wedding rings

MISSSNOOPYGIRL

Scuba diving at popular swimming spots is educational, I've recovered enough jewelry lost by others to teach me to leave mine behind.

I have never left it at home before, but I might this time. It is a

$200 ring (original cost) that might fetch $45 at today's spot gold price,

but I love it and would be devastated to lose it. My husband the fireman has never had a wedding ring and has seen too many people almost lose fingers

to want a ring, so that is no big deal to me. He gets eyed a lot while we are on vacations and such since he is a cute guy and has no tan line. It freaks him out and I like to watch him squirm or hear about it later.

When you all cruise, do you bring your wedding rings? Also, do you bring them when you visit islands? I ask this because I recently read a crime article about heavier crime islands such as Puerto Rico and they said only bring as much cash as you need and only what you are prepared to lose (so no expensive jewelry)

My wife has a ring that is worth $29.95 that she wears when we travel and leaves her So if you have a place to buy a ring like that I say do it

My SIL was vacationing in Myrtle Beach and wore her five-figure diamond ring and placed it in her beach bag before going swimming. It was gone when she returned. :( I think as long as you're smart about the situation (and if you chose not to wear it leave it in the safe!), you'll be okay to wear your ring...provided we couldn't substitute it for the ice skating rink on board! ;)

Safe travels, Sam

Are we discussing wedding rings or engagement rings. BTW, my original avatar was a Westie, cute dog.

1452565909689.jpg.ec2dbad6e079758bb8f76aa6550486cd.jpg

My DW wears hers on the ship, but has a low cost substitute she wears when we go ashore.

For us, the loss wouldn't be as much about the monetary value as it would the sentimental value .

I do this too, for the same reasons!

I rarely ever wear mine. My job at a computer is easier without it, and I do not wear it to work out. I wear it for going "out out", same with my watch. I generally do not travel with it (my watch I travel with; it is not a very expensive piece)

My grandfather told me there was 3 rings of marriage.

The engagement ring, the wedding ring, and the suffering. :D

Are we discussing wedding rings or engagement rings. BTW, my original avatar was a Westie, cute dog.

Yes, that's what I was wondering, or perhaps eternity rings as well. I have seen a fashion now though for diamond set wedding bands as well so maybe people have those.

I always wear my wedding ring (plain gold band) and engagement ring on board but take off engagement ring and leave it in the safe when on shore excursions or at the pool. Waiting to have a diamond replaced in my eternity ring (I lost one when the claw broke) so won't be taking it. These are not the set of rings I was married with though as I lost my original engagement ring when I put it somewhere safe on the way to hospital for birth of first son :o. DH bought me a full replacement set of rings as a surprise gift 25 years ago when I finished a rather long set of medical treatments.

I take mine on a cruise but as my hands tend to swell I only wear it then on formal nights or when I want a picture taken. I learned a hard lesson last year as I got quite lax and did not put it in the safe and it vanished from my cabin. I only realised this when I got home as I don't fly with it on either and saw other gold items in the carrycase and assumed my SO had packed it.

We did call RC but did not have any luck. I am more aware now.

Edited by welshrich

All of the good (valuable) jewelry stays home when traveling, including cruising.

I have an inexpensive band, necklace, and bracelet I bought at James Avery, and they are what I wear when traveling.

I don't have a wedding ring, but agree with SPacificbound. For any holiday, not just cruising, my expensive or sentimental jewelry stays at home, and I only bring costume or cheaper pieces. My jewelry doesn't need to travel around the world with me only to sit in a safe :) Plus, if it spends most of its time in the safe, I'm more likely to forget it when disembarking!

This has been an interesting read. I was just thinking what to take on our cruise coming up. While we ladies like to "sparkle" on formal nights, I think I'll leave my good jewelry in the bank safety deposit box. In an empty house for any length of time isn't really safe imho. I like Absolute from HSN. Next to my real diamonds, you would have to be an expert to tell the difference. However, I would not wear THEM in port either. Getting mugged for a fake ring would not be a great experience. If you lose it onboard, not much of a loss as most under $100. Have to add that my neighbor lady, on a land vacation, put her wedding rings in her suitcase that was strapped to the car roof. Going over a bridge, the roof strap let loose and her suitcase took a trip off the bridge. No more rings.

This has been an interesting read. I was just thinking what to take on our cruise coming up. While we ladies like to "sparkle" on formal nights, I think I'll leave my good jewelry in the bank safety deposit box. In an empty house for any length of time isn't really safe imho. I like Absolute from HSN. Next to my real diamonds, you would have to be an expert to tell the difference. However, I would not wear THEM in port either. Getting mugged for a fake ring would not be a great experience. If you lose it onboard, not much of a loss as most under $100. Have to add that my neighbor lady, on a land vacation, put her wedding rings in her suitcase that was strapped to the car roof. Going over a bridge, the roof strap let loose and her suitcase took a trip off the bridge. No more rings.

