I REALLY need your help!!

I've booked directly with RCCL several times and they are very nice and very fast. Never had a problem. Just the other day I had to call to get the insurance off since we didn't want it and it took a total of 3 minutes from when I called. And one of those minutes was trying to get me to come up with a special occasion, they really want me to have some kind off special occasion.

I've booked directly with RCCL several times and they are very nice and very fast. Never had a problem. Just the other day I had to call to get the insurance off since we didn't want it and it took a total of 3 minutes from when I called. And one of those minutes was trying to get me to come up with a special occasion, they really want me to have some kind off special occasion.

Booking direct with RCL was one of the easiest and most seamless vacations I have ever had. I couldn't have been more pleased with the results.

OP, please do not give up on Royal. It sounds like there may be multiple layers of problems. Sounds like you weren't happy with your original TA anyhow. So that may be one of the problems still, whether anyone wants to admit that or not. That booking is pretty much the property and domain of that TA that booked it.

Perhaps trying a booking directly with Royal may yield better results. I really couldn't have been more pleased with my direct booking. I was even able to switch staterooms twice with little to no trouble. And my entire booking was booked after the usual PIF deadline.

It won't be Disney, so remember to go into the experience with an open mind. Remember, it is different. Expect differences. Some may be to your liking and some not.

I just hope this initial bump in the road doesn't color your whole experience. I am sorry you had to deal with such an unpleasant introduction to Royal- no matter how that unpleasantness originated.

Have fun cruising.

When you decide to add a third party to the transaction, you have to take responsibility for any difficulties that arise from adding more complexity to the situation.

I don't understand how this situation is even difficult for RCI or for anyone to understand. My TA calls and has the cruise cancelled, simple! After 14 business days of nothing, I get involved! I don't know many people that would just sit back and twiddle their thumbs especially when the money that was supposed to be refunded in 3-7 business days and is no where to be found!? It's simple, RCI messed up and THEY admitted it to me today- finally, so I don't want to hear anymore that it was my fault, my TA's fault etc...

This money I was waiting to get back was hindering my entire vacation and I couldn't rebook anything until I received same! Had I known I would have waited this long, I never would have cancelled in the first place. I've cruised many many times, and have cancelled, made changes etc and never had an issue, so I never thought I would this time either, but I was clearly wrong!

It's like asking a friend to return an item to a store for you to get a refund, your friend does same, and no refund is made even though you have the proof the the transaction took place! Who's fault is that? Are you going to blame the friend, the original buyer or the store!? Clearly, if you have proof a transaction had transpired, and a refund was to be done, how is that anyone's fault but the store. People do makes mistakes (ie: RCI) and had RCI admitted from the start then I would have had more patience, but I was sick and tired listening to many tell me "I'm sorry, I don't know what's happening" when the truth is, they did, but didn't want to admit their mistake!

It's much easier for someone to judge, point fingers etc when it's not happening to you!

In the end, I have finally received my refund, but only cause I had to light a fire under their @$&$$.

When you decide to add a third party to the transaction, you have to take responsibility for any difficulties that arise from adding more complexity to the situation.

I assume you mean the problems with the TA to make the OP want to cancel? The cruise line confirmed the cancellation so the TA is not a 3rd party any longer.

I assume you mean the problems with the TA to make the OP want to cancel? The cruise line confirmed the cancellation so the TA is not a 3rd party any longer.

Thank-you!

Yes, the only reason I was cancelling was because of the problems I had with my TA. Had their been no problems, I would not have cancelled, but I had to! I had no choice. My friend who had the same TA and was on the same cruise with me also had her cruise cancelled by the same TA and received her refund in 2 days! So, clearly something wasn't adding up.

At first, I thought OMG, did my TA even cancel or did she say she did, but didn't, so I called RCI to confirm and was told "yes, your cruise was cancelled on Dec 19th and should have your refund in 3-7 business days"

I wish I could say it was a misscommunication, but this isn't the case...

I agree with you 100% on planning your own vacation! I've had nothing but problems since booking with a TA and not just with the cruise.

I've travelled a lot, and always do my own planning and plan on it from here on out!!

Thanks for your advice:)

We have cruised a lot of times and we NEVER use a Travel Agent. That is just an extra person in the middle to cause problems. We use the onboard reps to book then later select what we want and then do it on the web site and sometimes a call or two as well. Just a case of doing some research. The best travel agent is you once you have all the information needed. I sincerely hope you see that refund today also.

We have cruised a lot of times and we NEVER use a Travel Agent. That is just an extra person in the middle to cause problems. We use the onboard reps to book then later select what we want and then do it on the web site and sometimes a call or two as well. Just a case of doing some research. The best travel agent is you once you have all the information needed. I sincerely hope you see that refund today also.

