Smoking onboard

jakes47

Does Seabourn monitor these threads? I hope so! I know Regent, Oceania and Azamara do monitor and respond frequently to issues. Why hasn't Seabourn done the same?

I'm very interested in trying Seabourn but can't imagine spending $25K to $30K to be around smoke. Hoping things will change.

There probably is somebody from management who monitors Cruise Critic, but, as far as I have seen, they do not make their presence known on these threads.

I have sort of given up on all of this. I have reached the conclusion that one of the niche markets that Seabourn caters to is the smokers' market. Almost no one else is going after this market, so maybe Seabourn has found that they can make some money off of the smokers? This is not a new idea; others on CC have proposed this.

Completely agree, tv24. I am sure they do read CC, and also that they are deliberately catering to the smokers'market, now that the proportion of US passengers is less than it used to be - on average I would say down from 80% a few years ago to about 50% now.

from the guest list booklet on the Quest Lisbon - Copenhagen segment. Not everyone participated, of course:

US 247; Australia 53; UK 27;Canada 25;NZ 11 & the balance - all single digits - from W. Europe & a small number from South America & Asia. So this particular cruise was still heavily North American and heavily non-smokers.

The smoking wasn't overwhelming but no less annoying. The Observation Lounge didn't have many smokers but enough to cause it to be unusable when they were in action. I witnessed an oaf of a man on the stern deck behind the Square stretched out on a sofa with a giant cigar while his cell phone was on speaker mode so that everyone could catch both ends of the conversation. Not sure which was more annoying... his cigar or cell phone. On another smoking note, it always amazes me after a W. Europe visit how horribly the streets & sidewalks are littered with cigarette butts.

Mr. Meadows was on board along with many other "suits" & I really hoped that someone would blow smoke in his face so that he could experience how distasteful the smoking situation is on board. Of course we mention it on our post cruise survey but we never receive a response but then we put down a deposit for a future cruise so how seriously can they take our complaint???

Completely agree, tv24. I am sure they do read CC, and also that they are deliberately catering to the smokers'market, now that the proportion of US passengers is less than it used to be - on average I would say down from 80% a few years ago to about 50% now.

The idea that Seabourn is catering to the "smoker's market" is fanciful.

What they are doing is trying to strike a balance in order to keep most people happy most of the time. That involves a 'flexible' smoking policy but it also involves much more. Different dining options, the whole 'mixology' thing, Thomas Keller, etc. etc..

And it is working. The ships are sailing full or pretty full most of the time. Those who refuse to sail because of smoking are very much in a small minority and are essentially insignificant in terms of market impact.

As the old adage goes, 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'. That said, I could see the policy being tweaked and especially with regard to the Observation Lounge. It is, apparently, and ongoing discussion at Corporate.

In the meantime, up to each of us to decide if the positive aspects of cruising with Seabourn outweighs the negative aspects.

I wonder what impact plain old common sense has to do with decision making at Seabourn head office relative to this smoking issue.

Sure, there are those who say "if it ain't broke...". That's a cop out when health matters are concerned.

Who in his or her right mind would choose to subject themselves to second hand smoke in the living room of my home? For those that might there must be something awfully worthwhile in it, don't you think? For most, though, I would come across as a poor host.

Now back to the Observation Bars which I like to refer to as the biggest smokers' lounges on any passenger ship after 20:00 each evening. Just imagine paying up for a Baltic, Chilean fjord or Antarctica cruise and expecting to enjoy

the vistas from these 10 deck forward-facing rooms. Why Seabourn might even lay on lecturers to make the experience enriching. But then a few show up, light up, and drive you outta there, oblivious to your welfare and that of everyone else. Ridiculous.

The same can be said about your use of those verandas for which you paid a premium. It's morning, it's afternoon, it's evening and there's your neighbor lighting up again, just upwind of you. Ridiculous.

That's the state of play now. It's 26 May, 2016. Ridiculous.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Agree with you with one exception. "But then a few show up, light up, and drive you outta there, oblivious to your welfare and that of everyone else". They simply don't care about anyone's welfare, yours or ours. And neither must Seabourn......

However, I know they read these boards (discussion re TK with staff) and you may not believe it but it has improved over the years - the Club used to be full of smoke on the little ships. I still live in hope that veranda and Observation Bar smoking will go the same way in time. Hopefully not too long off.

Most of us are prepared for smoking to be allowed in limited, outdoor, areas - or a smoking lounge if they ever get round to providing one - but the two venues I mentioned should be a no-no.

Seabourn, PLEASE hear our prayer, and let our cry come unto thee!

With almost 17,000 views of this thread it is obvious that "Smoking onboard" is an issue of interest to many people, no doubt both the non smokers who want Seabourns policy changed, and the smokers who are keen to see the status quo continue.

I am one of the non smokers who check in to this thread from time to time in the hope that someone is announcing that smoking on Seabourn ships is being significantly curtailed.

