Smoking onboard

jakes47

That is why we always use the Club and never go to the OB:)

Yes, so do we, to avoid getting annoyed. We do like the Club, but sometimes we would have preferred the different musician in the OB.

I can't remember what happened when we went through the lovely Trollfjord on Quest a couple of years ago, when everyone was up in the OB for the lovely views. Either it was over before 8, or perhaps they actually forbade smoking at that time. Not sure.

The time of after 8 allowed the well known lady smoker who virtually lived on the ships to have a ciggy before dinner, and then go down about 8.20 before returning after dinner.:(

Keep those posts coming - even though I hate hearing about the smoking. Ugh. My least fav part of Seabourn. Even though we all vociferously make our preferences known, they choose to turn a blind eye (and nose). I hope it improves for you.

Can you find out who will be the CD after the re-fit? I asked the home office but they don't know (maybe we won't have one???) Wondering if they are doing anything else to the ship in the week it will be in drydock?

Enjoy your crossing & I hope your weather is wonderful. Save some wine for us.

Just a naughty thought - assuming smokers read this stuff to see how much they will be able to puff; we did a Regent cruise last summer, and they have a dedicated lounge, by a bar, plus a large comfortable area on the pool deck for smokers. OK, no smoking on verandas, as their cheerleader will quickly tell us, but otherwise it was, to me, more smoker friendly than SB.

Try it, smoking chaps!

Jenidallas, I am so sorry the smoking is having a negative impact on your cruise -- especially as you don't strike me as a chronic complainer. I much prefer the OB to the. Club after dinner so this really strikes home. We all know as smoking is still allowed on SB it is a possibility that it will impact our cruises -- so far we have been lucky. Another vote for SB to finally change this policy!. PLEASE!

The time of after 8 allowed the well known lady smoker who virtually lived on the ships to have a ciggy before dinner, and then go down about 8.20 before returning after dinner.:(

This lady (Mrs. W.) hasn't been on Seabourn for a year or longer. Apparently she's too frail to travel and has been home-bound.

Jenidallas, I am so sorry the smoking is having a negative impact on your cruise -- especially as you don't strike me as a chronic complainer. I much prefer the OB to the. Club after dinner so this really strikes home. We all know as smoking is still allowed on SB it is a possibility that it will impact our cruises -- so far we have been lucky. Another vote for SB to finally change this policy!. PLEASE!

I am definitely not a habitual complainer. Smoking generally isn't an issue I get sticky about either as I have a couple of regular travel companions that enjoy an evening cigarette occasionally although I don't partake myself. I sat outside Seabourn Square on the aft deck yesterday catching up on some work and I was joined by both a pipe smoker and a cigar smoker and neither bothered me. I try to evaluate each situation on its merits and not my preconceived notions.

The Observation Bar issue is another matter - it clings to the air and furnishings leaving a musty residue for hours. If management is going to insist on slowing indoor smoking, they'd be wise to invest in improved ventilation systems.

Speaking of ventilation, some of the new craft cocktails involve elements like flamed orange peels (created with a wood match) and the odor from those tends to linger too creating a perception that something is burning. I worry about fire safety there, especially if staff become nose-blind to that smoldering scent. I prefer my Observation Bar to NOT smell like a campfire.

Spoke to Peppi (Hotman) about this. Although he does not have the authority to prevent smoking in the Observation Lounge, he has been speaking to individual smokers asking them to show restraint and think of others. Yesterday evening, the atmosphere, while not wholly smokeless, was far better.

Both Peppi and Heather have implied in separate conversations that the issue of smoking remains a hot topic at corporate and that they would not be surprised to see policy revisions going forward.

I have always loved a lot of things about Seabourn but in terms of smoking I think they have moved way to slow to address this. And the irony is they have had problems on other ships that are part of the Carnival Corporation.

I know sometime ago I posted on this thread about Seabourn being too slow on curtailing smoking on board ships. As I mentioned, in addition to it's impact on those who don't smoke and who are either allergic or don't want second hand smoke spoiling their cruise there is also a major issue and that is called a fire at sea.

Once again, Princess has encountered a fire on board one of their ships with it being reported that there were injuries and one death after having had a fire just a few years ago.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1576

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/11975460#.VwS7DWMSfHg

I believe it should be limited to a couple of areas on the ship.

Keith

In our increasingly litigious society and with all of the laws being brought into being in many countries to protect people from second hand smoke, what I can't understand, from an employee point of view is how members of staff can be forced to work in a room full of smoke - we as customers can escape but the staff cannot.

Since the 'smoking ban' was introduced in the UK there has been a significant decrease in heart attacks and strokes linked to second hand smoke so there is definitely a causal link.