Thank you! The refund came through, yay!

I usally always use a TA, but only for cruises. I always book my own land vacations myself.

Now, one positive thing has come out of all this...because I've waited so long to get my refund, I can now book a "guarantee balcony stateroom" and have saved myself a ton of money and have recouped what I would have lost because I've waited so long. I know the risks with a guarantee room, but I've booked them before on some of our "last min Disney cruises" and have never had a bad stateroom. Saving the money is worth it in my opinion!!

I'm booking the Freedom of the Seas cause I've decided to get my Disney fix pre RCI and do a short 3 night on the Magic, and then walk onto FOS right after! I get the best of both worlds:)

I wanted to try the Allure, but I've got that booked for Nov of this year! I hope I've made the right call!?

Thanks for your support:)

Well I feel for you, and hope to "read" that you will get good results.

Yes, I just booked with a TA (up to this point I have always used one), and do almost all my booking through emails. I won't go into all the details, but when she got the information in regard to our flight (I had put we were leaving on the 2nd, and coming back on the 9th), she seen the "9th" and thought that was the date we were leaving. If I had not looked at the guest copy that they had seen and seen the date, as well as the itinerary, OH My , I don't know what we would have done. She then told me it was a cheaper rate (probably because this itinerary was not going to San Juan), so thus, it cost more for us. We finally got it ironed out, but it was very expensive, no matter what.

I have never got (cruised many years) directly through the cruise line. I feel more comfortable with the TA, as they live close to me, and I can contact them for "emergencies, etc. "

So maybe the big black cloud over RCCL has disappeared??

We have several Disney cruisers on the RCCL boards, they seem to like it, but know the differences between the 2...changing paradigms is hard for most people...so glad you came out smelling like a rose!! Have a great cruise.

I still don't understand why your TA didn't just transfer the booking back to RCCL, no cancellation/no money would've needed to change hands. Just a simple form to be signed and you would've been in control of your own booking again. Keep that in mind if it ever happens again. Now you are more enlightened than you were before. I learn something new every day. I try to look at every negative experience as a teaching tool.

Bon Voyage:D

Edited by BecciBoo

Thank you! The refund came through, yay!

I usally always use a TA, but only for cruises. I always book my own land vacations myself.

Now, one positive thing has come out of all this...because I've waited so long to get my refund, I can now book a "guarantee balcony stateroom" and have saved myself a ton of money and have recouped what I would have lost because I've waited so long. I know the risks with a guarantee room, but I've booked them before on some of our "last min Disney cruises" and have never had a bad stateroom. Saving the money is worth it in my opinion!!

I'm booking the Freedom of the Seas cause I've decided to get my Disney fix pre RCI and do a short 3 night on the Magic, and then walk onto FOS right after! I get the best of both worlds:)

I wanted to try the Allure, but I've got that booked for Nov of this year! I hope I've made the right call!?

Thanks for your support:)

Great news.

Not sure if you are aware of this but once your cabin is assigned you may change it for any other cabin in the exact same category. For example you can hange a D3 for any other available D3.

I would check your my cruises account daily to see when it is assigned and possibly look to change cabins. On a positive note there really are not any bad balcony cabins on Freedom class ships.

Edit. You are just north of us.

I don't know if you have checked. Out this thread on Canadians buying OBC at a better rate. Unfortunately the rate has now gone up to 1.40 but it's still better than the bank at over 1.48

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2159570&page=108

Edited by Ourusualbeach

So maybe the big black cloud over RCCL has disappeared??

We have several Disney cruisers on the RCCL boards, they seem to like it, but know the differences between the 2...changing paradigms is hard for most people...so glad you came out smelling like a rose!! Have a great cruise.

I still don't understand why your TA didn't just transfer the booking back to RCCL, no cancellation/no money would've needed to change hands. Just a simple form to be signed and you would've been in control of your own booking again. Keep that in mind if it ever happens again. Now you are more enlightened than you were before. I learn something new every day. I try to look at every negative experience as a teaching tool.

Bon Voyage:D

I'm still a bit upset at the whole thing, but I will get over it! Seeing it's taken almost a month, I will need a few days to cool off lol

Yes, a neg (big one) has turned into a positive and I'm all for that!!

We love love love Disney, and we have nothing bad to say about it! Going to RCI has been difficult for us cause we don't do change very well, but I'm well aware that RCI isn't Disney and Disney isn't RCI, so I'm going into this with nothing but positive thoughts! My kids are excited to try all the new things RCI has that Disney does not.

As for my TA, she did call RCI and my booking was transferred to me so I could speak with RCI instead of having to go through my TA, but as for why the money just wasn't transferred over to another cruise, and minus my TA, I have no idea!? I didn't know you could do that to be honest cause I've always used a TA, but never had a problem. No one said anything from RCI, and had they, I would have done just that!?

