Question about dress code in DR on Caribbean Itinerary

Wren3

Hi, can anyone advise whether a gentleman can wear linen type collared-buttoned Hawaiian shirts (not flashy colors) in the DR at evening meals whilst on a Caribbean itinerary and dress pants? Not sure if this is acceptable. Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by Wren3

Hi, can anyone advise whether a gentleman can wear linen type collared-buttoned Hawaiian shirts (not flashy colors) in the DR at evening meals whilst on a Caribbean itinerary and dress pants? Not sure if this is acceptable. Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you.

Good to go.

Aloha shirts manufactured for local wear (Hawaii) are considered formal wear in business and government, and thus are regarded as equivalent to a shirt, coat, and tie (generally impractical in the warmer climate of Hawaii) in all but the most formal of settings.[1]

Wear with pride! :)

I was on a recent (December 2015) Caribbean cruise and it was very casual throughout the ship. I saw a few men in spoart coats, but I don't specifically recalling seeing a tie. I think any reasonable resort style wear would be acceptable.

(Sorry for the type in the title!)

John

Edited by PSULion

We haven't been on a real Carib cruise in a long time but from what I have read, consensus is that these cruises are more casual than those in other areas.

I didn't particularly notice a difference but our last real Caribbean cruise was more than 10 years ago.

I also don't think this should concern anyone! Unless you show up in the GDR or a specialty restaurant with holes in your jeans, you shouldn't have to worry. And if you WANT to wear more formal attire, no one will attack you.

Mura

We haven't been on a real Carib cruise in a long time but from what I have read, consensus is that these cruises are more casual than those in other areas.

I didn't particularly notice a difference but our last real Caribbean cruise was more than 10 years ago.

I also don't think this should concern anyone! Unless you show up in the GDR or a specialty restaurant with holes in your jeans, you shouldn't have to worry. And if you WANT to wear more formal attire, no one will attack you.

Mura

Would not think about showing up for dinner in jeans anyplace on the ship.

Although I agree with you, it is acceptable for dining in the Terrace Cafe for the evening buffet - the place to go if you do not want dress restrictions. But not acceptable in the MDR or specialty restaurants.

Your opinion is quite valid -- for you. The rules state otherwise, for the Terrace, and as long as you at least follow the minimum rules, no one cares if you go them one better.