Crown jan18 boarding delayed due to norovirus

victory2020

I think the US Govt/Center for Disease Control should impound this ship while

in a US port and FORCE Princess to get rid of this recurring scrouge once and for all. The ship should NOT be allowed to sail to/from any US port until it has been officially certified with a "clean bill of health"..

Really? Its gets a clean bill of health each time they go through these extra cleaning measures. Do you think that this is not monitored by any gov't agency and they clean at will and sail at will? Does not work that way.

How about the passengers that bring on the virus each cruise?

I don't want to add to any speculation, but do want to say that San Pedro has TONS of interesting things to do. There is the Iowa to explore, a maritime museum, Ports of Call, and a free trolley taking everyone around. I wouldn't stay in the airport. Go to the terminal, drop off your luggage, and enjoy your day. No need to stand outside in a line, either. Go and explore and enjoy.

http://www.sanpedro.com/

Oh my gosh; that ship is plagued by noro!! I was literally thinking his week how cool that the Crown has gone such a long stretch of time without noro, and then bam, here we go again! I really wonder if there's something in the pipes or ventilation that's flawed. OP, I sincerely hope you have a healthy, fun cruise!!

Not sure I understand. Are you suggesting that the OP leave their luggage in baggage claim ? Once you pickup your luggage I don't think you can get back into the part of the airport terminal that has the food court. I certainly would not want to leave my bags in baggage claim any longer then possible.

No, you're correct, once you get your luggage you can not return to the terminal. However, LAX is my home airport, and I have waited with my friend during her layovers several times in the Delta lounge before exiting and claiming my bags. I can't speak for other airlines, but it has always been waiting for me in the Delta office within the bag claim area when I leave. The airport would love for you to stay longer to spend more money within their shops/lounges, so I don't think they have any care about this. Never have I encountered any problem!

LAX is my home airport also. I do not recall any food services outside of security (except for revolving restaurant). Keep in mind that LAX baggage claim has no one monitoring your bags. Anyone can pick up any bag and walk right out the door. I've never had it happen to me, but I am there before the luggage starts down the carousel.

No, you're correct, once you get your luggage you can not return to the terminal. However, LAX is my home airport, and I have waited with my friend during her layovers several times in the Delta lounge before exiting and claiming my bags. I can't speak for other airlines, but it has always been waiting for me in the Delta office within the bag claim area when I leave. The airport would love for you to stay longer to spend more money within their shops/lounges, so I don't think they have any care about this. Never have I encountered any problem!

Problem is, neither would the airport care if, for example, someone else saw your luggage go around and around the carousel and takes a fancy to it, and decides to lift it. There is no one who checks to see that the right person gets their own luggage there (at least the times I have flown into LAX.) I would never leave my luggage going around and around for an extended period in hopes that an airline employee will be the one to pick it up, for this reason. And while it is nice that you never have had a problem doing so, I think it is dangerous to advise that others do so.

Again, a passenger leaving from San Pedro can always drop their luggage at the terminal, even when departure is delayed due to deep cleaning, then enjoy all the attractions that San Pedro offers. I have had delayed boarding a couple of times there (twice when boarding the Crown) and have found that they are happy to take luggage early. Last thing terminal authorities want is people sitting around the terminal on their stacks of luggage, LOL.

Problem is, neither would the airport care if, for example, someone else saw your luggage go around and around the carousel and takes a fancy to it, and decides to lift it. There is no one who checks to see that the right person gets their own luggage there (at least the times I have flown into LAX.) I would never leave my luggage going around and around for an extended period in hopes that an airline employee will be the one to pick it up, for this reason. And while it is nice that you never have had a problem doing so, I think it is dangerous to advise that others do so.

Again, a passenger leaving from San Pedro can always drop their luggage at the terminal, even when departure is delayed due to deep cleaning, then enjoy all the attractions that San Pedro offers. I have had delayed boarding a couple of times there (twice when boarding the Crown) and have found that they are happy to take luggage early. Last thing terminal authorities want is people sitting around the terminal on their stacks of luggage, LOL.

Since you have experience with delayed boarding on the Crown when did you eventually get onboard? Did they do open seating for dinner? When was the lifeboat drill?

I don't want to add to any speculation, but do want to say that San Pedro has TONS of interesting things to do. There is the Iowa to explore, a maritime museum, Ports of Call, and a free trolley taking everyone around. I wouldn't stay in the airport. Go to the terminal, drop off your luggage, and enjoy your day. No need to stand outside in a line, either. Go and explore and enjoy.

http://www.sanpedro.com/

I second this. I worked on a ship and was in San Pedro every week for months and they have some great restaurants walkable, or using the free trolley, you can go to after dropping your bags off. When you head back out the main gate make a LEFT toward town and they are just a few blocks away. :D

Since you have experience with delayed boarding on the Crown when did you eventually get onboard? Did they do open seating for dinner? When was the lifeboat drill?