I know that the non smoking arguments are regularly repeated, and it appears that nothing is changing right now. However we shouldn't give up the pressure on Seabourn to change its smoking policy. Apart from being very unpleasant, smoking is proven to be dangerous to health and there is no doubt that Seabourn's policy is out of step with most of the rest of the world.

I respect the rights of people to smoke, it is a legal activity after all. It is just that in so many other public places around the world sensible practices apply, where smokers and non smokers rights can be protected, without affecting the health of those who chose not to smoke.

So I have nothing new to say, just support for those who continue to post their protests of Seabourns smoking policy. Don't lose faith that in time, Seabourn will finally implement a policy that reflects worldwide smoking practices.

The idea that Seabourn is catering to the "smoker's market" is fanciful.

What they are doing is trying to strike a balance in order to keep most people happy most of the time. That involves a 'flexible' smoking policy but it also involves much more. Different dining options, the whole 'mixology' thing, Thomas Keller, etc. etc..

And it is working. The ships are sailing full or pretty full most of the time. Those who refuse to sail because of smoking are very much in a small minority and are essentially insignificant in terms of market impact.

As the old adage goes, 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'. That said, I could see the policy being tweaked and especially with regard to the Observation Lounge. It is, apparently, and ongoing discussion at Corporate.

In the meantime, up to each of us to decide if the positive aspects of cruising with Seabourn outweighs the negative aspects.

Hardly "fanciful." By choosing to allow smoking indoors in the Observation Bar and on the private verandahs, Seabourn has chosen a policy that is assertively pro-smoking, much different than just about any other cruise line. This accommodates the smokers to the detriment of those who do not smoke. This does indeed cater to the niche smokers market. I suppose I am being cynical on this subject, and shame on me for that, but I cannot think of any other reason why Seabourn adheres to this policy while the rest of the cruise world is going in the other direction. Like I wrote before, I have given up, I can only conclude that management has decided to go after th smokers market. No one else has, so maybe it's a smart move?

This was a really helpful thread. We're looking for a luxury trip next spring to celebrate a big anniversary, and Seabourn sounded like a big step up. However, I don't want to run the risk of being unable to use my balcony due to a neighbor's smoke.

Maybe in 5 years the policy will have changed, but I think for now I'll look at some of the other luxury lines. Every line has things that they do better and things that are not so good. I would be fine with a poor drinks selection, but really despise smoke.

This was a really helpful thread. We're looking for a luxury trip next spring to celebrate a big anniversary, and Seabourn sounded like a big step up. However, I don't want to run the risk of being unable to use my balcony due to a neighbor's smoke.

Maybe in 5 years the policy will have changed, but I think for now I'll look at some of the other luxury lines. Every line has things that they do better and things that are not so good. I would be fine with a poor drinks selection, but really despise smoke.

We took the risk on a recently completed cruise. We were in a balcony cabin toward the forward part of the ship. Unfortunately, at least two cabins upwind from us included smokers, thereby making our balcony only sometimes usable. The smoking situation was so bad that we could smell it in the hallways, suggesting that these guests were actually smoking in their rooms.

And, the Observation Bar was off-limits in the evening for nonsmokers. How the passengers on Deck 10 could stand the smell wafting from the open doors of the OB, I'll never know.

When we pay the amount of money that we do to sail on the luxury lines, we shouldn't have to put up with anything that is within the cruise lines ability to control - food, drink, service, smoking etc.

It is not beyond the realms of possibility for Seabourn to find an area of each ship during the next round of dry docks to make into a climate controlled, comfortable, indoor smoking area with a 'serve yourself' bar area to protect staff.

It does appear that they are catering towards the smoking market and if it is a problem, particularly on the balcony, when we next sail then I will just have to take Seabourn off the pedestal I have put them on, sell my Carnival stock and sail on other luxury lines without this policy :(

Edited by Techno123

Actually, I am taking land trips with Tauck. Last one was an absolutely fantastic 13 night African Safari , followed by several days in cape town South Africa area, and later this year to Japan ! I am interested in 2 SB cruises for 2017, but monitoring for changes in their smoking policy. We do enjoy more the "luxury" type cruise, and are totally flabbergasted that SB apparently doesn't "listen" to the large segment of their customers who find that smoking seriously Negatively impacts the perception of their cruise! We have always highlighted that displeasure on all our cruise reviews - never received any responses from corporate- or anyone! Guess, they don't value our patronage!

And - we did enjoy our Wind Surf beach cruise. I do love a balcony- but that itinerary- one is either on a beach- or on the outside deck-perhaps with actual sailing - -watching the sails unfurling with the majestic music accompaniment is quite exciting !

Kathy

A possible way to increase pressure on Seabourn about smoking on board is to address their twitter account - @SeabourbCruise. They won't appreciate it though.

If you follow them then everytime they tweet about something or other, reply by highlighting the smoking issue.

We've been closely monitoring this thread and are seriously rethinking our booked 2017 Seabourn cruise.

We really enjoy using our veranda and are willing to pay a higher fare to do so. We can avoid the common areas where smoking is permitted but of what use will our veranda be if those around us are outside puffing away on theirs?

