Riedel wine glasses in Vines

Maddle

Does anyone know - which version of the Riedel wine glasses are they using in Vines?

We just got off the Crown, and enjoyed both Red and White wines. My husband suggested we purchase some of the stemware for home. Alas, it seems there are a number of shapes and sizes and materials for red wine and for white on the website. Vines seems to have been using one shape for Red and one shape for White. That's what I would like to have for home.

Generally, "You pour it, I'll drink it," but those glasses were very nice.

Thanks.

Maddle

One should always use a different shape of glass for reds and whites!

Yes, they had one shape for red, and a different shape for white. As far as I could tell, they served all the reds in that one shape, and all the whites in that other shape (not the champagne though.) I don't think they had something different for, say cabernet and pinot noir.

I don't usually care for pinot noir so maybe there was another shape in Vines for that, but I didn't notice them serving it.

Maddie, I am a wine buff and, while I admire the elegance of an attractive stem, I laugh a bit at the fixation that many of my fellow wine geeks have for using very specific glasses.

That being said, several years ago wife bought some Riedel "Degustazione" stems--eight "White Wine" and four "Red Wine"--at Trader Joe's. These are quite elegant stems and would be very attractive on your dining table. Doing some quick internet searching it looks to me that the "Degustazione" line is specifically aimed at restaurants. So, I would not be surprised if that, or something similar, is the stem that you used at Vines. I don't know how hard it would be for you to procure some, but, again, by Googliing "Riedel Degustazione" I found that somebody is selling a box of twelve of the "White Wine" stems on E-Bay for $65.

Many department and discount stores sell Riedels--Macy's and Target to name two. You could just drive to one of those and see if you like the ones they have.

For what it's worth, last week I was in Costco (guys love Costco), and I bought an eight-pack of Schott-Zwiesel stems for $14.97--less than $2.00 per stem. These are not quite as elegant as the Riedels, but--here is the selliing point--they are dishwasher friendly. They are now my everyday red wine stems.:)

I'm a Riedel enthusiast. I've also bought into the varietal-specific trend, mostly because I like having a lot of wine glasses and it seems less weird to have a dozen of each varietal than six dozen of the same glass.

I am pretty sure that Vines is using the "Restaurant" Chardonnay/Viognier glass for whites and the Cab/Merlot for reds. You can get a pretty comparable bowl on the Vinum line (stemmed) or the O line (stemless). One advantage to the Vinum line is shorter stems to better fit in the dishwasher (Riedel recommends dishwashing over hand washing - less risk of breakage - sinks are hard).

Sams Club currently has a pack of 4 stemless Chard/Viognier and 4 Vinum stemmed can/merlot for $49 on the website. TJ Maxx/HomeGoods/Marshalls/Winners stores often have good prices but rarely have those shapes. The line sold at Target is nice for Target but not as thin and elegant as Vinum. TotalWine and BevMo have consistent prices and always have the shapes.

Yes, they had one shape for red, and a different shape for white. As far as I could tell, they served all the reds in that one shape, and all the whites in that other shape (not the champagne though.) I don't think they had something different for, say cabernet and pinot noir.

I don't usually care for pinot noir so maybe there was another shape in Vines for that, but I didn't notice them serving it.

Maddle the different glass shapes for the appropriate wine are a breath of fresh air from the one shape fits all found in the MDR.

I'm not a wine doctor, nor do I play one on TV, but I do know that you need the right glass for white, sparkling and red to begin to serve wine-the bottle and the funnel straight down your throat are only if you want to impress your peers with how fast you can get drunk and senseless-they'll find out later when they see your technicolor yawn all over the bathroom.

White and sparkling wine need to be served chilled to make it feel crisp and taste fruity-40 to 50 deg F. Best drunk holding by the stem so your 98deg hand doesn't warm it. Stemless wineglasses are popular as they are easy to store and can go in a dishwasher which are not good reasons for me to buy them ever.

Red wine ideal temp range is from 50 to 60 deg, with 65 recommended for heavy dark reds. The fat round bowl of a red wine glass is there for you to cup it in your palm with all your fingers resting on the glass where the stem meets the bowl. The warmth of your hand is welcomed by the wine and it starts to sing.Or you do-I forget which.

The tall skinny flutes for champagne served cold like white help keep the bubbles alive by offering less exposure to the air above. Best held by the stem. Don't swish.