Once, we boarded mid afternoon, once early evening. For the latter, dinner was open seating for all but many missed their dinner due to life boar drill which was at dinner time. I remember something like boarding at 5:30 and going straight to dinner. Those who boarded later didn't get dinner in the MDR because of lifeboat drill. They had to eat on the Lido.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

I second this. I worked on a ship and was in San Pedro every week for months and they have some great restaurants walkable, or using the free trolley, you can go to after dropping your bags off. When you head back out the main gate make a LEFT toward town and they are just a few blocks away. :D

Is there anywhere near the port, using the trolley or walking, that you can buy soft drinks to take on board with you?

Is there anywhere near the port, using the trolley or walking, that you can buy soft drinks to take on board with you?

On the West Coast ports forum this liquor store is frequently recommended for wine & soda and checking Google Maps it's a half mile walk from the cruise ship terminal (100 Swinford St, San Pedro).

Ocean Liquor Mkt

233 N Harbor Blvd, San Pedro, CA 90731

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/World+Cruise+Center,+100+Swinford+Street,+San+Pedro,+CA+90731/Ocean+Liquor+Market,+233+North+Harbor+Boulevard+%23+A,+San+Pedro,+CA+90731/@33.746106,-118.2784066,18z/data=!4m8!4m7!1m2!1m1!1s0x80dd363f413c0f7d:0x556daba91fe62a7c!1m2!1m1!1s0x80dd36393b0b289d:0x97af393537a2ba1b!3e2

Edited by Astro Flyer

We are on the Crown on February 27 th and are hoping for a clean Shi p. We have been on the Crown before, but it has been several years. I will bring along my disinfectant wipes to wipe down the room thoroughly. I also try not to touch handrails and things frequently touched by the public.

All of the cruise ships from all the cruise lines are susceptible to Noro outbreaks. It is a non-discriminatory bug. Ships are most susceptible because there are thousands of pax and crew aboard in a confined space all eating and drinking from the same places. Princess has shown an aggressiveness to stamping it out when it appears in an aggressive manner. Some cruise lines seem to try to contain it without any discomfort to the pax which most often does not work. Noro also has been found in college dorms, nursing homes etc where people are in close contact and all eating from the same food source. It appears the Crown was the latest recipient of this malady. Tomorrow someone else will get to share the wonderful affects of this bug.

We are on the Crown on February 27th and are hoping for a clean Ship. We have been on the Crown before, but it has been several years. I will bring along my disinfectant wipes to wipe down the room thoroughly. I also try not to touch handrails and things frequently touched by the public.

Realize that your disinfectant wipes will NOT do anything for Noro. The full name is NoroVIRUS... Hence, you need ANTI VIRAL wipes, not anti-bacterial wipes.

It will be hectic. Check the Patter upon boarding to see if he is listed in there and meeting times.

His times are usually 2p to 3:30p in one of the DR's.

He may be unavailable.

The Crown seems to get hit alot with NORO. :(

Hubby and I just got off the Crown Princess today after enjoying a 10 day Mexico Riviera cruise.

Captain announced the Norovirus outbreak about three days into our cruise. That morning though (before the announcement), I noticed the sugar packets were removed from the tables in Horizon and the staff wouldn't allow self serve of beverages or food.

Captain daily reported the numbers of Noro cases and it didn't seem to climb much...with a total of around 40, though for a couple of days.. but.even yesterday, there were two new cases.

We have taken 20 cruises now...and this was the first one hubby contracted Noro. He fell ill right after returning from his shore excursion in PV. It came on really fast and he was miserable. Oddly though, he never did vomit, but it was definitely Noro as he complained of stomach pains and a 'tight belt feeling' around his stomach.

Then that evening he ran a low grade fever and had a headache and muscle aches. I notified medical that hubby had noro. They said 'he must stay' in his room'. Yup, we agreed with that, but he was so sick that he couldn't have left if he had wanted to.

He was so weak the next day, that I had to help him to the bathroom. Now despite the fact I reported the illness, the room service/dietary was not notified and they were supposed to be. Once that was corrected, we were able to order liquids for him.

No one called to clean our room (they were supposed to), so I called and asked for a cleaning team in our stateroom...isolation (oh, 'we didn't know'!!!!!)

Two guys came wearing gloves and mask and used bleach to clean counter surfaces and the bathroom.

No one came by to replenish water....or ice...or anything else...so I just would go out and get extra TP or towels from our room steward when I saw him in the hallway.

We ran out of bottled water (yes, tap would have been fine), but I went up to Horizon to purchase a 1.5 liter bottle of water for hubby.

Thankfully, hubby was well enough for us to fly home today. Medical had told us that he could leave 24 hrs after symptoms abated.

The Captain stated that the CDC and California Dept of Health believed that the virus was brought aboard and originated from LA (or even San Diego). San Diego was our first port stop. Those two cities are experiencing a surge in Noro cases.

I do credit Princess for taking quick action to slow down and stamp out Noro. As we all know, Noro spreads like a wildfire so it takes aggressive action to contain it. The strain on the crew and staff was great. Not too many smiles because those folks had to work extra hard and all were spread too thin.

