First time cruiser, flight mistake/ FLL hotels?

geegeewhiz

i calmed down and went to look at the fees again, and i thought the same thing; even if i spend a little more, i wont be at $1300. one checked bag pp is $26 if i prepay; i usually only bring one big luggage for the whole fam if it is overweight i may bring a larger one and a smaller one for a total of $54. my kids have thes tiny disney suitcases which fit the free personal item dimensions so i will pack some things into 2 of those as well...

the next issue is the seating, when i told my hubby spirit he never heard of it and asked his friend about it who looked at him and said DONT DO IT! so my husband came to me and said what have u done??? how uncomfortable are the seats?? does anyone know? i tried to pay for the $24 seats but kids are not allowed in those seats due to faa reg(??) my husband wants to make sure the kids are comfortable during the flight...

It's not just $54! You aren't reading the bag fee chart correctly. You aren't a member of the $9 Fare Club are you ? It was $26 only if you booked directly on Spirit.com, were a member of the $9 Fare Club, and paid at the time of booking.

A checked bag was $35 only if you booked directly on spirit.com and paid for it at the time of booking. For you, if you pay before the online check in time, you're going to be charged $40 for each carry on. If you wait until check in, you'll pay $45.

Your checked bag fee now is $35 per bag. So, if each person has a carry on and a checked bag, and you pay this before online check in starts, it's $75 per person. That's $300 total in baggage fees for the Spirit flight if you pay before online check in time. If you wait, price only goes up.

You can't book those seats because they are exit row seats, and FAA regulations don't allow children of their age to sit there.

JetBlue will charge you $20 per bag if you pay at the airport kiosk or on line check in or $25 if you do it at the airport check in counter. So, add at least $80 to your ticket price.

Low cost carriers sometimes end up costing more then if you'd just booked a ticked on a major carrier. Add the baggage fees for Spirit and for JetBlue and any seat selection fees to your purchase price. Was this still a good bargain?

Edited by 6rugrats

It's not just $54! You aren't reading the bag fee chart correctly. You aren't a member of the $9 Fare Club are you ? It was $26 only if you booked directly on Spirit.com, were a member of the $9 Fare Club, and paid at the time of booking.

A checked bag was $35 only if you booked directly on spirit.com and paid for it at the time of booking. For you, if you pay before the online check in time, you're going to be charged $40 for each carry on. If you wait until check in, you'll pay $45.

Your checked bag fee now is $35 per bag. So, if each person has a carry on and a checked bag, and you pay this before online check in starts, it's $75 per person. That's $300 total in baggage fees for the Spirit flight if you pay before online check in time. If you wait, price only goes up.

You can't book those seats because they are exit row seats, and FAA regulations don't allow children of their age to sit there.

JetBlue will charge you $20 per bag if you pay at the airport kiosk or on line check in or $25 if you do it at the airport check in counter. So, add at least $80 to your ticket price.

Low cost carriers sometimes end up costing more then if you'd just booked a ticked on a major carrier. Add the baggage fees for Spirit and for JetBlue and any seat selection fees to your purchase price. Was this still a good bargain?

i was reading for the $9 club. i just went on to act like i was purchasing 2 checked bags and it will be $70 All together. they allow a personal item free pp so i will bring 2 of those and thats it. how will i be at $300? and with jet blue i will pay $40 all together... am i still missing something? im allocate about $200 for airline fees and this will still be lower than the other airline fares

By the way: Apparently there are now commercial products which include a dress where you pack it with clothing to look like a pretty ugly bubble dress, a variety of jackets and vests that turn into luggage, and some people actually just try layering all their clothing on for the flight.

@TravelinGert

I think I love you.

If you are looking to save money on the hotel in order to offset the extra baggage fees, check out the Rodeway Inn & Suites Ft Lauderdale Airport/Cruise Port hotel. They off a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel, and from the hotel to the cruise port. It's certainly not a 5 star hotel, so you won't be staying in luxury, but you will save money on transpiration for the four of you.

Good luck, and enjoy your vacation.

If this is the same Rodeway Inn I went to a few years ago (actually we were down the street but within walking distance) they have a sports bar and grill that is open late. There is NOTHING around that area for food, and if you have no car, that place is a lifesaver. The food wasn't too bad either!

Are you aware of SouthWest; 2 free checked bags pp? Tell the family one bag per person. Week or so before flight review everyones clothing etc. Do not let them pack until just before to prevent wrinkles Weigh bags.Have a great trip.

Edited by zoncom

Are you aware of SouthWest; 2 free checked bags pp? Tell the family one bag per person. Week or so before flight review everyones clothing etc. Do not let them pack until just before to prevent wrinkles Weigh bags.Have a great trip.

OP already booked tickets with Spirit & JetBlue.

I think her plan is to have two children bring all their things backed in a personal item, which would be small back pack or pursed size bag that fits in Spirit's sizer box (17"X13"X8" - note these sizes changed to the smaller dimensions for travel after 03/31/2016). If they are that size, including wheels and handles, there's no charge.

She says she is bringing just one large suitcase for the entire family that will be checked. Spirit allows a 40 pound checked bag (maximum of 62 linear inches) for $35 if paid for before online check in opens. If it's over weight or over sized, that's additional cost.

Hi all, I'm so glad I found this first timer forum! My family and I are going on our first cruise in April with RCL; I was trying to find great flight deals, so I booked round trip departing with Jet Blue and returning with Spirit. When I told my mom that I found a great deal, she informed me that Spirit charges more for carry on than checked luggage (??) now I'm panicking, because how am I supposed to pack for 2 kids (4 and 6) and 2 adults without paying so much money? I am so upset that I did not look into Spirit before I booked. I also planned on bringing back many souvenirs from the islands, I guess I cant now :mad:. Can anyone explain to me exactly how Spirit works? Is it worth even bringing on a carry-on??

Also, what are the best hotels to stay at the night before in the fort lauderdale area that is close to the port? I feel like i'm going to end up spending a fortune because of my lack of investigation :(...

You are asking an airline question. The best place to get that answered is not the first timer forum but rather the cruise air forum. Here is a link ...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128

OP already booked tickets with Spirit & JetBlue.

I think her plan is to have two children bring all their things backed in a personal item, which would be small back pack or pursed size bag that fits in Spirit's sizer box (17"X13"X8" - note these sizes changed to the smaller dimensions for travel after 03/31/2016). If they are that size, including wheels and handles, there's no charge.

She says she is bringing just one large suitcase for the entire family that will be checked. Spirit allows a 40 pound checked bag (maximum of 62 linear inches) for $35 if paid for before online check in opens. If it's over weight or over sized, that's additional cost.

yep thats exactly what im doing. im debating should i check 2 suitcases instead, for $70? i rather pay $70 than be charged the excessive weight fee (which has happened to us before!) kids clothing are small im rolling them up and fitting it into their personal item, and i measured it and it fits the new dimensions...

• 2 weeks later...
Embassy Suites on 17th doesn't have a free port shuttle, and the parking isn't cheap. When was the last time you stayed there?

Roz

I have never stayed there, but if you book through unitedairportparking.com, the per day rate is $4.75 per day with a free shuttle. I haven't found anywhere else as cheap. I'll be using them for the 3rd time next week.