I understand the need to be careful and get the don't wear nice stuff in Port, but why have nice bling if you don't wear it on holiday? Truthfully, that's the occasion that Laura wears most of her expensive pieces. I hope your not saving it to look good in your casket. :eek:

I am not saving the bling for the casket. I am saving it for grandchildren and nieces. Some rings were fashioned for me personally by husband and our jeweler. They are not replaceable. I wore them for decades and now they are being preserved for future generations. I have gone through the sinking feeling of taking off a good ring, putting it somewhere "safe" and then forgetting where I put it. Found it eventually, but found the more I took things off and on, the more chance I had of losing it. Just my opinion.

For those saying Puerto Rico is a safe place please stop giving people a false sense of security. It is a very dangerous place and to say it's no more dangerous than any other US city is also FALSE. San Juan averages 26.2 murders per 100,000 while in the US mainland the average is 4.7 per 100,000. To me it's a stay on the ship kinda day!!!!

Edited by skyking

For those saying Puerto Rico is a safe place please stop giving people a false sense of security. It is a very dangerous place and to say it's no more dangerous than any other US city is also FALSE. San Juan averages 26.2 murders per 100,000 while in the US mainland the average is 4.7 per 100,000. To me it's a stay on the ship kinda day!!!!

That 4.7 is for the whole of a very large continent with swathes of small communities. Comparing cities with cities, depending on where you live in the US, San Juan is much safer.

2014 figures per 100,000

St Louis - 49.93

Detroit - 43.5

New Orleans - 39.61

Baltimore - 33.92

Newark - 33.3

Neither my husband or I could wear our wedding rings to work when we first got married (he works for the railway and I'm a nurse), so we really never got in the habit of wearing them. Yet somehow we managed to stay together for 22 years. I have a simple silver band that I wear when I do remember to put it on. If I lost it I wouldn't be heartbroken about, but it's not worth anything either. So I guess the question for you is how would I feel if it was gone, and if the answer is heart broken leave it in the safe.

My wedding ring has not left my finger in the 41 years we have been married. It is a thin white gold band, probably worth less than $50, but to me it is priceless. My engagement ring stays in the safe deposit box with a few other pieces of jewelry. Back when we got married we were poor college students scraping by, big flashy rings were not an option. But that thin ring embodies all the love and experiences of the last 41 years.

My wife and I take our rings off all the time. We never wear them when showering or working out. When we go to the islands we keep the bands on but leave the engagement ring on board in the safe.

I'll buy that, just not sure why someone would remove the wedding band. Mine cost like $100 for the pair 30 years ago. Not even sure if it would easily come off

Since we got married and I got pregnant and swelled up, I was barely able to wear my engagement and wedding rings together for a month. Then I gained and lost and gained and lost and gained again, and it felt odd to be ringfree and 42 weeks pregnant when DH had his ring on, so I ended up getting some fake cocktail rings to wear.

It's hard to place sentimental importance on something you can't wear, LOL.

I finally lost alllll the weight, and can wear my rings. On cruise I wear my engagement ring to dinner. Otherwise I wear just my very simple $70 wedding band. (I bought myself the cheap one and bought DH the expensive "comfort fit" one) I have a variety of other rings that I swap out at home, too. I have my grandma's wedding set that I LOVE, and my MIL recently gave me a brown diamond with white diamonds around it, in very yellow gold, that I might wear depending on my outfit. (I am partial to silver color, and my engagement ring is a big hunk of platinum with a half bezel setting....MIL and I have VERY different tastes)

I don't feel that San Juan is a hotbed of crime, unless you manage to find yourself in La Perla (not easy to get to if on a cruise day excursion), but I probably would leave the expensive rings in the safe just because I would want to leave them in the safe.

I'm so disturbed by the number of people who cannot get their rings off. How is that healthy? I can't even deal with the THOUGHT of how that feels, let alone want to experience it. When my fingers were too swollen or fat to fit my rings, it felt awful and didn't look that great, either. Gracious people, get them resized or something.

I thought wedding rings were a symbol of unity with your spouse. Mine is a simple gold band and I am pretty sure it never left my finger in 26 years. It's placed on for unity, and remains there.

Key word there is *symbol*. If my wedding band is off, I don't forget our wedding vows. If my band is on, it doesn't make things stronger. It's a symbol.

Isn't that what a wedding ring is? Bad luck to take it off

To you. Not to everyone. :) And no, not everyone uses a plain band as a wedding ring. And some people have their engagement rings soldered to their wedding bands.

Recently purchased a QALO silicone wedding ring. I wear this at my job for safety reasons and will be great for traveling. DW just ordered one as well.

Those rings are SO cool. DH and I both lift weights, and I don't like the feeling of the gold on the handles (and there's no way I wear my platinum for lifting), and those are strong possibilities of alternatives for both of us. :)