question re beverage packages

zula

For the last couple of years, we have been booking with Celebrity Cruises (4-5 cruises) that have included the Beverage Package. Have not had to sign a chit for anything in quite awhile

We just gave our niece a Celebrity Cruise when she graduated from Law School.

If you can stand the vulgar bargaining that goes with those Celebrity Beverage Packages, such as, "a six ounce" Martini is included, but an 8 ounce requires a surcharge", Oceania's set up will seem like a dream of class. Everything but the highest end Scotch, Cognac and Champagne is included.....period.

Our niece needed an abacus to figure out the most cost effective way of ordering every cocktail on Celebrity! She said it was just exhausting -enough to make one throw caution to the winds and order a ten ounce!"

We were mortified :mad:

Edited by StanandJim

We never had any problems with our free Classic drink packages, but we don't drink Martini's. My daughters, on the other hand, had no trouble getting whatever they wanted at the Martini Bar and at the Wine bar with their Classic. ;))

You have read what we drink, so can easily see that we would not run into any problems with our drink package. LOL

Once, when sailing with my daughters, I was given an upgrade to the Premium package. I rarely ordered anything that was not on the Classic package. I did try a nasty Dirty Martini, though.

Edited by Iamthesea

I once made the mistake of celebrity... and found their drink package a"chicken" operation, like Jim and Stan said.

You cant order a drink over 10 or 12 dollars,, youcant order a double, you cant order 2 drinks at a time, you have to finish one before re ordering...liquor types were not any where near a good selection......and with thousands on board bar service was slow and tedious.

Compared to the O package... which you can order a double ..heck even a triple...from a huge selection. and much higher quality Fast service .

What really makes the O package so attractive is you can swap or choose options that will bring it down to $20 a day for the Prem vs the $60 a day

At $20 a day thats less than 2 drinks a day!!! Id gladly trade internet for a booze option as I dont anticipate the President, Pope or any world leaders requiring my advice....nor am I involved in any mid east peace deals

Edited by Hawaiidan

The wine List is the same for both the House and the Prestige Packages.

The downside to the House Package is only being served in a restaurant during meals or in your cabin while room service is in progress.

The Prestige Package is akin to open bar at any time that there is any bar open on the ship, and that includes the service bars, so it's pretty near 24/7.

Full disclosure: Some single malts, and most high end Cognacs' are also off the table, plus you can't get a drink on disembarkation day unless you've brought it aboard, personally!

Good luck, folks!

Stan and Jim,

We are wine drinkers only and enjoy a glass or two with lunch and dinner-some wine in the late afternoon while enjoying the view from our balcony... noticed you indicated that with the House package includes wine during "room service". We are sailing in a PH1 on Regatta soon and so would like clarification on the "room service" service...does this mean we can order glasses of wine delivered to our room along with afternoon "snacks"? What are the limitations to using the "house" package with room service?

We received the "prestige" package on our last cruise as part of a "sell down" and enjoyed the afternoon wine and snacks delivery to our room so would be very happy if we could do this on the "House" package.

Thanks in advance

I once made the mistake of celebrity... and found their drink package a"chicken" operation, like Jim and Stan said.

You cant order a drink over 10 or 12 dollars,, youcant order a double, you cant order 2 drinks at a time, you have to finish one before re ordering...liquor types were not any where near a good selection......and with thousands on board bar service was slow and tedious.

Compared to the O package... which you can order a double ..heck even a triple...from a huge selection. and much higher quality Fast service .

What really makes the O package so attractive is you can swap or choose options that will bring it down to $20 a day for the Prem vs the $60 a day

At $20 a day thats less than 2 drinks a day!!! Id gladly trade internet for a booze option as I dont anticipate the President, Pope or any world leaders requiring my advice....nor am I involved in any mid east peace deals

Just enjoyed two margaritas at the pool bar on Marina. Asked for El Tessoro Reposado, which they do not have. However, they do have El Tessoro Anejo at $16/shot. No problem with the Prestige package. So, ordered two doubles. Just do the math: if saving a few buck is important, taking the prestige package is a "no brainer".