Either way, I can close this chapter and move on:) I love planning, so now im in full planning mode for my vacation, finally! Great feeling:)

Great news.

Not sure if you are aware of this but once your cabin is assigned you may change it for any other cabin in the exact same category. For example you can hange a D3 for any other available D3.

I would check your my cruises account daily to see when it is assigned and possibly look to change cabins. On a positive note there really are not any bad balcony cabins on Freedom class ships.

Edit. You are just north of us.

I don't know if you have checked. Out this thread on Canadians buying OBC at a better rate. Unfortunately the rate has now gone up to 1.40 but it's still better than the bank at over 1.48

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2159570&page=108

I was not aware of that, and that's amazing, thank you! Well, that's one up with RCI cause with Disney, once you book a "guarantee stateroom" you cannot change it. You get what you get!! I will watch daily, thank you!

Oh the dollar, I want to cry!! It's killing me and that's why I went with a "new" TA for this booking was because the TA I alway use for Disney couldn't book my RCI cruise in Canadian dollars. We lose so much money when we book in US funds. 1.48 seriously!? Omg, that's brutal! I thought it was 1.41 and still, that's bad enough, but if his continues I won't be going anywhere where I have to pay in US dollars. Thanks for the heads up on all this!!!!

Btw, where are you from?

I was not aware of that, and that's amazing, thank you! Well, that's one up with RCI cause with Disney, once you book a "guarantee stateroom" you cannot change it. You get what you get!! I will watch daily, thank you!

Oh the dollar, I want to cry!! It's killing me and that's why I went with a "new" TA for this booking was because the TA I alway use for Disney couldn't book my RCI cruise in Canadian dollars. We lose so much money when we book in US funds. 1.48 seriously!? Omg, that's brutal! I thought it was 1.41 and still, that's bad enough, but if his continues I won't be going anywhere where I have to pay in US dollars. Thanks for the heads up on all this!!!!

Btw, where are you from?

Just south of Taunton in Oshawa.

No way!!!

I'm in Brookin on Montgomery Avenue! You're a hop, skip and a jump from me, too funny!

Have you been on Freedom of the Seas by chance? If so, is it good for me 8 and 6 yr old?

Freedom last Christmas. She's a great ship. Your kids will love it. Tons to do. We were also on the Liberty (sister ship) 3 times before that. I saw you are also looking at Aloure for next fall. We are on her at March break and just finished Ospasis this Christmas. That was our first time on Oasis class and WOW it was amazing.

Good TA's don't cause problems

You can still book onboard as you do now

You can't give yourself perks that can be in the hundreds of dollars

You can still do most things on the website booking with a TA

Freedom last Christmas. She's a great ship. Your kids will love it. Tons to do. We were also on the Liberty (sister ship) 3 times before that. I saw you are also looking at Aloure for next fall. We are on her at March break and just finished Ospasis this Christmas. That was our first time on Oasis class and WOW it was amazing.

I was actually booked for the Allure, but switched to FOS. I had considered doing the 3 night on the Disney Magic and then getting transportation to FLL, but that may be too much! I don't drive in places I'm "unfamiliar" with, so I would need to pay for someone to drive us.

I'm so glad you loved all the ships! Is the Oasis class your fav over FOS?

I was actually booked for the Allure, but switched to FOS. I had considered doing the 3 night on the Disney Magic and then getting transportation to FLL, but that may be too much! I don't drive in places I'm "unfamiliar" with, so I would need to pay for someone to drive us.

I'm so glad you loved all the ships! Is the Oasis class your fav over FOS?

It is now. Our kids are a bit older than yours (12 and 14). We started off cruising on the smaller ships (serenade, Jewel, Monarch and Majesty) when the kids were younger (8 and 10) and gradually worked our way up. They loved each class as we sailed on it. Looking back I wouldn't do anything different as every cruise or couple of cruises was a different ship with more and more stuff to do and explore.

I have friends that live close to you...just off Darius Harns Dr.

It is now. Our kids are a bit older than yours (12 and 14). We started off cruising on the smaller ships (serenade, Jewel, Monarch and Majesty) when the kids were younger (8 and 10) and gradually worked our way up. They loved each class as we sailed on it. Looking back I wouldn't do anything different as every cruise or couple of cruises was a different ship with more and more stuff to do and explore.

I have friends that live close to you...just off Darius Harns Dr.

Thank-you, so I haven't made a bad choice then...lol

With Disney, I prefer the classic shops over the Dream and Fantasy, so I thought starting with the Freedom and working out way like you have was a good idea.

Yep, I know that street! Small world!

*ships not shops lol

Edited by flinkerfrosch
Spelling error