It doesn't sound like Seabourn is a good fit for us which is a BIG disappointment because the itinerary for our cruise is wonderful.

We just returned from a Med cruise and did not have any smoke issues on our veranda. The Observation bar was another matter. We were hit by a wall of smoke upon entering. Too bad because we heard the piano player was fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Have been on the Quest for the past three days and have not run into any smokers yet. Sat in the Observation bar last night about 9 PM on the port side. Completely smoke free. Hope it keeps up.

We just returned from a Med cruise and did not have any smoke issues on our veranda. The Observation bar was another matter. We were hit by a wall of smoke upon entering. Too bad because we heard the piano player was fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I bet he was playing "smoke gets in your eyes"

I have mixed reactions to the Seabourn smoking issue.

The Observation Bar should be smoke free. All indoor areas should be smoke free.

On the other hand, I think permitting veranda smoking is the lesser evil than having a large, designated outdoor smoking area. On Regent and Silversea the outdoor smoking area is near the pool, often dirty, sometimes boundaries are "extended". It can impact enjoyable use of the pool.

Maybe I've been lucky, smoke from neighboring verandas has never been annoying.

Mountainduo,

Apparently you are mot familiar with the designated outdoors areas on Seabourn ships. To me, at least, they afford smokers what they want and do not impact on me particularly since I can easily avoid them. For example, the starboard side area near the Sky Bar, on a deck above the busier pool area, allows smokers a few tables where they can smoke. And I can walk by them as I cross the promenade to the port side in a few seconds while holding my breath if necessary. Same starboard side of decks 5 and 7, aft.

Also, I don't see what the point is of making comparisons to Silversea and Regent. They have different turf layouts for smokers. And about allowing smoking on verandas, do these lines offer the policy? No, they don't.

So who needs smokers on an adjacent veranda? Not the overwhelming majority of Seabourn passengers who find the whole idea irritating, to say the least. Smokers can go to the 3 outdoors designated areas.

The idea of smoking is a public lounge indoors is ridiculous and why Seabourn doesn't get it and revise their policy is mind boggling. This is 2016, not 1946, when I imagine corporate sponsors could find medical doctors to assert that smoking is beneficial to one's health...

We've been closely monitoring this thread and are seriously rethinking our booked 2017 Seabourn cruise.

We really enjoy using our veranda and are willing to pay a higher fare to do so. We can avoid the common areas where smoking is permitted but of what use will our veranda be if those around us are outside puffing away on theirs?

It doesn't sound like Seabourn is a good fit for us which is a BIG disappointment because the itinerary for our cruise is wonderful.

This may not go down well on this thread but....

we cruised with SB in March. There was a chap next door who I didn't know till late on had the odd cigarette on his balcony. we regularly sat on our balcony, It was only when I leant over and he saw me and asked if the smoke had bothered me. He said he had maximum one or two an evening just before dinner and to make sure I told him if it was a bother. This was towards the end of the cruise and I had no idea! I told him it was no problem. I honestly didn't know, couldn't smell anything and live and let live was my motto.

However, I do agree with the Observation Bar... I don't think people should smoke inside the ship.

So in reply to your post, as far as I'm concerned, it's no problem if anyone has a couple of cigarettes on their balcony so I honestly wouldn't let that stop you taking a SB cruise. The chances of you being outside at the exact moment your neighbours are and that neighbour happens to have a cigarette at that particular moment is probably pretty slim.

I appreciate this is just my opinion and everyone on this thread probably differs with this, but sometimes it's good to introduce another view! [smile]

Edited by Mauzac

Except that smoking on the verandah poses a far greater problem than possible odors. There's the distinct danger of a fire due to embers or lighted cigarettes thrown overboard. For that reason alone it should be banned.

Have been on the Quest for 9 days now and smoking has not been a problem until last night. About 40 people in the observation bar were enjoying the Norwegian fjords when a couple came in and lit up. Within 3 minutes the smell of cigarette smoke permeated the entire room. The bar started to clear out immediately leaving the smokers wondering where everyone was going. The piano player lost most of his audience as the smoke smell reached the starboard side of the room. Several,people out the the hall were complaining to any member of the staff they encounterd.I complained to one officer who replied "it's too cold for them to smoke outside". It's a shame that two people can be allowed to inconvenience twenty and that Seabourn corporate is willing to overlook it. I guess the Observation Bar is off limits for us after 8 for the remainder of the cruise.

Just wondering...

What would Seabourn's Seattle management have to say if passengers posted signs outside all the ships' Observation Bars saying "Out of courtesy to your fellow guests, please refrain from smoking inside the Observation Bar" with a subtext as "From your fellow passengers and not from Seabourn management"?

I doubt that any of the crew would mind although, of course, the hotel manager will probably be annoyed that he or she is an impossible place.

What place is that? It's where he or she aims to fulfill passenger requests and demands of the vast majority of the guests, while being expected to deliver on the (rather thoughtless, IMO) current smoking policy.