From LAX to San Pedro a hotel near Ruby

ottmar

We are flying in from Cleveland to LAX the day before a cruise on the Ruby and wonder what hotel we should book for the night before the cruise that will shuttle us to the cruise dock .

Do we need to take a taxi or how do folks get to the ship from the airport..

Any help is appreciated...we cruise on March 24...

....Ott

We are flying in from Cleveland to LAX the day before a cruise on the Ruby and wonder what hotel we should book for the night before the cruise that will shuttle us to the cruise dock .

....Ott

There is the Doubletree and the Crown Plaza in San Pedro.

After staying at both we now stay on Long Beach.

We just did not care for them.

Anyway a cab to San Pedro runs about $60 for up to 4

Super shuttle or Prime Time Shuttle is about $17pp.

These options are available right outside the door to baggage claim.

We used to make a res for the shuttles but gave up, because when we got there they never had a record. You can just walk up anyway.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

....Ott

I've always stayed at the Crown Plaza and I've always booked through Priceline for the best deal. The port is right across the street and the hotel does offer a shuttle.

I've always booked a shuttle from LAX to the hotel. It's been a while so I'm sorry I can't tell you who I used or how much it was.

You can find information on how to bid on Priceline as well as LAX shuttle services in the North American Home Ports section under west coast departures.

Best of luck!

....Ott

From LAX to San Pedro take one of the shuttle services like Prime time or Super Shuttle or a taxi or Uber.

There are 3 hotels in San Pedro near the pier that provide shuttle service to the ship. The Double Tree is between 1 and 2 miles away. The Crown Plaza is just a few blocks from the waterfront and walking distance to restaurants. Both of these are medium priced. The Best Western Sunrise is a lower priced hotel right across the street from the water and also within walking distance to restaurants.

Basically you decide whether to stay at a hotel near the airport or near the cruise terminal. It doesn't make a lot of difference as you can do a complimentary shuttle either from airport to hotel or cruise area hotel to cruise terminal....and so you need a paid shuttle from the hotel area to the cruise area. It all works out the same.

Based on that, I'd suggest the Doubletree in San Pedro. It is clean, safe, good people, and great chocolate chip cookies at check in.

In December we cruised out of San Pedro. Flew into LAX from South Florida the night before. Did extensive research for a hotel. Ended up booking The Custom Hotel near LAX for around $135. Since we were arriving late we wanted to be closer to a hotel rather than closer to the port.

We wanted a hotel that was convenient to a grocery store. This hotel is located next to a Ralphs Grocery store (large west coast chain store). The hotel was perfect for our needs including a complimentary shuttle from and to the airport.

Bought all our "supplies" the next morning. The hotel shuttled us back to the airport where we took Super Shuttle down to the cruise port.

Also, the hotel is off the main "drag" of all the other airport hotels so to us it seemed a little quieter. This hotel is marketed as a boutique European style hotel.

done this a couple of times...stayed at Radisson by the airport..free shuttle

we stayed a coupld extra days the one trip and did a tour that picked up at the hotel as well as there is a Manhattan Beach shuttle that picks up in front of the hotel..takes you to the beach and a mall....think it was a couple bucks

not much in the area other than hotel restaurants and a subway but close to airport

arranged super shuttle to pick us up at the hotel worked well

We stayed at the Doubletree and loved it..completely remodeled on our floor anyway. Put name on reservation list for shuttle for 10 o'clock when we checked in and it was only a few minutes from hotel. Got to see our ship come in that morning from our window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am avoiding all the worry and hassle of finding a hotel and arranging transportation. I booked the Princess hotel package which includes transportation from the airport to the Marriott Los Angeles Airport Hotel, a Princess representative at the hotel who can arrange tours during the stay and a transfer to the ship on embarkation day. It may not be the least expensive arrangement but it is stress free and that is what a vacation is supposed to be all about.

For me, I'd typically avoid those cruise line pre-cruise one night hotel deals. For one, they tend to be overpriced for what you get--an inconvenient hotel and a bus ride...but, more importantly, they tend to get you to the ship on THEIR preferred schedule...I like to get to the ship early...they like to bring you late...especially if they are still waiting for later air arrivals.

We're it me, I'd book the Crowne Plaza San Pedro. I'd get there either using SuperShuttle--if I was trying to keep costs down...or Execucar--if I was looking for a more efficient private car... There are lots of restaurants close walking distance to the Crowne Plaza...my favorite being the San Pedro Brewing Company...just a block west of the CP...but there are several others depending on what you want to eat--sea food, Mexican, Italian, lots of choices...

The trip from the CP to the cruise terminal is VERY short...I have walked it before...very easy if you have rolling luggage...a block east on 6th to Harbor Blvd, turn left ... And, a couple of blocks down Harbor and you are standing right across the parking lot from the terminals. The CP has, for a long time, provided a free shuttle to the pier though there have been reports of them instituting a nominal charge--like $5 per person...not a big deal...