As I said in an earlier post, our booking did not include anything to "swap". No free Internet. We do receive gratuities and OBC that comes from the TA. NADA from Oceania. Is there something/someone we could call to ask about other incentives?

Again, the Celebrity package has been just fine for our needs (and it's FREE!), but I may branch out and try something daring like the Lemon Drop with the Oceania package. :D

Edited by Iamthesea

As I said in an earlier post, our booking did not include anything to "swap". No free Internet. We do receive gratuities and OBC that comes from the TA. NADA from Oceania. Is there something/someone we could call to ask about other incentives?

Again, the Celebrity package has been just fine for our needs (and it's FREE!), but I may branch out and try something daring like the Lemon Drop with the Oceania package. :D

drinking bar stock its harder to make the premium pay bit as Flatbush said treating yourself to really top drawer liquors you can make it pay with 2 doubles....

I think you will be amazed at how much more value Oceania will be giving you compared to celebrity So if you liked that , your gonna love the Oceania offering

Use your agents credit because it is spend it or loose it. Whatever the amount it will be that much less.

I understand your concern but think that might be a a product of your experiences on the mass market ( get every nickel and dime business model) cruise lines.

Your entering a whole new world.. It is one reason so many have shifted their business.

I would not worry about what others do if the package works for you get it

some people here think they have just discovered sliced bread :rolleyes:

enjoy the cruise

The OBC is already spent on about 1.5 massages that DH is getting. :rolleyes:

I'll be sure to report back on if "O" is a go with us! :) DH already has his eye on a 31 night Asian cruise in 2017 in place of two back to back (Aus/NZ/Sing/HK) that we currently have booked with Celebrity. Price comparison and amenities favors Celebrity. Plus, the Oceania cruise doesn't do Aus/NZ on the particular cruise he is eyeing.

Anyway, getting off subject. Thanks again to all that helped us with the package decision and for all the tips. ;)

Use your agents credit because it is spend it or loose it. Whatever the amount it will be that much less.

Actually the above is completely wrong. If the OBC comes completely from anyone except the cruiseline, it is fully refundable. If the OBC in part or in whole comes from the cruiseline, then it is non-refundable.

Don't want newbies ot be confused. This is pretty much the same on any cruiseline.

We were recently on the Riviera from Barcelona to Miami (aka the Cruise from Hell!). We had the Premium Beverage Package and felt that we received our monies worth on beverages. You can order a drink and request doubles and triples, no problem. When I discovered the champagne, oh well, what not to like. Wines were fine, we are not snobs. We felt that at the end of the voyage, we probably owed them money. You are never asked to sign a receipt. Your card is marked appropriately. It seems that the Brits got a deal on their reservations.

When we would order a wine in the dining venues, more than likely they would appear with an unopened bottle of wine and proceed to serve us during our meal. The wines were quite adequate.

A good deal.

You are never asked to sign a receipt. Your card is marked appropriately.

Seems to be some discrepancy on whether a receipt needs to be signed - at any time/any venue - or not. :confused:

When we would order a wine in the dining venues, more than likely they would appear with an unopened bottle of wine and proceed to serve us during our meal. The wines were quite adequate.

This is what they do on Celebrity. We probably have more than 2-3 glasses of wine by the time dinner is over and never realize it. :D

Thank for that reminder. ;)

Hi. we have been on 3 oceania cruises now and have gotten the premium package each time. everything at the bar is included except the 120.00 a shot liquor. the remy martin OS is 25 a pop and is included. I generally get doubles of everything I order, it saves time. as for wine, I ask the sommelier what the wine rating is and all they ever say is that they are all over 90. I found the dow port very good. that is 20 for a little glass so I get doubles of that also, its great with the deserts. I don't think they make too much money on me. the 10 day cruises are 600. our next is 17 days and will be 960. I don't think I will do much drinking this time.

