Gala Night - sample outfit

PhDUnderTheSea

It's commercials in Canada for Wiser's whiskey. Uncompromising class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG20SkmnpFg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVy5VRnikJg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAryFIuRxmQ

:)

Well I guess in retrospect you wouldn't clap but you might gives points for artistic interpretation for the Leisure suit.

Thank you!

If schedule allows we may book a trip on Nieuw Amsterdam on short notice to the Caribbean. I was reading that Holland America has replaced Formal Nights with Gala Night in the MDR. To get away from the cold and in to warm weather I was thinking of outfits something along these lines. Is this sample permissible? Also, for anyone that has recently been, please share with me some of the Gala events we should be prepared for.

Best-

Steve

tommy_bahama_swordfish.jpg

If it were me, I'd ditch the sandals and go with some nice Topsiders and socks. That there is more appropriate for lunch on the pool deck.

It does seem as if HAL might not be a good fit for you. Only you can make that decision.

I believe the same question can be asked of you, if the HAL migration to a less formal venue, continues. Since formal outings are important to you and a few others posting on this thread.

I believe the same question can be asked of you, if the HAL migration to a less formal venue, continues. Since formal outings are important to you and a few others posting on this thread.

This may be true, unless the majority continue to honor the spirit of The Gala Night guidelines as opposed to the most minimum requirement.

This may be true, unless the majority continue to honor the spirit of The Gala Night guidelines as opposed to the most minimum requirement.

Hal put a nail in that coffin. I don't think pax can be "blamed" for that. I do dress "formally" but I see little point in that now.

If schedule allows we may book a trip on Nieuw Amsterdam on short notice to the Caribbean. I was reading that Holland America has replaced Formal Nights with Gala Night in the MDR. To get away from the cold and in to warm weather I was thinking of outfits something along these lines. Is this sample permissible? Also, for anyone that has recently been, please share with me some of the Gala events we should be prepared for.

Best-

Steve

We just got off the NA yesterday. We saw no one dressed casual on Gala Nights in the MDR or when we were in the Ocean Bar having pre-dinner drinks and seeing people heading to Dinner. The majority of men had either a Suit/Tie or a Sports Coat/Dess Slacks, Shirt and tie. Only saw a handful of tuxes.

If anyone was dressed in a Bahama shirt or just a Collared Pullover, we didn't see them.

Also, at the Show on Gala Nights the majority were still dressed for the night. The MDR had the Chair Covers on both Gala Nights, too.

We had a friend who was sailing on HAL for the first time and she kept saying how dressed up people get for dinner. She even thought this on Casual Nights compared to NCL and Carnival that she had sailed.

Casual Nights was another story where people were more dressed down than on the longer cruise Itineraries which were our most recent cruises.

If you book, enjoy! Great ship, Staff and Crew!

We just got off the NA yesterday. We saw no one dressed casual on Gala Nights in the MDR or when we were in the Ocean Bar having pre-dinner drinks and seeing people heading to Dinner. The majority of men had either a Suit/Tie or a Sports Coat/Dess Slacks, Shirt and tie. Only saw a handful of tuxes.

If anyone was dressed in a Bahama shirt or just a Collared Pullover, we didn't see them.

Also, at the Show on Gala Nights the majority were still dressed for the night. The MDR had the Chair Covers on both Gala Nights, too.

We had a friend who was sailing on HAL for the first time and she kept saying how dressed up people get for dinner. She even thought this on Casual Nights compared to NCL and Carnival that she had sailed.

Casual Nights was another story where people were more dressed down than on the longer cruise Itineraries which were our most recent cruises.

If you book, enjoy! Great ship, Staff and Crew!

No. This can't be. Everyone on HAL prefers dressing as close to the minimum as possible. Khakis and luau shirts are practically everywhere. You must be mistaken. ( where is the sarcasm font?)

No. This can't be. Everyone on HAL prefers dressing as close to the minimum as possible. Khakis and luau shirts are practically everywhere. You must be mistaken. ( where is the sarcasm font?)

Nope, not everyone. But for some, collared shirt and slacks is desired and allowed. And all the pontificating and sarcasm won't change anyone.

When 'The Spirit of The Gala Night Guidelines' shows up for dinner, he will be dressed like Steve.

If you are on a cruise out of Florida, you probably want to leave the tiny pet sailfish (by the person's right foot in the photo) at home. The sailfish is Florida's official state saltwater fish. It might be okay to keep them as one would keep a dachshund or miniature chihuahua where you're from, but it's definitely not cool to turn majestic sea creatures into carpet critters

Nope, not everyone. But for some, collared shirt and slacks is desired and allowed. And all the pontificating and sarcasm won't change anyone.

No one is questioning what is allowed. No one is questioning what is desired. by some. But this Board should be used to give accurate information. Too often people mischaracterize what is happening to support their own point of view and agenda. If I were new to HAL. I would like to know both the policy and the practice - what the requirements are and what the reality is.

I agree. Ater all, they're inviting us to "dress to impress."

Then they shouldn't have changed the dress suggestions in that case. I personally don't think the picture the op posted is dressing to impress. Hal opened the gate to casual. They really should choose to own it but it typical fashion they don't.

