wedding rings

MISSSNOOPYGIRL

No comment on the "correctness" of taking off.

Here is my 2 cents: We got to the beach and on a local lake a lot. A few years ago, my wife bough some fake earings and wedding rings to wear there. More worried about them getting lost or damaged (vs. stolen). You can get some really nice stuff on Amazon for < $100 . . . looks nicer than her $10K stuff doh!!!

We were on Freedom last week and she just took these. That way no worries about it getting misplaced or scratched, (or stolen).

When you all cruise, do you bring your wedding rings? Also, do you bring them when you visit islands? I ask this because I recently read a crime article about heavier crime islands such as Puerto Rico and they said only bring as much cash as you need and only what you are prepared to lose (so no expensive jewelry)

Nope - never. My dad was shot in St. Maarten for my step-mom's jewelry. He's fine but he goes off when he goes through airport security as bits of bullet are still in him. This happened 20 years ago and wasn't even in a seedy area.

The odds of something happening are pretty slim, however you can prevent an invitation by leaving it at home. I just don't risk it, it's not worth it.

I have never taken mine. I don't take anything that is significant or meaningful. I purchased a large costume ring from a major department store and wore it on numerous cruises and received many compliments on it, paid about $20 for it. Any security firm will tell you that many employees have access to the cabin safes. If you would be upset if it was lost or stolen don't take it, not worth it.

My wife and I have plain (matching) tungsten carbide wedding bands for vacations. They were about $15 each from Amazon and don't draw attention to themselves. If someone mugged us thinking they were gold, they can have them.

She usually brings her diamonds for formal night though.

I'm so disturbed by the number of people who cannot get their rings off. How is that healthy? I can't even deal with the THOUGHT of how that feels, let alone want to experience it. When my fingers were too swollen or fat to fit my rings, it felt awful and didn't look that great, either. Gracious people, get them resized or something.

I'm constantly amazed by the number of people who feel qualified (entitled?) to give unsolicited advice to perfect strangers on the Internet.

A slight case of arthritis has swollen my knuckles just enough that I'm no longer able to remove my wedding ring. If I resized it enough to fit over my knuckle, it would swing around on my finger (it has a definite front and back) and be annoying. It's in no way unhealthy and seeing the back of the ring showing rather than the front wouldn't "look that great, either."

If you think you'll be worried about taking expensive pieces of jewelry on your cruise, get some fakes you love and take them with you. If you like blinging out in the real stuff, do that. A vacation is a time you should enjoy yourself and not worry about protecting your valuables or not having fun showing off your sparklies.

I have a simple white gold band I wear when traveling. I bought it mainly for snorkeling and ocean activities, didn't want to lose my good rings. But I pretty much just wear that when I leave the country now and lock my rings in the safe.

My wedding ring is 43 years old and the only time I take it off is when I work in NICU or surgery as we are required to. I take my "good" jewelry on cruises, what's the point of having some good stuff if it sits in a safe? I don't, however, where anything good off the ship in any port but I also don't wear good stuff when I go downtown in Indianapolis in the evenings.:D

The one time I took my gold band wedding ring off in a port was in Brazil. We were repeatedly warned by ship staff not to wear jewelry of any kind when off the ship, even cheap jewelry.

Sherri:)

My wedding ring is 43 years old and the only time I take it off is when I work in NICU or surgery as we are required to. I take my "good" jewelry on cruises, what's the point of having some good stuff if it sits in a safe? I don't, however, where anything good off the ship in any port but I also don't wear good stuff when I go downtown in Indianapolis in the evenings.:D

The one time I took my gold band wedding ring off in a port was in Brazil. We were repeatedly warned by ship staff not to wear jewelry of any kind when off the ship, even cheap jewelry.

Sherri:)

On the ship vs on the dock.

The bracelet doesn't come off, its bolted to her arm. I guess I could remove it prior to heading ashore, but it's a PITA.

1452693123089.jpg.640ed3c102c4c8c5228d051caed761a4.jpg

1452693148213.jpg.7101a0914f5826824f7bc3d6c6c6d177.jpg

..it must be terrible to feel so afraid when travelling.

Must be terrible to be so naïve that you don't see that crime is a real part of travel.

You don't have to live in fear, but wherever you travel, you should be mindful and reasonable. A former co-worker wore a HUGE HUGE HUGE ring and her husband wore a nice high-end Tag Heuer watch on an excursion in... I want to say it was Albania, but could have been anywhere in the Balkans. They came back a little roughed up and with neither of those things.

Crime can happen anywhere. I believe those that say "Why would I wear serious bling-bling in a country where those items are worth more than a year's salary?" aren't stupid for thinking that.

My wife has a stunt ring that she begrudgingly wears when she does anything of the sort. She does volunteer work that is physical labor and never wears her real ring (the stunt ring is a simple band that matches mine) for fear of damage or loss. She doesn't wear her real ring when we go to the beach or snorkel. She doesn't wear her real ring when we visit poorer countries or do physical excursions.

Insured or not, that's just reasonable. It is insured, but she really loves her ring and we aren't the type that would limit where we travel or what we experience for something like jewelry.

I get the stunt ring for physical work, but don't you risk getting roughed up over a fake ring as easily as a real one

In my wife's case, no. It's a titanium band that is blatantly not gold, silver, nor does it have any stones.

http://www.amazon.com/Titanium-Engagement-Birthday-Boyfriend-Girlfriend/dp/B017K1YSJK

This is close, but it's quite plain and the finish is a bit darker gray & matte.

As other have said, I encourage leaving our rings on the ship.

