wedding rings

MISSSNOOPYGIRL

When you all cruise, do you bring your wedding rings? Also, do you bring them when you visit islands? I ask this because I recently read a crime article about heavier crime islands such as Puerto Rico and they said only bring as much cash as you need and only what you are prepared to lose (so no expensive jewelry)

I've always worn my wedding rings -- Puerto Rico, Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Nassau, Barcelona, etc etc. No problem. Just practice the same safety rules you'd follow in Los Angeles, Detroit, New York City etc.

For those who are not sure they can take their ring off you really need to make sure you can get it off.

1. If it has any diamonds or other gemstones, you need to be able to take it off to have it checked by a jeweler once a year.

2. Should anything happen, like you break your arm, you need to be able to get the ring off immediately as your fingers will swell and this could permanently damage the nerves in your finger if you can't get the ring off. My father had an incident where this happened to him and the ER had to cut his ring off of him, but he was in terrible pain from the ring until they got it off which could have been avoided if he had only made sure he could always remove it. I

f you can't remove it, go to a jeweler and have them help you, even if they have to cut it off and resize the ring. It is better to do it under non-emergency circumstances then wait until you have a serious and painful problem.

As to taking rings on a cruise, no, I leave mine in the safety deposit box at my local bank. My rings are insured, but if they were stolen on a cruise ship, I'm not sure how to report it to the "police" and I don't trust the cruise lines to give me the paperwork I'd need to activate the insurance. If they were stolen on an excursion - what if it happened at the end of the excursion when we were rushing back to the ship? How would I have time to make the proper police report? So I take a fake ring. If anyone wants it, that's OK by me and I have no worries about an insurance settlement.

I take my rings off all the time! I don't wear them to the gym because the metal weights bars wear away the softer gold. I don't wear them in the shower or while I'm sleeping. I have a little ring holder on my bedside table where they always sit at home, but I have a jewellery pouch that I take when we travel. I plan on keeping it in the safe when we go on our cruise.

This is the ring holder I have on my bedside table:

http://m.macys.com/shop/product/vera-wang-wedgwood-infinity-ring-holder?ID=947666&CategoryID=56127

When you all cruise, do you bring your wedding rings? Also, do you bring them when you visit islands? I ask this because I recently read a crime article about heavier crime islands such as Puerto Rico and they said only bring as much cash as you need and only what you are prepared to lose (so no expensive jewelry)

Never take my wedding ring off.

But then it wasn't exactly expensive.

Thurston and Lovey strike again!

Umm, ok. :rolleyes:

Just trying to say that why have jewelry if your to afraid to wear it on vacation. Not that many opportunities to dress up living on the beach. ;)

For us, the rings don't come off except for cleaning. We've never lost them in 35 years of showering, snorkeling, or diving or anything else. For those of you who do remove them and put them in the cabin's safe, get yourself a brightly colored jewelry bag big enough to be easily seen and use that to store them in. The safes have a lip on the bottom edge and are sometimes above eye level, so it's easy to miss something as small as a ring sitting on the bottom. I've seen more posts on CC about people leaving rings in the safe than I have about having rings lost or stolen in port.