wedding rings

MISSSNOOPYGIRL

I never take any real jewelry with me when I travel. I have a modest looking fake wedding ring and plenty of costume jewelry I can wear if I want some bling on a formal night, but mostly onshore, I wear a cheap watch, obviously fake earrings and that's it. If a mugger wants them, they can have all $15 worth. LOL!

For those saying Puerto Rico is a safe place please stop giving people a false sense of security. It is a very dangerous place and to say it's no more dangerous than any other US city is also FALSE. San Juan averages 26.2 murders per 100,000 while in the US mainland the average is 4.7 per 100,000. To me it's a stay on the ship kinda day!!!!

East St. Loius, IL - 40/100,000

Camden, NJ - 43/100,00

Gary, IN - 47/100,000

Chester, PA - 88/100,000

Detroit, MI - 45/100,00

NOLA - 39/100,000

Baltimore, MD - 34/100,000

St Louis, MO - 50/100,000

Jackson, MS - 36/100,000

Wilmington, DE - 38/100,000

Petersburg, VA - 31/100,000

Seems that San Juan as a whole is safer than many major US cities (of which it is one.)

Crime statistics beside, I take my wedding ring off everyday at work, no jewelry at all is permitted since we manufacture packaging for food. I also take it off when working on my car or motorcycle, doing projects around the house, etc. When I am not doing those thing, I wear it, if I remember to get it out of my desk and put it back on before going home!

My wife wears hers 24/7/365. She does not wear her diamond engagement ring on excursions, when swimming, etc more because she has almost lost it a couple times and has damaged the setting for the diamond a couple times.

I take my diamond ring off often: showering, sleeping, working out, riding horses (gloves don't fit well over it), making bread or meat loaf, etc. So I'm used to having it off. I have one place downstairs and one place upstairs I leave it when I take it off at home. I'm afraid if I took it with me when I travel that I would take it off in unfamiliar settings (all hotel rooms don't have safes) and I might leave it behind.

To each his own.

I never intended to take off my wedding ring. It has been off my finger three times in 42 years. When we were first married, it slipped off during the night as I had used hand lotion. The second time, it was removed before surgery. The third time I willingly took it off on the recommendation of my jeweler. She warned me that if I had a hand injury it could cut off circulation to my finger. She recommended that she cut it off(I couldn't take it off) and enlarge it. While I hated to take it off, I did have it done. I wear a simple white gold band and never take it off when I cruise.

Have your diamond setting checked by a jeweler once or twice a year. They can tell if the setting is wearing. I looked down at my diamond one day and one of the prongs was GONE!. I was lucky that the diamond hadn't slipped out.

Edited by hancock

Let me echo Hancock's advice to have your ring checked by a jeweler once a year, especially those of you who say you never take off your ring. If you wear it 24/7 it is going to get bumped into things and the prongs will suffer wear and tear. You don't want to look down one day to find your stone is missing!

Let me echo Hancock's advice to have your ring checked by a jeweler once a year, especially those of you who say you never take off your ring. If you wear it 24/7 it is going to get bumped into things and the prongs will suffer wear and tear. You don't want to look down one day to find your stone is missing!

Good advice, but I was under the impression that those that those who never took them off were referring to a traditional simple band, not the Diamond engagement ring

I take my diamond ring off often: showering, sleeping, working out, riding horses (gloves don't fit well over it), making bread or meat loaf, etc. So I'm used to having it off. I have one place downstairs and one place upstairs I leave it when I take it off at home. I'm afraid if I took it with me when I travel that I would take it off in unfamiliar settings (all hotel rooms don't have safes) and I might leave it behind.

To each his own.

As I read your post, I found myself shaking my head in agreement quite a bit. I wear 4 rings (my own wedding band, a tricolored ring that was my mothers, a pinky ring that was my FIL and a ring that was from my MIL); all of them are sentimental in some way. Every day, when I walk into my house I take them off and put them in a certain tray in a certain place. I do it because as I do things at home, hands get soapy and perhaps a ring will fall off when I don't realize it. That happened once when I was at work, and a ring slipped off and fell into the wastebasket. I did not hear it fall in there, but realized the ring was missing when I went to open the washroom door. When I am cruising I know there is a safe in the cabin and I use it, so that I can enjoy activities without worrying if the rings will fall off. If I am in a hotel at a land resort with no safe, they will be on my fingers or the rings will stay home, nice and safe. I happen to have an inexpensive ring that is a lookalike to my wedding band.

I NEVER take my rings off..except to clean them! Yes...you wear your wedding rings....they are supposed to be worn! Unless you have the HOPE Diamond set into your ring..wear them!

I have a combo diamond/wedding ring and I leave it at the vault at home. I wear the ring I got from my husband for my birthday to replace it on trips. I wear nothing to call attention to myself in port. Does this mean I am less happily married? No. It means my DH and I can explore off the beaten path with less worry.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

My wedding ring is a plain, gold band. In 45 years of marriage, it has never left my finger. Not for work as a nurse; not for surgeries; not for travel.

I've travelled to 67 countries, on cruise ships and on land, and have never felt there was any threat to my ring.