Edited by cruz chic

Then they shouldn't have changed the dress suggestions in that case. I personally don't think the picture the op posted is dressing to impress. Hal opened the gate to casual. They really should choose to own it but it typical fashion they don't.

I agree. (I was trying to be sarcastic, but now it's too late to add the eye roll guy) "Formal" night has been slipping for years. They're giving in, but don't want to admit it.

We just went to a wedding that was black-tie. It was a very special evening, worth dressing up for. I'm sometimes tempted to pack the tux and the gowns for HAL, but HAL does nothing to make the evening special. There's nothing to do other than dinner. The production shows on our upcoming cruise don't appeal to me (we've seen one of the 3 times and the other is not my taste at all), and with no Neptunes in the Ocean bar there isn't even somewhere I want to go for an after-dinner drink. I know people say to do it for yourself, and what others wear doesn't matter. But ambiance does matter to me, and HAL isn't providing an ambiance worth our most formal clothes. So I'm giving in, too. Suit or sport coat for DH, long skirt and beaded tops for me.

Did HAL change the suggested dress? It does not look that way.

Reading the FAQ they seem to suggest "dress to impress" and other make other suggestions of dressy attire. However, They did change the minimum requirements. But many only read the requirement and somehow miss the suggestion.

Were on the Nieuw Amsterdam in December 2015 and the thing I can say is that men on all nights (including Gala Nights) wore long pants. Very few had jackets and ties, hardly any tuxes. Collared shirts, golf shirts, and Hawaiian shirts were seen. So wear what you want and be comfortable. That's how my DH did it.

Dogo88: See you on the Maasdam in March. Haven't been on this small of a ship but looking forward to it.

I agree. (I was trying to be sarcastic, but now it's too late to add the eye roll guy) "Formal" night has been slipping for years. They're giving in, but don't want to admit it.

We just went to a wedding that was black-tie. It was a very special evening, worth dressing up for. I'm sometimes tempted to pack the tux and the gowns for HAL, but HAL does nothing to make the evening special. There's nothing to do other than dinner. The production shows on our upcoming cruise don't appeal to me (we've seen one of the 3 times and the other is not my taste at all), and with no Neptunes in the Ocean bar there isn't even somewhere I want to go for an after-dinner drink. I know people say to do it for yourself, and what others wear doesn't matter. But ambiance does matter to me, and HAL isn't providing an ambiance worth our most formal clothes. So I'm giving in, too. Suit or sport coat for DH, long skirt and beaded tops for me.

That's the way I feel. I'm not motivated to dress super fancy. For my next cruise I won't be going to the MDR for the first night even though what I'll wear would be considered "formal" it won't be for me. I'd be quite happy if Hal cuts the gala down to 2 nights on my 15 day cruise but I suspect it will be 3.

Were on the Nieuw Amsterdam in December 2015 and the thing I can say is that men on all nights (including Gala Nights) wore long pants. Very few had jackets and ties, hardly any tuxes. Collared shirts, golf shirts, and Hawaiian shirts were seen. So wear what you want and be comfortable. That's how my DH did it.

Dogo88: See you on the Maasdam in March. Haven't been on this small of a ship but looking forward to it.

We were on the Maasdam many years ago when formal was required. Our March cruise was on the Ryndam which is similar to the Maasdam. We felt it was a bit small but we had a great time. And like you mentioned above. On the Gala nights it wasn't a big deal as it was years ago.

So for March I brought a jacket and tie. I actually felt out of place. The number of suits was very small. But for the October cruise on the Oosterdam there were more suites and tuxs. So each cruise is different.

For the March one it's no jackets or suits. And when we told our friends who are coming along they were so happy and very tired of schlepping the extra "stuff" for the formal nights.

Dan

If you are on a cruise out of Florida, you probably want to leave the tiny pet sailfish (by the person's right foot in the photo) at home. The sailfish is Florida's official state saltwater fish. It might be okay to keep them as one would keep a dachshund or miniature chihuahua where you're from, but it's definitely not cool to turn majestic sea creatures into carpet critters

This gave me a good chuckle. I like your sense of humor.

But that is my emotional support fish...

Best-

Steve

Sure they do. Read what HAL publishes about Gala night. Read more than the one sentence about the minimum.

Okay, I took your advice and did read the following:

"Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests

dress to impress for special events on board, including a five course

gourmet dinner in the Dining Room"

So I asked here what special events? I got a chorus of "Huh? What? Nothing. There's not any special events." Therefore I can conclude what HAL says is marketing double speak. Sounds great, but mostly hot air.

But, you have experience, so if I am incorrect, please be certain to let me know. I won't take into account your level of academic study so don't be shy.

Best-

Steve

***I am not this young or handsome; sorry ladies.

Seems this is acceptable by the company

1984-Cubavera-Linen-Blend-Embroidered-Shirt-1.jpg

But this is somehow preferred for the viewing pleasure of others? I mean, it's a jacket, it's a tie, and it certainly is impressive! (though in what way is for you to decide)

enhanced-buzz-5206-1337706411-3.jpg

Best-

Steve