Smoking onboard

jakes47

Bell Boy,

I would say that your comment is unfair. The lady to whom I believe you refer has not been a guest on Seabourn for more than a year. To suggest that she is somehow connected to Seabourn's failure to amend its policies is simplistic.

No, I believe, as a frequent Seabourn guest also something of an "insider", Seabourn has its own and different reasons for being slow to restrict smoking further and beyond what it achieved 2 years ago with the ban on in-cabin smoking. Some have suggested that it's a cynical pursuit of the smoker market but I am not so sure. Seabourn has to know - my hope, at least - that they were losing business from those who cannot or will not endure second hand smoke on such an expensive cruise experience.

I will leave it that Seabourn has finally gotten smarter about accommodating the expectations of the overwhelming majority of its current and likely future customers.

Happy and HEALTHY sailing!

Not an unfair comment at all, It's a well known fact .

I have it on good authority that the subject of no smoking, particularly in the fwd 'observation lounge' was always a delicate subject, not wishing to upset a resident guest.

Although I'm a non smoker I didn't really disturb me. I got on very well with the resident guest and occasionally enjoyed her company.

Edited by Bell Boy

Did you read my earlier post?

If the "resident guest" has been off Seabourn for more than a year how can the notion of permitting or banning smoking in a bar that she hasn't set foot in more than a year be connected to her?

Maybe I am missing what "well known fact" of yours relates to this policy. Please clarify, ok?

Happy and HEALTHY cruising!

If the "resident guest" has been off Seabourn for more than a year how can the notion of permitting or banning smoking in a bar that she hasn't set foot in more than a year be connected to her?

My thoughts exactly. If she were really the one and only showstopper, the smoking policy could have changed over a year ago.

Any cruise line that introduce

changes that could have an impact on future guest bookings, don't just introduce them overnight.

We have seen the same with Cunard line and Oceania when they amended their smoking policy, they were aware of future customer bookings and the change had to take place gradually over at least eighteen months. In the case of Seabourn and the introduction of their new ship, I guess this would be the best opportunity to implement any changes across the fleet.

We are both entitled to an opinion , you have yours and I have mine. Lets agree to disagree.

Thank You and enjoy your weekend.

Edited by Bell Boy

Bell Boy,

I would say that your comment is unfair. The lady to whom I believe you refer has not been a guest on Seabourn for more than a year. To suggest that she is somehow connected to Seabourn's failure to amend its policies is simplistic.

No, I believe, as a frequent Seabourn guest also something of an "insider", Seabourn has its own and different reasons for being slow to restrict smoking further and beyond what it achieved 2 years ago with the ban on in-cabin smoking. Some have suggested that it's a cynical pursuit of the smoker market but I am not so sure. Seabourn has to know - my hope, at least - that they were losing business from those who cannot or will not endure second hand smoke on such an expensive cruise experience.

I will leave it that Seabourn has finally gotten smarter about accommodating the expectations of the overwhelming majority of its current and likely future customers.

Happy and HEALTHY sailing!

Some have suggested that it's a cynical pursuit of the smoker market...

But's who's the competition? If Seabourn adopts the same policy as other similar lines, where's the pizzed-off smoker going to go? If the small minority of smokers drop off the radar, their spots will get filled by clean air-preferred pax. Ultimately most will choose the merits of Seabourn based on quality and not a loose or rigid smoking policy. Not sure why management has their heads in the sand (or up their...) over that.

Edited by softsands

You are quite right, Markham. It was a bit of wishful thinking - that it might improve things even more. I remember reading that Mr. M was such a keen smoker it would be hard to persuade him to move in our direction.

If the "resident guest" has been off Seabourn for more than a year how can the notion of permitting or banning smoking in a bar that she hasn't set foot in more than a year be connected to her? [\QUOTE]

Actually, Markham, the "resident guest" last sailed in Oct., 2014, nearly 2 yrs ago. I know because I was in the cruise terminal when she bid her tearful goodbyes. Which further reinforces your point...

