When to buy?

Mirrasi

Usually I book cruises way in advance. This time money is an issue and am doing a last minute cruise. I am looking at the Freedom of the Seas 3/13 sailing. I noticed the price recently dropped a bit.

I believe it's past the PIF date, I am looking to go cheaper this time with just an inside room and I am not picky about where I end up. So I am wondering if things get cheaper if I wait a week or two out. I've never paid last minute before.

Do priced tend to drop more when it gets very close or does it not matter?

Honestly, even if it books up there's a couple other cruises I am looking at. I just prefer this one. This is during a spring break time so I am surprised to see prices going down and not up.

Anyway, just wanted to check before I hit the buy button. Thanks!

Well, if you believe RC's CEO, there will be no more last minute price drops. However others on the board have posted stories to the contrary.

Really it's about your own patience and flexibility. I know you said you have a couple of choices, but in general the question is: If the cruise you want sells out are you willing/able to do a different one? If not I'd grab it sooner for piece of mind. Then it is done and you can start planning.

One caution is that March 13 (in and around) is March Break for a lot of schools in Canada, and we like to get out of the cold and cruise, so if you get a good price now, I'd take it and not wait for potential price drops. But that's just me!

Determining future cruise pricing is like playing the stock market without the benefit of knowing any of the data. It could go up. It could go down. It could go up, then down, then up again. There no way of knowing when pricing changes will be made and which direction they will go.

Being a Spring Break cruise I would lean towards pricing going up as it gets closer, but then again I could be completely wrong.

Determining future cruise pricing is like playing the stock market without the benefit of knowing any of the data.

Ah, but there's the rub - you can get the data. All you need to do is look at the inventory left (on the RCI OK site), look at past prices and trends(at the fish site) and make an educated guess.:cool:

Anyway, just wanted to check before I hit the buy button. Thanks!

If available, you can put a 24 hr on that sailing and renew it once a day. RCI would hate you for it but it might work. On an inside, if there's cabins left and not selling, my guess is that the Z cat price will drop into the $600 but you need to be patient.

If available, you can put a 24 hr on that sailing and renew it once a day. RCI would hate you for it but it might work. On an inside, if there's cabins left and not selling, my guess is that the Z cat price will drop into the $600 but you need to be patient.

Unfortunately Royal has removed the ability to do the 24 hour holds for many ships and sailings. This is one of them.

I usually book pretty far ahead, but a few years ago I got a great deal (and an upgrade) when I booked "category" 3 weeks out. If you're still 2 months away and aren't picky about location, and as long as there are still several cabins available, it might be worth waiting a bit. But if it were me I'd check availability every day.

Ah, but there's the rub - you can get the data. All you need to do is look at the inventory left (on the RCI OK site), look at past prices and trends(at the fish site) and make an educated guess.:cool:

Help. I need more clues for the fish site.

Is there an easy way to track/follow which cruises are nearing or past the final payment dates? :)

Sailings 7 days or longer it's 75 days, holiday sailings are 90 days and the rest are 60 days - no real need to track/follow as long as you have a good calendar.:cool:

Edited by Biker19