Two years ago, I attended a neighbor's wedding and reception. I ate very little and 48 hrs later was so sick, sooooooo sick!. Never ever have been that sick in my life! It turned out that out of the 150+ guests that more than half came down with Noro within 48 hrs.

As a health care professional, now retired, I know that Noro is found at receptions, nursing homes, schools, and cruise ships.

We still had a good cruise on the Crown; and I will post a review in a day or two.

Edited by Arwen

Hubby and I just got off the Crown Princess today after enjoying a 10 day Mexico Riviera cruise.

Captain announced the Norovirus outbreak about three days into our cruise. That morning though (before the announcement), I noticed the sugar packets were removed from the tables in Horizon and the staff wouldn't allow self serve of beverages or food.

Captain daily reported the numbers of Noro cases and it didn't seem to climb much...with a total of around 40, though for a couple of days.. but.even yesterday, there were two new cases.

We have taken 20 cruises now...and this was the first one hubby contracted Noro. He fell ill right after returning from his shore excursion in PV. It came on really fast and he was miserable. Oddly though, he never did vomit, but it was definitely Noro as he complained of stomach pains and a 'tight belt feeling' around his stomach.

Then that evening he ran a low grade fever and had a headache and muscle aches. I notified medical that hubby had noro. They said 'he must stay' in his room'. Yup, we agreed with that, but he was so sick that he couldn't have left if he had wanted to.

He was so weak the next day, that I had to help him to the bathroom. Now despite the fact I reported the illness, the room service/dietary was not notified and they were supposed to be. Once that was corrected, we were able to order liquids for him.

No one called to clean our room (they were supposed to), so I called and asked for a cleaning team in our stateroom...isolation (oh, 'we didn't know'!!!!!)

Two guys came wearing gloves and mask and used bleach to clean counter surfaces and the bathroom.

No one came by to replenish water....or ice...or anything else...so I just would go out and get extra TP or towels from our room steward when I saw him in the hallway.

We ran out of bottled water (yes, tap would have been fine), but I went up to Horizon to purchase a 1.5 liter bottle of water for hubby.

Thankfully, hubby was well enough for us to fly home today. Medical had told us that he could leave 24 hrs after symptoms abated.

The Captain stated that the CDC and California Dept of Health believed that the virus was brought aboard and originated from LA (or even San Diego). San Diego was our first port stop. Those two cities are experiencing a surge in Noro cases.

I do credit Princess for taking quick action to slow down and stamp out Noro. As we all know, Noro spreads like a wildfire so it takes aggressive action to contain it. The strain on the crew and staff was great. Not too many smiles because those folks had to work extra hard and all were spread too thin.

Two years ago, I attended a neighbor's wedding and reception. I ate very little and 48 hrs later was so sick, sooooooo sick!. Never ever have been that sick in my life! It turned out that out of the 150+ guests that more than half came down with Noro within 48 hrs.

As a health care professional, now retired, I know that Noro is found at receptions, nursing homes, schools, and cruise ships.

We still had a good cruise on the Crown; and I will post a review in a day or two.

It is everywhere.....:(

Glad you still had a good cruise. :)

We were on board the Jan 8, 10 night cruise, on Crown Princess with this outbreak.

We managed to all stay healthy, which is GREAT and the odds of being among the sick did stay around 1.5% or lower for the duration of the cruise. Well, that is what they told us anyway. If the max sick at a given time was 40 out of 3200 passengers... that is not too bad, considering how contagious it can be. Not that we want anyone to get sick on vacation. I was impressed with the actions taken by the crew of the Crown.

Very quickly, the crew went into a "code red", lock down mode which was good to see and I do believe helped greatly to contain the virus. The first we noticed (I thought it was the 4th or 5th day) was at the buffet they had servers working the lines to serve you food and handout plates and utensils. Then as we walked around that morning, all crew that weren't busy with another duty, seemed to be out and about sanitizing all public surfaces. We noticed this before hearing any announcements from the Captain, but that could be because we were off ship when they first announced it. After that we saw housekeeping crew with a buckets of sanitizer, wiping down rails, elevator buttons, chairs, etc, multiple times a day. In the dining room, which we ate quite a few meals after the first announcement of the virus on board, they stopped putting roll baskets, butter, and other condiments on the table. On our last Port day, Puerto Vallarta, they announced they would be changing over ALL the linen in the cabin and to take all our items off the counter tops so they could sanitize properly. In the halls, you did sometimes see bio-hazard bags that you had to walk around, which smelled strongly of BLEACH. The crew was working HARD to get rid of this virus.

Other than those changes, our cruise activities went on as normal as you could imagine. We had a great time on the Crown and wouldn't hesitate to sail her again.

In general, keep yourself clean and odds are you will stay healthy on a cruise ship. My hands got dried out from all the sanitizer and hand washing I did, but I think that was well worth it! Outbreak or not, cruise or not, wash your hands often.