Tipping in other than $USD

DebsUK

My DH and I will soon be on the Solstice. Our gratuities are pre-paid, being included as one of the incentives when we booked. We usually tip extra though for good service. Being from Canada we don't much felt like changing our dollars to $USD given the terrible exchange rate. Just wondered if others have tipped in local currency before? We will be sailing an Australia itinerary so will have $AUD.....thoughts?

My DH and I will soon be on the Solstice. Our gratuities are pre-paid, being included as one of the incentives when we booked. We usually tip extra though for good service. Being from Canada we don't much felt like changing our dollars to $USD given the terrible exchange rate. Just wondered if others have tipped in local currency before? We will be sailing an Australia itinerary so will have $AUD.....thoughts?

We always tip in the "home" port currency or the currency predominant on the itinerary- if out of the U.K. to Europe/Med we would tip in UK £ or € .... for your itinerary $Aud should be fine, also the staff you're tipping can spend back at the home port without further currency changes

When traveling we generally carry USD regardless of where we are going, and generally use USD for any additional gratuities. However, we have used euro's and GBP without any reservations. Currency can be converted by employees on board the ship without issue. Also, some may prefer local currency to use if they have the opportunity to get some time off the ship.

Cruise ships owned by USA cruise line companies do every thing aboard their ships in US dollar denominations . That being said, If you only have AUS dollars then by all means tip in AUS for services you feel are beyond the norm ;)

If you are sailing in and out of Australia, feel free to tip in $AUS.

If you are sailing right before the Solstice does her trans-Pacific to North America, I would even feel free to tip in $CAD since she will be calling in Canada each week once she arrives.

Most of the crew sends most of their wages home, from what we understand. As long as you are tipping in cash above the auto-grats, they will take whatever you give them. The ship can always convert it to something else.

The staff onboard are paid in USD, so for every one CAD you give them you will be giving them 70 cents USD.

I would strongly suggest either tipping in USD or AUD, Canadian dollar is at par with the Australian dollar so you wouldn't be paying any extra to keep your favourite staff happy :)

The staff onboard are paid in USD, so for every one CAD you give them you will be giving them 70 cents USD.

I would strongly suggest either tipping in USD or AUD, Canadian dollar is at par with the Australian dollar so you wouldn't be paying any extra to keep your favourite staff happy :)

Yes, but, if you are tipping above the auto -grat, any tip is a good tip if it is a unit of currency in use somewhere the ship goes.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

We talked to our cabin steward the day before we reached Malaga as first port after a TA. He told us that he has some hours off. We asked him whether he does have Euros and he said he will get some at an ATM. He was more than happy to get Euros from us.

So tipping in a currency which is used along the ships route is never a problem. The crew is also able to change onboard (or amongst each others).

steamboats