I get the premium package and have never had to sign for anything. everything on any bar is your for the asking except the 1 bottle that is 125. a shot. the remy martin OS is 25 a shot, so I get a double. just for the heck of it once I asked the bar guy that I knew from a previous cruise if I could trade 5 shots of remy martin OS for 1 of the 125. buck a shot, but he said no. darn.

Hi. we have been on 3 oceania cruises now and have gotten the premium package each time. everything at the bar is included except the 120.00 a shot liquor. the remy martin OS is 25 a pop and is included. I generally get doubles of everything I order, it saves time. as for wine, I ask the sommelier what the wine rating is and all they ever say is that they are all over 90. I found the dow port very good. that is 20 for a little glass so I get doubles of that also, its great with the deserts. I don't think they make too much money on me. the 10 day cruises are 600. our next is 17 days and will be 960. I don't think I will do much drinking this time.

With a very few exceptions, O's wine servers can hardly be considered the equivalent of sommeliers. Their oenological knowledge is pretty limited (primarily focused on what the sell by the glass). As for "ratings of at least 90" for everything on the "by the glass" wine menu, it must be the "best of mediocre wines" ratings. Not that the wines are bad - rather they're mostly under $20 retail store items for which there are far better choices on the market at the same price point. IMO, the best wine on the current list is the Mirabelle sparkling wine.

Nonetheless, we're big fans of the prestige package for the overall value.

Someone mentioned smaller glasses when using the package. Then others say to order a "double" and get a taller glass. ..saves time! When ordering a double, I assume this means just a double shot of the liquor? Or can I ask for a double drink like G&T (including doubling the tonic? I cannot drink double shots.) so that the glass will be taller? Or could I ask for a Gin w/lime and bring a bottle of tonic on the side?

Someone mentioned smaller glasses when using the package. Then others say to order a "double" and get a taller glass. ..saves time! When ordering a double, I assume this means just a double shot of the liquor? Or can I ask for a double drink like G&T (including doubling the tonic? I cannot drink double shots.) so that the glass will be taller? Or could I ask for a Gin w/lime and bring a bottle of tonic on the side?

all of the above, with the Prestige Package, the World is your oyster....so different from the vulgar manipulations of the Celebrity system.

HI. that is what is so great about ociania. like the poster above said. what ever you want when ever you want where ever you want it at they will do. one and a half guest for every worker. although I suppose that includes people you never see below deck. I told my wife we need to do one of those 3000 person ships just to see how good we have had it on ociania.

The wine List is the same for both the House and the Prestige Packages.

The downside to the House Package is only being served in a restaurant during meals or in your cabin while room service is in progress.

The Prestige Package is akin to open bar at any time that there is any bar open on the ship, and that includes the service bars, so it's pretty near 24/7.

Full disclosure: Some single malts, and most high end Cognacs' are also off the table, plus you can't get a drink on disembarkation day unless you've brought it aboard, personally!

Good luck, folks!

I, too, am trying to decide if I should sign up for the Prestige package. I enjoy higher end spirits. Let me get this right - I can get a cocktail in my A1 cabin anytime. Can I get a drink and return to my cabin to the veranda? Just trying to decide. Thanks for the input. Laura;)

I, too, am trying to decide if I should sign up for the Prestige package. I enjoy higher end spirits. Let me get this right - I can get a cocktail in my A1 cabin anytime. Can I get a drink and return to my cabin to the veranda? Just trying to decide. Thanks for the input. Laura;)

Yes you can take drinks back to the cabin

I have never tried ordering a drink to the cabin but I suppose it is possible

Some people take a bottle of their favourite spirits onboard for use in their cabin

Edited by LHT28

Yes you can take drinks back to the cabin

I have never tried ordering a drink to the cabin but I suppose it is possible

Some people take a bottle of their favourite spirits onboard for use in their cabin

It is possible to carry a drink back to the cabin, but most Oceania Bartenders will suggest, almost insist really, that you allow them to send it to the cabin, so that it may be properly served and presented.

64a2217ebfd675711a12da80da30de03.jpg

You'll find it, or them, perfectly chilled and sitting on a salver.

Priceless ;)