Mariner fare discounts

Max2003

I have noticed recently that the "special mariner pricing" has become fairly meager. When I scanned the European cruises in 2016 I didn't see one price in green when signed in. Am I mistaken or could it be that HAL's new management is deemphasizing the Mariner Program. It seems strange because that benefit was so prevalent in the past. I can't blame them if the new marketing emphasis is on the newer younger cruiser, since they tend to have higher on-board spending.

Check the Preferences section on your account online to ensure the appropriate boxes for destinations are checked. I've had to call the Mariner Society a few times, as well, if I've noticed I wasn't receiving emails or mail or those 'prices in green'. If you've recently sailed or have a booking, they can override the notation so you can keep receiving specials (but it won't impact your current booking, ie, you won't see any more specials for your booking). Also, some have inadvertently clicked "opt out" on the pop ups. I did this once because I was already receiving specials and a call to the Mariner Society fixed it.

All the Best!

On occasion the "You may qualify for special pricing. Please login or register" message would result in a substituted lower price in a green script after logging in. Has anyone seen that recently or have the green pixels on my monitor burned out.:)

On occasion the "You may qualify for special pricing. Please login or register" message would result in a substituted lower price in a green script after logging in. Has anyone seen that recently or have the green pixels on my monitor burned out.:)

I have seen that comment and still not found a difference whether or not logged in. Maybe it's more to do with the region in which one resides. I'm happy to hear that others do get a reduced rate.

I also, when not booked for a cruise, receive flash sale emails and snail mail notices. As I currently am booked for cruises up to Feb/17, I won't be getting any flash emails for a while.

In my experience, I have seen the best 'prices in green' for European summer sailings within 2-3 months of sailing (these are significantly lower than discounts elsewhere). I noticed that as time got closer last summer, the prices might go up instead of down, based on availability.

Further out of this window there are fewer options, but currently I see a few for Europe 'in green' (not across the board, it might be a cabin category here or there).

Pretty much have to say I've never seen any Mariner price advantage for the cruises we've been interested in taking. Call it bad timing or luck of the draw or whatever but the vast majority of our cruises has been during high season going to high demand destinations. In 20+ years of cruising I'd say we've had way more cruise go up in price versus being hit with Mariner discounts or last minute sales.

When I shop for cruises on the HAL website, I take note of the prices, but don't take them too seriously. My travel agent always gives me a lower price. She does know that we are Mariners, and tells us that we get a better price because of that, but I don't know what the difference is, because the price she gives us includes all possible discounts.

We go through our travel agent, as well, because they offer extra perks and rebates. Like Tom O said, they should have access to the rates tied to one's Mariner #. Even if I see something lower "in green" on the HAL site, the TA can still make the booking (or you can have it transferred). As others have noted, it can be hit or miss. (There have even been times where my husband's account will show a significantly different price than on my account, although we have the same booking history). At times, I've done far better on flash fares. But the last few years for me, the prices "in green" have been in the hundreds of dollars lower than the lowest prices I have seen elsewhere (when offered).

It did seem like there were fewer options last year, though, as the OP has observed.

We recently snagged an amazing rate (at least 40% off) on a longer Prinsendam cruise by using our Mariner number. But this was not available on the HAL site and we only found the deal through one of our favorite cruise agencies. What was interesting is that we did not see a similar fare (not even close) when we checked several other of our favorite cruise agencies. Bottom line is that one should build their own network of reputable online agencies and take a few minutes to check prices on each one for any particular cruise. The savings can sometimes be quite significant (in our recent case we are talking about thousands of dollars).

Hank

I am seeing lots of those "green" pricings, mostly on cruises 1 - 3 months out.

Seems to depend on what cruises are selling and which are not, and categories matter. Just marketing.

I have been able to get the pricing for my TA's package deals (cruise, tax, air, transfers, OBC or other extras) lowered because of those green pricings.

Edited by SilvertoGold

I am booked on one of those "green pricing" cruises for next fall. Fabulous deal, $750 off the regular pricing, up to 10% off selected shore excursions - and I have already booked 2 excursions I wanted, one at 5% off, the other at 10% off. I rarely take ship excursions, but as these are lengthy ones far from port, I thought it best to go with the ship, and to take advantage of a bit of savings.

I am also getting some perks from my TA, however this discounted HAL pricing was better than what my TA could offer. Needless to say I grabbed it up.

Carol

Edited by CJcruzer