I don't wear expensive rings with flashy stones while I'm travelling (why tempt anyone?) but I've never worried about my wedding ring.

Edited by celle
Typo

In all my years of traveling around my home country and abroad, I never thought of removing my wedding set unless I needed to take it off for the occasional trip to the jeweler's table for tightening. It was a modest set, with the wedding band connected to the engagement ring via a hook (hard to describe). The total width of both rings was equal to most wedding bands alone. The diamond was close-set to the band so it didn't stand up and out too much. It was not a huge diamond, but a VVS1 - we went for quality, not quantity ;-)

I wanted a ring set that I could wear while playing sports (including volleyball) and wear with gloves when I went skiing.

Sure, other friends had the big, honking, showy diamond. I never went in for that kind of showiness. I love my set.

I always wear earrings. But, again, I'm not into blingy or showy. I'm partial to sterling silver, so a pair of small studs in the upper holes and an fun pair on the lowers and I am never worried. I wear two studs if I'm going bodysurfing to avoid potential issues when I get nailed by a wave :eek:

For those who wear a fake ring in those crime-ridden ports: is there some kind of hidden x-ray that the roaming bands of thieves have that can tell that your ring is fake so they will avoid you???

I was held up at gunpoint in my own resort hometown 5 years ago. And, I still travel solo around the world as I always have. My next trip may be a land vacation on Puerto Rico in April.

Edited by slidergirl

In all my years of traveling around my home country and abroad, I never thought of removing my wedding set unless I needed to take it off for the occasional trip to the jeweler's table for tightening. It was a modest set, with the wedding band connected to the engagement ring via a hook (hard to describe). The total width of both rings was equal to most wedding bands alone. The diamond was close-set to the band so it didn't stand up and out too much. It was not a huge diamond, but a VVS1 - we went for quality, not quantity ;-)

I wanted a ring set that I could wear while playing sports (including volleyball) and wear with gloves when I went skiing.

Sure, other friends had the big, honking, showy diamond. I never went in for that kind of showiness. I love my set.

I always wear earrings. But, again, I'm not into blingy or showy. I'm partial to sterling silver, so a pair of small studs in the upper holes and an fun pair on the lowers and I am never worried. I wear two studs if I'm going bodysurfing to avoid potential issues when I get nailed by a wave :eek:

For those who wear a fake ring in those crime-ridden ports: is there some kind of hidden x-ray that the roaming bands of thieves have that can tell that your ring is fake so they will avoid you???

I was held up at gunpoint in my own resort hometown 5 years ago. And, I still travel solo around the world as I always have. My next trip may be a land vacation on Puerto Rico in April.

Fake rings can prevent mugging altogether if they're modest. For someone willing to mug us for our jewelry and cash, at least we didn't lose anything of sentimental or monetary value. Of course, my wife's band isn't modest like you describe yours.

I never leave mine behind. I do tend to turn it around when walking around so that the stones are not as visible to the casual observer. When I lived in the Caribbean I had to park a few blocks from where I worked and had to walk through a couple sketchy areas. I felt like turning them just gave less to catch the wrong eyes.

When you all cruise, do you bring your wedding rings? Also, do you bring them when you visit islands? I ask this because I recently read a crime article about heavier crime islands such as Puerto Rico and they said only bring as much cash as you need and only what you are prepared to lose (so no expensive jewelry)

We wear ours but they are relatively simple rings. I would say, if you are not prepared to lose them, then leave them on the ship in the safe or even at home.

I always read these threads about To Wear or Not To Wear Wedding Rings ... and I've always been curious ... so I'm finally asking -

If you remove your wedding rings for whatever reason, why do you feel the need to wear a fake one? What difference does it make?

In the spirit of openness, I should mention that I have never removed my wedding ring ... it's a plain gold band that is very thin. I do remove my engagement band & my anniversary band when necessary ... as a matter of fact, they are both off now due to recent surgery, and possibly more treatment in the near future.

But they'll be back on when we take our cruise in February, and will probably stay on the entire time except for when I'm in the shower. We won't be participating in any water activities and won't be going off very far on our own this trip.

We always wear our rings on cruises/vacation, never had any issues.

When you all cruise, do you bring your wedding rings? Also, do you bring them when you visit islands? I ask this because I recently read a crime article about heavier crime islands such as Puerto Rico and they said only bring as much cash as you need and only what you are prepared to lose (so no expensive jewelry)

I would NOT bring my rings anymore. I brought my rings but my fingers started swelling, and I didn't want to bring to port anyway. Put them in the safe. I got used to not wearing them, and was rushed during debarkation. Yep, left them in the safe! I reported them lost. Miraculously, a month later, Carnival calls to say they have them and are sending them to me. Next time I am going to buy a cz or plain wedding band if I take anything at all. It wasn't worth the stress. Bon Voyage!

• 3 months later...

We do not travel with expensive jewelry. It goes into the safety deposit box before we leave. We don't take very much and none of it has any value. Don't want the hassle of worrying about loosing it, theft etc. Wedding rings are a bit meaningless to us so we have no issue in leaving them behind-most especially on beach vacations. They are just rings after all.

Edited by iancal