Riedel glasses are very light and thin and that's what you need.You want to taste wine not the glass. A nice big 10 to 18 oz bowl (Riedel has some 24 oz ones!) allows you to swish your wine around to get some air in it and release it's aroma and prepare you for deliciousness! Your nose plays an equal role with your taste buds when you eat and drink (see article in Dec 2015 National Geographic)

A crystal wine glass such as Riedel will chime if you flick it with your fingernail and will resonate for a few seconds.

I hope some of this is helpful.

Norris, whose favorite wine is Guinness.

Only one line of Riedel is actually made of leaded crystal. The rest are just well-made thin glass. The "non-lead crystal" moniker is salesmanship at best.

Thanks Vibeguy-what's the name of that line?

Norris

I'm with XBGuy and Vibe...

I have several different Reidel glasses from the Vinum collection. It's not their highest end, but was the second best (not sure if anything has changed but you can research on their website).

I can attest that the glasses make a difference.

For every day use, I did buy a generic set of 8 white and 8 red Reidel, plus 2 Pinot Noir (I'm not sure if Princess carries the Pinot Noir glass). By this I mean the set that is just the bowls with flat bottoms and no stems. That way, I have the bowl shape and less chance of tipping, breakage, etc.

I often use my Vinum stemware at a dinner and other guests have another type of red or white wine glass. Very few people we host are that much into wine that it matters. I do have an extra Chardonnay and Bordeaux in the Vinum line. But I also have Riesling, Icewine, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Noir, Syrah, Zinfandel ... that might be it.

lol

They could be just the thing for those who like a generous pour, they hold 16 Oz. I'm not sure how well they will "show the legs" but they should do nicely to hold in the aroma. Besides, you won't need a separate set for whites and reds. They are universal and work equally well for all types of wine.

They could be just the thing for those who like a generous pour, they hold 16 Oz. I'm not sure how well they will "show the legs" but they should do nicely to hold in the aroma. Besides, you won't need a separate set for whites and reds. They are universal and work equally well for all types of wine.

"I'll drink to that!"

Thanks Vibeguy-what's the name of that line?

Actually, I misspoke. I thought only Sommelier was lead crystal, but Veritas is as well. The new Superleggero line is also lead, but I haven't seen it at retail yet.

Another line that is really good, but long-stemmed, is the Nachtmann Vivendi. Their Pinot Noir glass is especially good.

Actually, I misspoke. I thought only Sommelier was lead crystal, but Veritas is as well. The new Superleggero line is also lead, but I haven't seen it at retail yet.

Another line that is really good, but long-stemmed, is the Nachtmann Vivendi. Their Pinot Noir glass is especially good.

Long stemmed is fine by me. Thanks for the clarification!

Norris

The problem with the longest-stemmed glasses is getting them secured in a home dishwasher - Riedel markets special racks for commercial dishwashers that support the glass properly, but home dishwashers aren't good at fixing wineglassss in the lower rack and many of their shapes are substantially taller than will wash in the upper rack of even Bosch/Miele.

I am totally convinced though, that the Vines glasses are absolutely not from any of the handmade lines. They're machine-blown bowls on machine-formed stems and they're not Vitus nor Vinum XL.

The problem with the longest-stemmed glasses is getting them secured in a home dishwasher - Riedel markets special racks for commercial dishwashers that support the glass properly, but home dishwashers aren't good at fixing wineglassss in the lower rack and many of their shapes are substantially taller than will wash in the upper rack of even Bosch/Miele.

I am totally convinced though, that the Vines glasses are absolutely not from any of the handmade lines. They're machine-blown bowls on machine-formed stems and they're not Vitus nor Vinum XL.

My wife found these on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Quirky-Tether-Stemware-Saver-Dishwasher/dp/B005Z49FKW

They work fine with the Riedel Degustazione and the quite long-stemmed Schott-Zwiesel stems, that I mentioned previously, in our Kitchenaid dishwasher. I see there are some other similar products.

My wife found these on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Quirky-Tether-Stemware-Saver-Dishwasher/dp/B005Z49FKW

They work fine with the Riedel Degustazione and the quite long-stemmed Schott-Zwiesel stems, that I mentioned previously, in our Kitchenaid dishwasher. I see there are some other similar products.

Interesting item - I might get a set from Amazon. I have a larger unit that holds two wine glasses upside down and then a lid clamps the bases in place and the unit itself sits somewhere on the lower rack. It does take up some extra space and only holds two at a time. I tend to wash the stemware by hand when quantities are used.

I also have a soft white brush (more like a spongy swab) that can clean out the insides. I try not to use much soap at all cleaning the wine glasses. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000CFQMI/ref=pd_luc_rh_mrairec_04_04_t_ttl_lh?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by steelers36