While I have never been next to a smoker, I definitely know how I would deal with it. First, I would introduce myself and nicely point out that we are not smokers, but would like to coordinate with them so all of us can enjoy our balconies. Figure out a "one cigarette" at a time suggestion so that there isn't more than 10 minutes of smoke at a time--or whatever.

Now if that doesn't work, fight smoke with music. If you go out on the deck and your neighbors aren't willing to share clean air, take your I Pad docking station outside and turn the volume up to the max with your most annoying music!!! Guaranteed that will drive them inside!! It may cause an "attitude adjustment" on their part. If they complain, point out that air pollution and noise pollution are both problems that need negotiation. Just a thought!

While I have never been next to a smoker, I definitely know how I would deal with it. First, I would introduce myself and nicely point out that we are not smokers, but would like to coordinate with them so all of us can enjoy our balconies. Figure out a "one cigarette" at a time suggestion so that there isn't more than 10 minutes of smoke at a time--or whatever.

Now if that doesn't work, fight smoke with music. If you go out on the deck and your neighbors aren't willing to share clean air, take your I Pad docking station outside and turn the volume up to the max with your most annoying music!!! Guaranteed that will drive them inside!! It may cause an "attitude adjustment" on their part. If they complain, point out that air pollution and noise pollution are both problems that need negotiation. Just a thought!

I like that idea :D. I was thinking of a spay can of air freshener directed at the offenders.

I am more than happy for smokers to have their place as long as I can enjoy my space ie: suite and balcony - smoke free. If they want to smoke on the Ob lounge after 8 – we can work around that. If there is another communal area designated for smokers – we can work around that also - BUT – the private area we have paid for is a different matter and smoking should not be allowed or tolerated.

We are very much looking forward to our first SB cruise next month. We are not people to like to make waves :rolleyes:. If there is a problem we may comment here but we won't return to SB until changes are made.

This thread seems to have opened a can of worms which was never my original intention, however I am now glad it has and I hope SB is listening.

I like the first part of this, the negotiations and compromises. But the second part not so much. Cruise ship passengers should not have to retaliate against each other.

But what about your neighbours on the other side who have to suffer your music? The people smoking have not done anything wrong as Seabourn say it is OK to smoke on balconies. Don't get me wrong I hate smoking with a passion and have suffered second hand smoke,I also have complained to Seabourn until I am blue in the face but hopefully a change is coming.

But what about your neighbours on the other side who have to suffer your music? The people smoking have not done anything wrong as Seabourn say it is OK to smoke on balconies. Don't get me wrong I hate smoking with a passion and have suffered second hand smoke,I also have complained to Seabourn until I am blue in the face but hopefully a change is coming.

I think change will come and the smokers will adapt as they have done on other lines. It is just taking too long for Seabourn to change their policy.

I think change will come and the smokers will adapt as they have done on other lines. It is just taking too long for Seabourn to change their policy.

And their Sloth-like approach to changing policy stinks of arrogance and blatant disregard for what is the right thing to do.

And their Sloth-like approach to changing policy stinks of arrogance and blatant disregard for what is the right thing to do.

I love sloths in the animal form.:D. To reform the smoking policy is a no brainer. Most all hotels are non-smoking and every other luxury line has very strict smoking policies.

• 2 weeks later...

28,477 posts later, some of which were contentious, I move to lay this thread to rest.

But before it goes the way of the dinosaurs, and now that Seabourn has restricted smoking in line with its competition as of this fall, it's worth reflecting for a minute how far we have come by speaking up. And that the change being implemented for the welfare of everyone is smart and irreversible. Most satisfying! It's even good for business.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Sorry. This should read "28,477 views later..." and not "posts later". I guess that the prospect of clean air for our upcoming cruises combined with this long-anticipated reward distracted me this early morning.

Happy and healthy sailing!