If you stay in San Pedro, you can sleep in if you want and you can go to the pier whenever YOU want...

Good luck...

We used to make a res for the shuttles but gave up, because when we got there they never had a record. You can just walk up anyway.

Where did you stay in Long Beach? We have stayed at the Queen Mary before every cruise but thinking of trying another hotel. Thanks.

Where did you stay in Long Beach? We have stayed at the Queen Mary before every cruise but thinking of trying another hotel. Thanks.

Best hotels in Long Beach...in approximate order:

Hyatt Regency

Hyatt at the Pike

Renaissance

Westin

Maya Doubletree

Residence Inn Downtown

Hilton

The two Hyatts and the Renaissance put you smack in the middle of the Restaurant, Shopping and walking area...the Westin just outside, the Hilton a little farther outside. The Doubletree and Residence Inn put you across the channel nearer to the Queen Mary and the Carnival terminal--but also near a Passport free shuttle stop to take you back across the channel. There are shuttle stops on the Downtown side of the channel right next to the Renaissance and at the Aquarium and Shoreline Village from which you can catch a shuttle over to the QM if you want. From any of these hotels, it is 6-8 miles across the harbor to the World Cruise Center San Pedro, so you would need a taxi or Uber...

All of the above are fairly nice hotels...

There are a few lesser hotels a little to the East of the Westin--like the Best Western Convention Center--but the neighborhood starts deteriorating a little as you go in this direction and the restaurants and shuttle are a little less convenient. There are hotels further north in Long Beach--like another Best Western--but the neighborhoods in that direction get really shoddy...And there are some hotels clear on the other side of Long Beach--like the Golden Sails and the Current where the neighborhoods are nice, but you are nowhere near the tourist/shopping/restaurant district...and an additional several miles from San Pedro...

Good luck...

The Crowne Plaza, DoubleTree and Best Western Plus San Pedro Inn are all fine for just spending a night before a cruise.

If you want more in a hotel and things to do at night then look at Downtown Long Beach, especially in the Pine Ave area.

SuperShuttle and PrimeTime at LAX both have very bad reputations, maybe it is just because they are the biggest, but I've bad experiences with both personally.

I'd look at Zippy Shuttle or Karmel Shuttle before either PT or SS.

Thanks everybody for the information.

We do arrive late, our flight comes into LAX at 9:02 PM.

In light of that: is it feasible to try to find a way to get to the Crown Plaza or any other hotel in San Pedro or is it wiser to find one near the airport?

In light of that: is it feasible to try to find a way to get to the Crown Plaza or any other hotel in San Pedro or is it wiser to find one near the airport?

Shuttles and car services are still running (best to make reservations in advance though), and so are cabs. I would do that. One plus is that the traffic should be light and it won't take you long to get there.

Pick your poison.

Cleveland to LAX isn't too bad so you won't be too wiped out, but 9:02PM local is what, 11:02PM Ohio time?

The one nice thing about spending the night in San Pedro vs LAX is traffic should be as low as it gets in LA by the time you leave the airport.

The Crowne Plaza, DoubleTree and Best Western Plus San Pedro Inn are all fine for just spending a night before a cruise.

If you want more in a hotel and things to do at night then look at Downtown Long Beach, especially in the Pine Ave area.

SuperShuttle and PrimeTime at LAX both have very bad reputations, maybe it is just because they are the biggest, but I've bad experiences with both personally.

I'd look at Zippy Shuttle or Karmel Shuttle before either PT or SS.

We don't like The Crown Plaza or the Doubletree and would never stay at the Best Western.

We have used PT and SS countless times in LA and other then them not having our res once or twice we have never had an issue with them.

Our flight is direct from Cleveland to LAX and is just over five hour long and leaves Cleveland at 6:48 pm. We just need to put our heads down for the night, eat breakfast and head for the ship.

For simplicity and convenience given your requirements, I'd do Supershuttle and Crowne Plaza without a doubt.

For even greater simplicity, and about $50 more if there's two of you, I'd take a taxi to the Crowne Plaza.

Edited by jollyjones

I guess it's a personal choice...

If it were me, I'd still head straight to San Pedro...

It's not like you are going straight to bed either way...

You are going to get in, wait for your luggage to get off the carousel, go out to the curb and wait for some sort of a ride...either the hotel shuttle for whichever airport hotel you've chosen or for whatever shuttle, taxi, car service or whatever you've picked to get to San Pedro...and then you are going to have to check in at your hotel before you go to sleep...

The difference is that, with an airport hotel, your ride will be about five minutes...With a San Pedro hotel, at that hour, it will still be under a half an hour...

BUT, in the morning, if you stay at LAX, you will still have the longer ride to deal with --and maybe a little traffic...and you'll still be concerned with making sure you get up and get out in time...If you are already in San Pedro, you can sleep in late, you can relax, you won't have to deal with a ride...you can even walk to the port...or grab the hotel shuttle or even a cheap taxi...