Hotels in Rome

vetpoo007

A little reading on the board will find MANY threads on hotels, like these:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2272655&highlight=rome+hotels

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2238281&highlight=rome+hotels

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2230241&highlight=rome+hotels

As to transportation, a little reading would find many recommendations. Train ( if you can lug your bags), private transport like the wonderful Rome in Limo (with a HUGE thread just down the board), and taxi (most expensive) are commonly discussed.

I stayed at hotel santa maria in the travastere area. Loved it!! Walked everywhere although extremely tired after a full day. Sorry not sure how much a taxi would cost to port. I know the taxi ripped us off from the train station though, so ask for a receipt and know ur prices before hand.

We rented an apartment through Maison Giulia. It's located near Campo de Fiori and within a short walk to St Peter's/Vatican City, the Pantheon, Piazza Navona and the Trevi Fountain. It took us 30 minutes to walk to the Colosseum.

There are a few different ways to get to the port. We booked a shared shuttle with Civitavecchia Cab Service (I don't recommend them). Next time we would opt for a private car or try to share a private car with others on our roll call.

Rome is a huge sprawling city so location is really a personal preference issue. Consider a good location that offers good accessibility to the Metro or is perhaps close to many of the places you want to visit. As to getting to the port there are hundreds of threads on this forum about the topic. You can get there via some type of vehicle (taxi, shuttle, private transfer) or by using the train.

Hank

As advised by others "close to everything" is hard to define. What are the sights that are most important to you? We spent hours pouring over maps. Some of the well-known booking websites will provide maps and allow you to narrow your search to specific areas or neighborhoods. We determined we wanted to stay in the area of the Pantheon and Plaza Navonna. Even with that focus, there were many, many choices. Once we narrowed it down further we searched reviews of the properties of interest on Trip Advisor, Hotels.com, etc. We ended up booking an apartment with a balcony overlooking Plaza Navona, for pennies more than a good hotel.

We have not booked our transfer yet, but Rome Cabs or Roma Shuttle have been recommended.

Rome is a huge sprawling city so location is really a personal preference issue. Consider a good location that offers good accessibility to the Metro or is perhaps close to many of the places you want to visit. As to getting to the port there are hundreds of threads on this forum about the topic. You can get there via some type of vehicle (taxi, shuttle, private transfer) or by using the train.

Hank

Hank,

You always have great advice and helpful information.

My husband and I will be on the Silhouette in October, 2016. We have been on 4 Mediterranean cruises but have had not the opportunity to extend our stay. I am considering staying 2 nights in Rome after our cruise.

I do not have a high comfort level about traveling around and to Rome on our own. Apprehension is my biggest problem.

I am considering staying 2 nights at the Hilton Rome airport and taking their shuttle into Rome. I am taking a shared shuttle to the airport after departing the ship.

Do you or anyone else have any comments - positive or negative regarding my plan?

Thanks

Gail

Hank,

You always have great advice and helpful information.

My husband and I will be on the Silhouette in October, 2016. We have been on 4 Mediterranean cruises but have had not the opportunity to extend our stay. I am considering staying 2 nights in Rome after our cruise.

I do not have a high comfort level about traveling around and to Rome on our own. Apprehension is my biggest problem.

I am considering staying 2 nights at the Hilton Rome airport and taking their shuttle into Rome. I am taking a shared shuttle to the airport after departing the ship.

Do you or anyone else have any comments - positive or negative regarding my plan?

Thanks

Gail

It seems a real shame to spend two nights at the airport Hilton. Sure, I know their shuttles run into the evening but I'd venture to guess most people head back to their hotel around early evening and don't go back into Rome for dinner. This is a real shame as the Centro Storico is wonderful in the evenings and you miss half the magic of being in Rome if you do not take the opportunity to enjoy it after dark.

If you stay somewhere very central -- such as the area near Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon or Piazza Navona, you can walk just about anywhere within 15-20 minutes (the Vatican being the exception) and you won't have to worry about local transportation, if that is stressing you out. Even a taxi ride to the Vatican would only be about 10-15 euro from this area.

Maybe if you can share more about your apprehensions it would be easier to advise you. But I can barely bring myself to stay at the Airport Hilton for one night upon dire necessity. Please reconsider your plans!

In total agreement with Cruisemom. We have no solution to the OP's apprehension issue (other then pills or alcohol) but personally we be a lot more apprehensive just making the long trek back and forth from the airport Hilton into Rome. We do like the airport Hilton for the night before and early flight, but otherwise have no use for the place. It is often overpriced and eating a meal in that hotel is not my idea of a value or decent meal.

Personally we would recommend at least 3 nights post cruise. Book a private transfer from the port to your hotel (easy to do online) and enjoy two nice days and nights in Rome. Then the night before your flight you might want to consider moving out to the Airport Hilton so you have an easy transfer over to the airport (you can actually walk) in the morning.

Hank

Thanks so much for the responses. I will rethink this. My cruise ends on Saturday. I can probably get 2 air tickets on miles if I fly back Monday or Tuesday and I have these days off of work. I thought I would take advantage of this. We had a day in Rome previously and saw the major sites

I may have to arrive a day early and stay near the port.

Gail

We have Artemide Hotel booked for our next cruise out of Rome. It is within walking distance of a lot of the sites. They were running a nice special directly through the hotel with a wonderful complimentary breakfast...excellent reviews on tripadvisor.

They will also help with transfers from the airport and to the cruise terminal. I've had excellent e-mail responses from the manager.

Thanks so much for the responses. I will rethink this. My cruise ends on Saturday. I can probably get 2 air tickets on miles if I fly back Monday or Tuesday and I have these days off of work. I thought I would take advantage of this. We had a day in Rome previously and saw the major sites

I may have to arrive a day early and stay near the port.

Gail

On our recent semi disastrous Mediterranean adventure, I had to make very last-minute arrangements for a hotel in Civitavecchia. We stayed at the Sun Bay Park hotel, which is a kilometer or so out of town but was very comfortable and had a beautiful view and was extremely reasonably priced. We shared a van with some other travelers the next morning to the ship. Also, the night before we were due to arrive, I booked online with Civitavecchia shuttle services and that turned out to be an outstanding decision. Even though our flight was early to arrive, the very nice gentleman met us just outside baggage claim at the airport and carried our luggage to his nice Mercedes sedan and drove us directly to the hotel. I believe it was about €70 which is very cheap versus a cab. My DH had just suffered a heart attack on the island of Rhodes and it was an extremely stressful time for us and these people made it very easy. Highly recommended.

Edited by CathyCruises