I am very anti smoking having had several relatives die from smoking related diseases and being married to someone with asthma but also understand that nicotine is very addictive and it is not an easy thing to stop. I think most smokers now accept that they can't smoke inside in public spaces whilst on land and if provided with a comfortable, sheltered outside area, would sit there to smoke whilst onboard.

Shall we get a mass protest going? The odd letter dropping into Head Office is obviously not doing the trick so maybe we all need to write at the same time.

If they have enough people cruising with them under the current policy I don't think much will happen.

I will not cruise with them for one reason - smoking. If fewer and fewer people cruise with them the maybe the message will hit home. I just feel they believe they have a niche market of smokers.

I abhor smoking as I grew up in a family of smokers and now have lung problems (Bronchiectasis) although I have never smoked.

I avoid the Observation Lounge after 8 but it is difficult to avoid the smokers on the open decks, depending on the wind direction.

On our recent 21 day HK to HK cruise via Japan there was one poor soul, wrapped in a blanket against the cold, sucking on a cigarette, every morning from about 6 am, on Deck 9 Starboard (Sky Bar)

Every morning as I passed her, I would think " couldn't Seabourn install a nice, ventilated booth somewhere on the ship where smokers could be comfortable and not bother anyone else, such as you see in most modern airports"

Just a thought !

Spoke to Peppi (Hotman) about this. Although he does not have the authority to prevent smoking in the Observation Lounge, he has been speaking to individual smokers asking them to show restraint and think of others. Yesterday evening, the atmosphere, while not wholly smokeless, was far better.

Both Peppi and Heather have implied in separate conversations that the issue of smoking remains a hot topic at corporate and that they would not be surprised to see policy revisions going forward.

I had a similar conversation with Peppi and was encouraged to submit complaints in writing so he has some ammunition when working on getting the policy changed. I've discussed this with several other passengers who seem to feel the same way I do (which is to say: ban all indoor smoking)

I've always said that while I'm anti-smoking that the smoking in Seabourn public spaces does not bother me.

The smoke in the Observation Bar on Quest right now is intolerable. The staff are keeping the doors closed. Push them open and the stench hits you immediately. My eyes are watering despite not spotting anyone with a currently-lit cancer stick.

This is God-awful and needs to be banned.

We smelled it last night on the 6th level along with other passengers and met people coming from the 10th level who were driven out of the space by the smoke. Agree something needs to change.

Seabourn have a lovely picture of the new observation lounge on the encore on their blog with the opportunity to post comments. Might be an opportunity to suggest they don't contaminate it from the off?

Edited by Techno123

My husband and I have our first Seabourn cruise booked for February 2017 on the new ship. We have lots of cruises on the other luxury lines (Crystal, Regent and Silversea) but figured we should try Seabourn. The only thing that held us back was the smoking policy. We decided to go ahead, but I will tell you - if smoking is a real issue, this will be our first and last cruise on Seabourn.

Reading the comments about the new ship, it totally makes sense that they would go ahead and plan NOT to have smoking so prevalent on the new ship since they have an opportunity to provide specific smoking places for those who want/need to smoke. And I mean makes sense in the business sense....think about it. Regent was the first of the luxury to really cut back (e.g., no smoking on balconies) and then people who smoked moved over to Silversea (or at least some of the vocal ones on CC back then). Then Silversea tightened up and so did Crystal....so I guess all the smokers are now going to Seabourn? Well, if Seabourn decides to tighten up, then where are they going to go? NOWHERE is where. If there are no other luxury lines to move to, then the smokers will just have to suck it up and go to the designated smaller areas for smoking when they must have a cigarette and let the rest of us be able to breathe and enjoy the cruise. Seems simple to me. Why would Seabourn want to alienate so many current and potential cruisers just to make a few smokers happy?

Seabourn have a lovely picture of the new observation lounge on the encore on their blog with the opportunity to post comments. Might be an opportunity to suggest they don't contaminate it from the off?

Done. (Well, the comment is "awaiting moderation" -- it will be interesting to see if it gets released or gets deleted by management.) I hope other like-minded cruisers will do the same.

The link is here: http://bitly.com/1SlUWUv

Edited by cruiseej

We just returned from our second cruise on Odyssey. While we enjoyed most of our experiences onboard, we have been unfortunate to have had smokers near our cabin on both cruises. We were unable to use our veranda on many days on both cruises. We can avoid the other smoking areas on the ship but feel that we have been deprived of our right to enjoy our veranda when those nearby are smoking. We have booked one more Seabourn cruise in the fall. If smoking remains a problem on that cruise, there will be no more Seabourn for us. There are other cruise lines to choose from.