Dining options

Cuizer2

Thank you. If I take 15 minutes, where would I put it?

In the jar by the door. They'll need it when they give 15 minutes. If you take it with you, you'll be late for your excursions the next day. Even worse, if you take 15 minutes four times, you'll miss happy hour.

I think HAL uses the term Main in place of Late in order to encourage more people to book it, even if by mistake (happened to us once). HAL's Early dining is very popular with this age group and fills up quickly when booking.

I think HAL uses the term Main in place of Late in order to encourage more people to book it, even if by mistake (happened to us once). HAL's Early dining is very popular with this age group and fills up quickly when booking.

It's been "main" as long as I can remember, reflecting the "dinner at 8" meme of bygone days.

Some cruise reviews I've read suggest that open dining comes with less than stellar service and prolonged dining times. Is this true?

I've done both traditional and open many times. There are delays during both. If you have a table for 2 it will be much quicker than a larger table in both traditional or open.

In the jar by the door. They'll need it when they give 15 minutes. If you take it with you, you'll be late for your excursions the next day. Even worse, if you take 15 minutes four times, you'll miss happy hour.

I cannot miss happy hour, unthinkable.

Just curious; how long a mealtime would you consider good service? We are used to slow service and within reason,prefer it. In a restaurant, with friends, typically at least two hours for dinner.

We are used to long meals because very few Australian restaurants have more than one sitting. when you book a table you book it for the night - not just a sitting. I particularly noticed in the US that you are rushed through your meal in order to turn the tables over for the next person.

As an agent the "anytime" dining is very popular especially since many cruisers eat at the many specialty dining or a la carte venues however it works much better with smaller parties. If you have a large group of like 8 or more your wait time may not be worth the "freedom" to dine at your leisure and expect to have a family style dinner.

Edited by rlindydiane

So true, I book 560 days out & had to settle for upper early. (lower early was already fully booked.)

Just curious; how long a mealtime would you consider good service? We are used to slow service and within reason,prefer it. In a restaurant, with friends, typically at least two hours for dinner.

Karennella and Stratheden,

We always book main dining and request a table for six. We've been very fortunate in sitting with wonderful people and we all seem to enjoy each other's company. Usually it is about 1 hour and 45 minutes for dinner (so people can go to the shows). There have been times when it has been 10 o'clock before we leave. I think you could request that dinner be slowed down if you feel you are being rushed. These days, however, since the servers have more tables to take care of, too fast service is not a problem. We also don't want to over stay and hold up the servers from clearing tables away as they still have many duties to complete before "retiring" for the night.

As an agent the "anytime" dining is very popular especially since many cruisers eat at the many specialty dining or a la carte venues however it works much better with smaller parties. If you have a large group of like 8 or more your wait time may not be worth the "freedom" to dine at your leisure and expect to have a family style dinner.

I'm having a hard time believing that. On most cruises I look at the only option open is open dining, especially if it close to sailing. If it is indeed so popular why would it still be available to the last minute? I pick open dining as my choice so it's fine with me.