Dress Code on the Emerald

rs12065

I have not cruised with Princess since 2008 and some questions regarding currently acceptable clothing to be worn at dinner. Yes, I have read the Dress Code as listed on the Princess website. I am not looking to start another debate nor am I interested in what you think I should wear. I am asking what is actually being worn and accepted in the MDR.

Do men wear dress shorts or neat jeans? Is a tie on Formal Nights a must?

Please share what you have observed.

I have not cruised with Princess since 2008 and some questions regarding currently acceptable clothing to be worn at dinner. Yes, I have read the Dress Code as listed on the Princess website. I am not looking to start another debate nor am I interested in what you think I should wear. I am asking what is actually being worn and accepted in the MDR.

A tie is not required on formal nights.

I have not seen Men wearing shorts in the main-dining room for dinner.

I have seen Men in nice jeans in the main dining room.

Edited by dandonna

A quick search found lots of threads on this question, here is one......

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2254351&highlight=dress+code

Based on our cruise on the Emerald--DITTO these remarks

Another DITTO to the above!

DH no longer takes his tuxedo for formal nights.

LuLu

We stick to the requested attire. Smart Casual in the evenings. I wear a dark suit for formal nights unless we eat somewhere other than MDR. In that case we stick with Smart Casual. I would never consider entering MDR in shorts for dinner.

Of course I also believe that a gentleman never wears a hat indoors. Hats in restaurants really peeve me. People don't seem to be raised with any manners these days. It's sad.

Smart Causal Nights: neat denim yes, men's shorts no, even if "tailored" (still occasional reports of those in shorts being turned away).

Formal Nights: Just one of jacket or tie is acceptable, though a reasonable plurality of gentlemen still wear both. Admission still granted if wearing neither, though a dress shirt would then be de rigueur (still occasional reports of those in short sleeves or polo shirts being turned away).

Smart Casual: no shorts, no tank tops. Casual pants, dress pants or nice jeans are normal. Most men wear collared shirts, but a few are in polo shirts with sleeves.

Formal: 95% are in jacket and tie either tux, suit or sport jacket. Some are in shirt & tie no jacket, a few in jacket & collared shirt with no tie, and a few in basic smart casual.

Shorts of any kind are never acceptable in the dining room in the evening.

On formal nights, in my experience, gentlemen are almost always in at least suits or jackets. I almost never see any gentleman without a jacket in the dining room on formal nights. That's on a number of Princess ships.

I am asking what is actually being worn and accepted in the MDR.

On casual evenings the only thing that is not commonly seen are shorts although there are a few ships where people do wear them. Jeans are fine as are T shirts although there are a few that say they aren't. On our last cruise on the Royal & took 5 polo's and didn't use one. T shirts were perfectly acceptable.

On formal nights a pair of dress pants & a dress shirt will do but many guys still stick to wearing a jacket. You'll be in the minority without a jacket but you'll still be admitted into the DR.

On the Emerald since they're doing short cruises lately I suspect the people will be dressed very casually as they were the last time I was on the ship.

We've cruised five times on Princess in the past 15 months, ranging from a 3-day Baja to the Panama Canal. Doesn't make me an expert, but it gives me a basis to comment.

NON-FORMAL NIGHTS:

-- I've seen shorts on first and last night, when theoretically you might not have your luggage. I wouldn't do it, but you didn't ask for opinions or lectures.

-- Jeans and sandals, while forbidden by code, are perfectly acceptable in reality.

I can only address the men's side of things, other than to say that the line of acceptability seems much blurrier on the women's side. I can guarantee no woman has to worry about sandals.

FORMAL NIGHTS:

While the code calls for a jacket and tie, I think it's moved to jacket OR tie and can now be tested even for that.

I plan to take nice but not formal clothes on our February Mexican Riviera cruise. If they turn me away from the MDR with a nice polo and Dockers on formal nights, we'll go to the Horizon Court. No big deal.

For years, I've tried to abide by the rules, but it now feels like life's too short to worry about jackets and ties. If we're clean and presentable, that's probably good enough.

Jim

I have run three polls here on Cruise Critic since 2008 about what is actually worn by men on Formal Nights in the Main Dining Rooms. To summarize the latest poll:

71% of men wear attire which meets the Princess guidelines.

15% of men meet the spirit of the guidelines, but not the letter (e.g. Scottish kilt, military uniforms, sportcoat and tie).

14% of men wear clothes which do not meet the guidelines.

People without ties would fall in the 14%, with less than 2% being people who don't wear a coat. Of the 14%, one in fourteen responded they have been turned away at the dining room.

