesea

Took a look at the Preisman's site and Bar prices. Why are some drinks in bold type? Does that mean that those are the only ones covered under the drink package?

Everything except a few single malt scotches, and some expensive champagnes and cognacs are included in the Prestige Package. It really is VERY VERY close to run of the house.

The Bold print has to do with what they thought were going to be the most popular cocktails. They were apparently trying to emphasize that they are included.

Passengers are required to sign one receipt per visit to a venue for inventory control purposes.

Edited by StanandJim

Got it...thank you! :)

I added up and DH would break even if he had everything on his daily list. I would come under on the package. That's if I had more than one glass of Pinot. If I had sparkling wine every evening, I would break even.

I guess it boils down to convenience and no worries, but DH despises having to sign those slips. Do they show a place for extra gratuity on them?

Edited by Iamthesea

Everything except a few single malt scotches, and some expensive champagnes and cognacs are included in the Prestige Package. It really is VERY VERY close to run of the house.

The Bold print has to do with what they thought were going to be the most popular cocktails. They were apparently trying to emphasize that they are included.

Passengers are required to sign one receipt per visit to a venue for inventory control purposes.

Hi guys miss seeing you on our cruises.

We always take the prestige package, we learned that by spending hours with you in Martinis

I guess it boils down to convenience and no worries, but DH despises having to sign those slips. Do they show a place for extra gratuity on them?

You should go on an all inclusive line like Regent then he will not have to sign any chits ;)

Yes there is an extra line but you are not required to add more to the tips unless you want to

I wouldn't worry about which Rum they use in a Pina Colada, but in a Martini, it makes a difference.

DH prefers Bombay gin so he asks for it when getting his G & T

otherwise he drinks single malts ;)

I am a cheap drunk & one foo foo drink or a glass of what ever wine will do me fine :D

OOPS! Just went over this (and my math)[with DH. He reminded me that I did not add the taxes and 18% gratuity to my figuring ,if we were to forgo the package. :o

We are getting the packages!

QUOTE=LHT28;48709318]You should go on an all inclusive line like Regent then he will not have to sign any chits

Yes there is an extra line but you are not required to add more to the tips unless you want to

Funny thing is that we thought when we booked our cruise that it was All Inclusive. :rolleyes:

For the last couple of years, we have been booking with Celebrity Cruises (4-5 cruises) that have included the Beverage Package. Have not had to sign a chit for anything in quite awhile. ;)

DH prefers Bombay gin so he asks for it when getting his G & T

otherwise he drinks single malts ;)

I am a cheap drunk & one foo foo drink or a glass of what ever wine will do me fine :D

I am with you, only I fall asleep. :(

Edited by Iamthesea