Taxi to Maho Beach - St Maarten

Newbury newbie

When you exit the port gate there will be a taxi area. There will be taxis waiting to take you where ever you want to go. No problem and unless you happen to be there with one of the Behemoths of the Sea, the wait shouldn't be too bad.

It depends on how quickly you want to get there. You could catch a taxi -- can't miss the taxi stand as it's to the right after you exit the pier area. Last time there, it was around $8pp each way -- a big rip off.

If you're not in a real big hurry, you could either walk or take the water taxi to downtown Philipsburg and catch the local bus for a buck or two each way.

We took a standard taxi last March and it was cheap enough, Can not remember the exact price we paid but it wasn't much... the taxi driver also said he'd be there waiting for us to return at our requested time, which he was so all good! [emoji16]

We took a standard taxi last March and it was cheap enough, Can not remember the exact price we paid but it wasn't much... the taxi driver also said he'd be there waiting for us to return at our requested time, which he was so all good! [emoji16]

Just make sure you leave plenty of time to return to the ship, traffic jams are known. I've watched people running to get back on to the ship from my balcony and heard many announcements for the occupants of certain cabins to ring guest relations.

Also to note, I believe most of the bigger planes tend to come in after lunchtime so if there are a lot of ships in port (which there generally are) don't leave too late... As mentioned traffic can be bad!

When we went in March there was 8 ships in and 20,000+ pax, we left the beach about 1pm and the traffic was ok but the beach was very busy so might have been worse later I the day!

There is usually a conga line of 15-passenger vans at the port exit. Pack it with other guests and the price-per-person goes down.

DO NOT wait until what you think is the last minute to return. Our return leg was well over an hour in gridlock traffic. While we made it with time to spare, from our aft balcony, we saw some who didn't doing the Tourist Waddle as fast as their legs could go.

I need to get to Maho Beach in March :)

Should I try to arrange a private driver/tour on-line or would I be better off just waiting to walk off and using a taxi I presume I'll find waiting for business?

The taxi prices to the various destinations are posted at the taxi stand.

The price per person goes down the more passengers share a vehicle. So you can take a private taxi just for yourselves, or agree to share with others and pay less pp, as you wish.

No need to make arrangements in advance, unless there is a particular driver that you prefer.

We like to get off the ship around 10:30 am or so, and grab a taxi (shared, the destinations are posted outside of the port shopping centre), and head to Maho Beach. We ask the driver to drop us at the farthest point from the beach entrance where there's a beach bar with great grilled chicken and ribs. They have the airline arrival times posted on a surfboard jammed into the sand next to the entrance. We have a few drinks and a nice lunch and watch lots of planes come in, then grab a shared taxi back to the ship before the crowds. As others have said the traffic is awful as sail away approaches! Enjoy Maho Beach!

We like to get off the ship around 10:30 am or so' date=' and grab a taxi (shared, the destinations are posted outside of the port shopping centre), and head to Maho Beach. We ask the driver to drop us at the farthest point from the beach entrance where there's a beach bar with great grilled chicken and ribs. They have the airline arrival times posted on a surfboard jammed into the sand next to the entrance. We have a few drinks and a nice lunch and watch lots of planes come in, then grab a shared taxi back to the ship before the crowds. As others have said the traffic is awful as sail away approaches! Enjoy Maho Beach![/quote']

The Celebrity shore excursions list two options to see the planes land and take off at Maho Beach: one combined with beach time and the other is a catamaran ride into the bay to see the planes. Does anyone know of anyone that did either of these excursions and/or which would be preferable for good photos of the planes?

Just make sure you leave plenty of time to return to the ship, traffic jams are known. I've watched people running to get back on to the ship from my balcony and heard many announcements for the occupants of certain cabins to ring guest relations.

On EQ 1/2 , 13 folks not on excursions missed the ship..traffic was insane and maho is a distance away from port

Also to note, I believe most of the bigger planes tend to come in after lunchtime so if there are a lot of ships in port (which there generally are) don't leave too late... As mentioned traffic can be bad!

When we went in March there was 8 ships in and 20,000+ pax, we left the beach about 1pm and the traffic was ok but the beach was very busy so might have been worse later I the day!

OP, I just went looking and St. Maarten posts the ship schedules.

http://www.portofstmaarten.com/schedule.htm

You didn't say which date, but days with Celebrity ships seem to be sharing port with 4 other ships most days, including the Allure/Oasis on some dates. My point is, definitely plan for enough time on the way back to the ship!

OP, I just went looking and St. Maarten posts the ship schedules.

http://www.portofstmaarten.com/schedule.htm

You didn't say which date, but days with Celebrity ships seem to be sharing port with 4 other ships most days, including the Allure/Oasis on some dates. My point is, definitely plan for enough time on the way back to the ship!

We're there 6th April, along with Oasis. Could be busy!! :eek:

Day we were there, we were told there was an accident clogging roads etc. It is unpredictable,

we went on a ship's excursion to Bucaneer Beach..10 from EQ.....great day, not quite as far as Maho so no plane watching., although we did see them in flight. .

Our driver never came back for us..had to call port agent, etc. Finally, a new driver was sent....roads very congeseted but we got back ok & knew ship would not leave without us ( everyone also got 50% refund and apology )

The ones who actually missed the sailaway were not on ship's excursions,Heard only 2 made it on at the next port.

Next trip we plan on Maho..with ship's excursion

We also want to do this Newbury newbie & I believe we're on the same cruise as you!

Hi kikki21,

Yes you are, and I've seen you on the roll call. We're doing a B2B with the cruise before so we're a week closer than you!!

We'll be looking to keep the Maho Beach trip simple so if you want to possibly come in with us let us know. I did see if I could PM you but wasn't clever enough!! :confused::confused:

Phil (from Newbury)