This last cruise we didn't remove them as we had been married for 40 hours when we boarded, so we were too emotional about keeping them on. Now that the "newness" and selfishness has worn off, we will definitely take them off before going ashore. Removing them doesn't make our marriage invalid or less significant, so I take it off anytime I think I will be in a damaging situation (painting, working on my car, etc...)

In my opinion, our bands are not flashy and weren't too pricey, but theft is a crime of opportunity. What appears cheap to me--might appear expensive to someone else. Losing them or having them stolen wouldn't hurt is monetarily, just emotionally (or potentially physically), so why risk it?

Must be terrible to be so naïve that you don't see that crime is a real part of travel.

You don't have to live in fear, but wherever you travel, you should be mindful and reasonable. A former co-worker wore a HUGE HUGE HUGE ring and her husband wore a nice high-end Tag Heuer watch on an excursion in... I want to say it was Albania, but could have been anywhere in the Balkans. They came back a little roughed up and with neither of those things.

Crime can happen anywhere. I believe those that say "Why would I wear serious bling-bling in a country where those items are worth more than a year's salary?" aren't stupid for thinking that.

My wife has a stunt ring that she begrudgingly wears when she does anything of the sort. She does volunteer work that is physical labor and never wears her real ring (the stunt ring is a simple band that matches mine) for fear of damage or loss. She doesn't wear her real ring when we go to the beach or snorkel. She doesn't wear her real ring when we visit poorer countries or do physical excursions.

Insured or not, that's just reasonable. It is insured, but she really loves her ring and we aren't the type that would limit where we travel or what we experience for something like jewelry.

Thank you for labeling me naive. I am blonde and got blue eyes, so I can live good with being labelled naive. Still better than going through life being afraid.

I am never afraid in Oslo, never been afraid in Riga, Sharm-El Sheikh, Jerusalem, San Juan, Miami or New York. If someone tries to mug me because I carry my nice dslr camera and a good watch, I will gladly give it away. I got my insurance, and luckily I am too close connected to any item. Items can be replaced.

I dont let fear control my life. The chances is much higher for being killed in traffic on my way to the airport and my vacation, than being killed during a robbery..

LIFE happens!

Thank you for labeling me naive. I am blonde and got blue eyes, so I can live good with being labelled naive. Still better than going through life being afraid.

I am never afraid in Oslo, never been afraid in Riga, Sharm-El Sheikh, Jerusalem, San Juan, Miami or New York. If someone tries to mug me because I carry my nice dslr camera and a good watch, I will gladly give it away. I got my insurance, and luckily I am too close connected to any item. Items can be replaced.

I dont let fear control my life. The chances is much higher for being killed in traffic on my way to the airport and my vacation, than being killed during a robbery..

LIFE happens!

I'm not worried about stuff. Stuff is just stuff.

I'm also not prejudiced against blondes with blue eyes. I don't measure someone's worth like that.

I do wonder if you've ever been mugged before. Gladly handing things over isn't always an option, nor does it ever guarantee your safety. I had a friend get sliced with a knife in front of the Moulin Rouge in Paris over 5‎€ and a broken flip-phone. Both items he gladly gave to the guy.

Life does happen. Fairly realistically.

I'm not worried about stuff. Stuff is just stuff.

I'm also not prejudiced against blondes with blue eyes. I don't measure someone's worth like that.

I do wonder if you've ever been mugged before. Gladly handing things over isn't always an option, nor does it ever guarantee your safety. I had a friend get sliced with a knife in front of the Moulin Rouge in Paris over 5‎€ and a broken flip-phone. Both items he gladly gave to the guy.

Life does happen. Fairly realistically.

So we actually agree, but disagree. Fine by me:)

No, never been mugged. Happy for that. Survived a suicide bomb when I was on a study trip in Jerusalem in May 2001 though. So yes, life does happen - fairly realistic.... (I had the pleasure visiting Jerusalem again in 2012, and hope to visit that fantastic place again in the future.)

Yes.

No.

I've lost many wedding rings over the years, including one on a cruise; they tend to slip off my finger in the water. I bring it but only wear it in the evening. But I'm not worried about crime. Just sun tan lotion. It's very lubricating.

At least gold is way down, next time it won't cost so much to replace.

Edited by DrD

I never took my rings off for over 50 years till I had surgery and my ring finger if permanently bent. Luckily I took them off before the hospital.

I ordered several rings on EBay. The nicest on was $4.99, and since it's two sizes larger, I can get it on. Came from China in 5 days with free shipping!

My husband could have saved a lot of money if he'd only known!

If a robber wants it, it slips off easily, no need to take my finger with it.

I've heard it's beautiful, but that's rough. Glad you survived.

Thankfully, I've only been through much lesser experiences. When I was a teen, I was chased and managed to outrun some muggers in Ohio. Another time I apparently was a bigger guy than he expected because he took off running within like 5 seconds of jumping out at me. He was just a stupid kid trying to be tough and didn't pull a gun or knife.

Oh... and I have a funny one, I was wearing prescription sunglasses at night once. It was the middle of Texas, it was late, my contact had popped out, I only had my emergency driving glasses in the car and had to put them on. I was at a music festival and walking to a port-a-potty. This little weasel dude about half my size comes up and asks me how much money I've got. I figure he's trying to sell me some drugs and brush him off. He keeps walking with me and starts saying something about how wasted I must be because I didn't realize it was night. I'm like "go away" and he's like "Don't worry, bro. I'll take care of you. Get you back to your friends." and then he pats where my wallet would have been normally (but I'm at an outdoor festival and just had my money and ID in my front pocket) and he says something like "Just give me your money and I'll get you back to them." That didn't work out so well for him. Not at all.