Dress Code on the Emerald

rs12065

just off emerald princess Jan14-Jan18

many men in shorts in main dining room, anytime dining. not dress shorts, just shorts. this was a 4 night cruise. one night the princess patter called for dress to impress. there was zero issue with men wearing shorts. i did not see any women wearing shorts in the MDR on any night.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be packing an extra pair for the DR only. ;)

I've also seen men in shorts allowed into the traditional dining room for dinner on short cruises. I haven't seen them on week-long and longer cruises.

They're a lot more lenient on the shorter cruises with all the dress codes. I suppose they figure people don't really want to dress for such a short trip.

I've also seen men in shorts allowed into the traditional dining room for dinner on short cruises. I haven't seen them on week-long and longer cruises.

The first night of a cruise is always lenient since some people might board in inappropriate wear and the luggage has not yet arrived.

They're a lot more lenient on the shorter cruises with all the dress codes. I suppose they figure people don't really want to dress for such a short trip.

There are no formal nights on cruises of four days or fewer, so the dress codes for that do not apply.

The first night of a cruise is always lenient since some people might board in inappropriate wear and the luggage has not yet arrived.

There are no formal nights on cruises of four days or fewer, so the dress codes for that do not apply.

I know, I know isn't that great! Even the formal nights on the 5 day are hardly observed. :D

Those short cruise also offer another benefit- advancing you up the ladder for cabin credit faster. ;)

I agree Rachel and Jim. I am retired Air Force and have worn my Military Mess Dress on cruises. It is a tux

One of the sharpest formal night men I have ever seen, was a Canadian Army officer in full mess dress on a recent cruise. Awesome. I was in regulation doublet and kilt; we immediately struck up a conversation. :)

• 5 months later...
I always thought Mil Spec did not apply to cruises as they aren't a formal function but a vacation? I know many veterans that will not wear military dress on vacation citing it as being against regs. Is that right or wrong?

Bit of a necro bump, but... "being against regs" - that depends on the nationality and service. I've seen some pretty spirited debates regarding the different US services and their regulations.

As far as Canadian military goes, if on active service, mil pers can wear mess dress; the CF dress manual specifies that mess dress may be worn on occasions when formal evening attire is required. However, retired CF personnel must write to the nearest formation commanding officer to ask permission to wear mess dress. Once retired, there is no automatic right to continue wearing any order of CF uniform. Hope that helps.

Jackytar

(active duty RCN; wore my mess uniform proudly on the QM2 in '14 and will wear it with equal pride on the Star Princess in '17)

We were on Caribbean Princess last week and a passenger was asked to leave the MDR because he was inappropriately dressed in shorts, Well done Princess:D:D.

I'm just curious. Was he already seated & then asked to leave or was he turned away at the door before entering?

I have not cruised with Princess since 2008 and some questions regarding currently acceptable clothing to be worn at dinner. Yes, I have read the Dress Code as listed on the Princess website. I am not looking to start another debate nor am I interested in what you think I should wear. I am asking what is actually being worn and accepted in the MDR.

Do men wear dress shorts or neat jeans? Is a tie on Formal Nights a must?

Please share what you have observed.

Just got off, and I saw an American with obligatory ball cap, vest and basketball shorts go into the dining room on formal night - no questions asked :eek:

By reading this it looks like cruise ships are lagging behind land based establishments in terms of dress code. There are night clubs around the world where bouncers refuse entry to anyone wearing shorts so it really sounds like cruise ships are scraping the bottom of the barrel with their clientele so to speak.

By reading this it looks like cruise ships are lagging behind land based establishments in terms of dress code. There are night clubs around the world where bouncers refuse entry to anyone wearing shorts so it really sounds like cruise ships are scraping the bottom of the barrel with their clientele so to speak.

There are also night clubs around the world where bouncers protect employees who are wearing nothing at all.

Edited by Potstech

Just got off our second Emerald cruise for this year. Two different itineraries resulted in two different answers to the question..what is the dress code?

Emerald in January (Caribbean itinerary..4 & 5 day Getaways) less formal. MDR..Dress to Impress on the 4 day Getaway..many men had slacks and golf shirt or button down shirt/no tie. Formal night on the 5 day Getaway had men in tuxes, suits, slacks and shirt/tie, slacks and button shirt/no tie. Men in long jeans not turned away. Men in shorts were asked to return with long pants. Men in tee shirt and long pants were allowed. (Middle/older crowd with majority American)

Emerald in June (Baltic itinerary...2 weeks)very formal. MDR and Anytime dining were all tuxes and dark suits with a few kilts for men. Many men had on sports jackets on casual nights. On formal nights,our dining room had no one who didn't have on at least a sports jacket. (Older crowd with majority European)

Itinerary makes a difference.

Edited by BRANDEE

Just got off, and I saw an American with obligatory ball cap, vest and basketball shorts go into the dining room on formal night - no questions asked :eek:

Hmmm ... a wee bit of stereotyping going on here ... and I thought folks from Lincolnshire were never rude.

The world is ever changing so change with it or be lost. What was the practice in 1950 is not the practice today. Formal night is an antiquated practice these days and HAL and Celebrity among others have tossed it aside. Princess will not be far behind as the "formal" code is more and more routinely ignored.

Formal night is an antiquated practice these days and HAL and Celebrity among others have tossed it aside. Princess will not be far behind as the "formal" code is more and more routinely ignored.
I didn't realize those two lines have done away with formal nights. I know that Norwegian has no formal nights (and is 100% anytime dining.) Personally, I detest getting dressed up, and I do not want to bring along a bunch of extra, uncomfortable clothes on vacation (and I hate it even more in warm climates.) And with luggage surcharges and weight restrictions on airplanes, this becomes even more of an issue. So on my last Princess cruise, I just avoided the MDR on the formal nights and went to the buffet or the Crown Grill.

However, I do realize that there are people who find dressing up to be an important part of the cruise experience. I wonder if there's some sort of middle ground -- like having separate dining rooms with different dress codes.

I do agree that as time goes by, dressing up is going to become a thing of the past. Look how much dress codes have changed at work in the past 30 - 40 years? Or in other formal settings? When you watch TV shows and movies from the '50s and '60s, it's alarming to see how dressy everyone was, even in informal situations. (And I'm old enough to remember those days.)

• 3 weeks later...
Smart Casual: no shorts, no tank tops. Casual pants, dress pants or nice jeans are normal. Most men wear collared shirts, but a few are in polo shirts with sleeves.

Formal: 95% are in jacket and tie either tux, suit or sport jacket. Some are in shirt & tie no jacket, a few in jacket & collared shirt with no tie, and a few in basic smart casual.

That matches our experience rather exactly ....