If you could choose one beef entree - which would it be (list included for reference)

batt01

(maybe we can at least agree there's no way it's actually prime graded)?,

Congratulations - you caught me making a minor terminology mistake that nobody outside of the meat processing world knows or cares about. I bet if you look hard enough, you can even find a comma I should have used but didn't.

I agree there's no way that "prime" rib is prime:)

The steers sure know the difference:D

I prefer the tenderloin and the prime rib. I've almost always had prime rib that was tender and had good flavor, especially when enhanced with horseradish. It could stand to be cut a little thicker, though.

I've had amazingly bad luck with the strip steaks. Every time I've tried one when nothing else looked good, it's been tough, even hard to cut.

I do hope the childish bickering is over and done with. It's amazing how the most innocuous posts can generate pawing and snorting by the male species.

I like my red meat rare-med rare, therefor I avoid anything on the ship that requires a specific temperature. It's next to impossible to get it right.

Occasionally I'll ask if they can bring me the rarest cut of prime rib they can find and show it to me and if it's rare enough I'll take it but unless you like your steaks at least medium, it's really hard for them.

Aged Manhatten stip steak - best steak!!!

Ordered medium rare - had it 6 out of 7 nights!

WONDERFUL!!!

eNJOY!

one night had the roast beef instead, it was ok, but lots of fat, and it became very cold very soon, and was not as good as my steak nights!

I opted for the porterhouse in chops one night , bit of an extra charge , but OMG well worth it , have never had a better steak , when ordering I requested seasoned with just salt and pepper, don't need all the garlic seasoning , let the steak do the talking

It's not from where the meat comes from but, it's the grading of the beef. A 6.99 per pound tenderloin from Walmart is in no way going to be a prime piece of meat. All tenderloins are tenderloins, either select, choice, or prime. That is what drives the quality and price. On top of that you can ad aging, either dry or wet, and the length of time that it is aged. The only aging that the beef on a cruise ship gets is the amount of time it spends in the freezer. A true prime rib, is one that is graded as prime. Anything other than that is just a rib roast. There is no way that a mass market cruise line is serving prime anything in the MDR. I'm not saying it bad, just not prime. My personal opinion is the "prime rib" is pre-cooked and then frozen and delivered to the ship. I just don't see a cruise ship taking the time to properly slow roast a few hundred rib roasts to serve in an evening.roast.jpg.cddcfe1c3a101abc3b36e8b0611409e8.jpg

This is my Christmas Eve dinner, I've never had a piece of prime rib look like that in the MDR. For better consistency order the fillet from Chops, the up-charge is usually worth it. The food in the MDR is precooked and kept warm, much like a banquet facility. The fillet from Chops is cooked to order, therefore it takes a little longer to be served.

IMG_0058.jpg.5396da8607baddece77ab9142acbfa2a.jpg

Feel free to provide the clarity to your statement the makes my cost/availability comparison to "prime" rib (maybe we can at least agree there's no way it's actually prime graded)?, since they carve up that dish for thousands of people as well.

It's true that the prime rib is almost certainly not USDA Prime grade. I think it's only something like 2% of the beef that's sold that gets the Prime rating, and most of that goes to high-end restaurants and markets. You generally won't even find Prime grade available at most local groceries.

But "Prime Rib" is just a method of cooking a rib roast. The name has nothing to do with the USDA grading of the beef.

I can't believe not a single person has said Veal Oscar! Granted I haven't had it on Royal yet' date=' but it is one of my favorite dishes. Otherwise you can't go wrong with the carved filet of beef tenderloin.[/quote']

If I were eating at one of my local restaurants, I would have chosen Veal Oscar. I think OP was talking about aboard ship. That's how we responded, and the choices that were made should give you an idea of the quality of the various menu items.

FYI: They also will have lamb one or two nights. I like it with mint jelly. It is usually very good.

Back to the beef: Sometimes the evening buffet will have "minute steaks" -- and these are usually pretty good, served with a choice of sauces such as bearnaise.

The MDR used to serve a good steak the final night on a 7-day cruise on the old menu, but, alas, no more.

Edited by Jimnbigd