These are compiled from responses from over 455 Cruise Critic members and what they do. Take it for what it is worth. People's experience will vary.

On casual nights shorts are inappropriate. I have seen some men in jeans on cruises in Alaska and out of Texas home ports - but most of the Texas gentlemen also are wearing western shirts, bolo ties, dress cowboy boots, and in some cases, Stetsons. I guess one would call that an ethnic outfit.

On casual nights shorts are inappropriate. I have seen some men in jeans on cruises in Alaska and out of Texas home ports - but most of the Texas gentlemen also are wearing western shirts, bolo ties, dress cowboy boots, and in some cases, Stetsons. I guess one would call that an ethnic outfit.

You make it sound like jeans are something worn only in cruises originating from Texas. :D

They've been accepted by Princess for many years & people wear them with just about anything- polo shirts, T shirts, dress shirts and what ever else make them feel comfortable.

We've cruised five times on Princess in the past 15 months, ranging from a 3-day Baja to the Panama Canal. Doesn't make me an expert, but it gives me a basis to comment.

NON-FORMAL NIGHTS:

-- I've seen shorts on first and last night, when theoretically you might not have your luggage. I wouldn't do it, but you didn't ask for opinions or lectures.

-- Jeans and sandals, while forbidden by code, are perfectly acceptable in reality.

I can only address the men's side of things, other than to say that the line of acceptability seems much blurrier on the women's side. I can guarantee no woman has to worry about sandals.

FORMAL NIGHTS:

While the code calls for a jacket and tie, I think it's moved to jacket OR tie and can now be tested even for that.

I plan to take nice but not formal clothes on our February Mexican Riviera cruise. If they turn me away from the MDR with a nice polo and Dockers on formal nights, we'll go to the Horizon Court. No big deal.

For years, I've tried to abide by the rules, but it now feels like life's too short to worry about jackets and ties. If we're clean and presentable, that's probably good enough.

Jim

Jeans are permitted, by guidelines, in the MDR on non fromal nights. Reality

15% of men meet the spirit of the guidelines, but not the letter (e.g. Scottish kilt, military uniforms, sportcoat and tie).

Beg to differ, but kilt with proper accessories (black tie or even white tie), and military mess dress uniforms most certainly DO meet the letter and spirit of the guidelines. Both are accepted level of formality everywhere.

A kilt with black tie (usually Prince Charlie) is the Scottish equivalent of tuxedo (evening wear), regulation doublet with white tie is correct formal anywhere. Mess dress, similarly, is the military equivalent of a tuxedo.

Edited by UpcountryTravelers

I always thought Mil Spec did not apply to cruises as they aren't a formal function but a vacation? I know many veterans that will not wear military dress on vacation citing it as being against regs. Is that right or wrong?

You make it sound like jeans are something worn only in cruises originating from Texas. :D

They've been accepted by Princess for many years & people wear them with just about anything- polo shirts, T shirts, dress shirts and what ever else make them feel comfortable.

The only cruises I have seen men wear jeans to the MDR were the ones I mentioned: Texas and Alaska. That is my observation.

Beg to differ, but kilt with proper accessories (black tie or even white tie), and military mess dress uniforms most certainly DO meet the letter and spirit of the guidelines. Both are accepted level of formality everywhere.

A kilt with black tie (usually Prince Charlie) is the Scottish equivalent of tuxedo (evening wear), regulation doublet with white tie is correct formal anywhere. Mess dress, similarly, is the military equivalent of a tuxedo.

My apologies. The polls were set up to report wearing of uniforms separately from tuxedos, and that was how they were reported.

AF-1 Thank you for your service. I meant no disrespect of the uniform. One of the most handsome men I've seen on formal nights was a Marine from our roll call who, while on leave returning from Iraq, wore his dress uniform to Formal Nights. Everyone looked upon him as a superstar - which he was.

I have sailed out of San Francisco (where jeans were produced), San Pedro, Galveston and Port Everglades and have seen jeans worn by both sexes. PE is probably the least with men in jeans but certainly a significant number. Sailing out of the other three ports particularly Galveston, jeans are either a very large minority or the majority. Here in the southwest we wear jeans everywhere including what most would say was a nice restaurant, church services, etc. It is just something we all wear. If you see me in the MDR on regular nights, I will be the one in jeans and athletic shoes.

just off emerald princess Jan14-Jan18

many men in shorts in main dining room, anytime dining. not dress shorts, just shorts. this was a 4 night cruise. one night the princess patter called for dress to impress. there was zero issue with men wearing shorts. i did not see any women wearing shorts in the MDR on any night.