Travel insurance for work related cancellation?

Lialovestotravel

Hi, we have a cruise planned for April, but my job will not tell me til February if I can have that week off. The travel agency's insurance will not cover having to cancel for scheduling reasons. Does anyone have recommendations of an insurance that would cover not being able to get the time off? Thanks in advance for your help!

One such plan is Travel Insured's Worldwide Trip Protector (and Worldwide Trip Protector Plus). You can purchase these plans directly or through a broker for the same price; I recommend using a broker so that you have someone who understands what you are looking for and can explain the documentation requirements you will need to meet in the event of a claim. My favorite is Trip Insurance Store, but others like Insure My Trip or Squaremouth. Please do call and discuss your needs before you purchase so that you know what any insurance will and will not cover. Much more information is available on the Insurance Forum here on CC.

Edited by cherylandtk

We have had excellent experience with Travel Guard (Gold Policy) for decades. From their policy, regarding work cancel/interruption coverage:

(m) the Insured or Traveling Companion is required to work

during his/her scheduled Trip. He/she must provide proof

of requirement to work, such as a notarized statement

signed by an officer of his/her employer. In the situation of

self-employment, proof of self-employment and a

notarized statement confirming that the Insured is unable

to travel due to his or her job obligations will be required;

You can check them out at travelguard.com or give them a call at (800) 826-4919. Their reps are very knowledgeable and friendly, a true pleasure to do business with Travel Guard. :)

I am currently very unhappy with Travelguard (another story), but agree, they do offer this cancel for work coverage under some policies, if you can provide the required documentation. Unclear as to when this must be purchased.

Cancel for any reason with TG on a gold policy, must be purchased within 15 days of your initial deposit and will only cover 50% of your costs if you cancel your trip up to 48 hours of departure (for a NJ resident). .

Hi, we have a cruise planned for April, but my job will not tell me til February if I can have that week off. The travel agency's insurance will not cover having to cancel for scheduling reasons. Does anyone have recommendations of an insurance that would cover not being able to get the time off? Thanks in advance for your help!

At this time, since you know of the possibility, the risk is probably not insurable.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I did manage to find a Nationwide policy that will cover 70% of the cost if my job will not allow me to go. Almost all policies are within 14 days of the initial payment, but this one is ok up to the day of the final payment. Although I'm sure there are many good insurance companies out there, I have to rave that insuremytrip was extremely helpful! I talked to three different agents over the last couple of days and they were all knowledgeable, polite and really worked hard to find what I needed. I found their website and email info very easy to use also.

I have also learned that as an RN at a hospital it is extremely difficult to plan a vacation. I think in the future I will have to do last minute reservations, well really 60 days at the earliest. It is frustrating and all this angst of not knowing whether we can go or not is too tiring! Live and learn!

I certainly hope my vacation time will be approved next month and am glad I have the insurance just in case. Truly appreciate all the suggestions!

Edited by Lialovestotravel
spelling