Besides clothes, I'm packing...

serena_17

We take magnets - useful to put invitations, etc. up on the wall. We also take a bit of duct tape - have never had to use it, but it will fix almost anything that breaks.

Have a wonderful cruise.

We always bring duck tape and luckily never used it, but it can be used for many things. Also the magnets are great because the walls are metal.

We always bring duck tape and luckily never used it, but it can be used for many things.

We always packed it and then never used it....the one time we didn't pack it, the airline ripped open one of the short sides of one of bags. We were in San Juan and went to Walgreens and BOUGHT duct tape. It worked to close up the bag for boarding the ship. It didn't look great, but fortunately we were cruising back to our home port and a car ride home, where we could toss the bag.

So now we just leave the rest of the roll in the toiletries/misc. suitcase. :D

You should be able to bring and use an electric cord/extension/splitter -- as long as it does NOT have a surge protector. They may be hard to find as surge protection is the rage.

The reason(s) are in this document:

www.uscg.mil/tvncoe/Documents/safetyalerts/SurgeProtectiveDevices.pdf

The Belkin that someone linked IS a surge protector.

They may not be "caught" on boarding. But since the risk is one of FIRE at sea (and in your stateroom), you certainly wouldn't want to be "caught" by a ground fault.

OOPS, I checked the RCI website and ANY EXTENSION CORD is forbidden. This is probably because so many are surge-protected. I would look for a "splitter" that is NOT surge protected.

Here is the link for forbidden items: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=2608&faqSubjectId=333

Edited by crystalspin

Not all ships on all cruise lines have hair dryers so you cannot make a blanket statement that all do. It varies by line and even by ships within a line.

To be honest I see most of the Online packing lists as completely unnecessary. Other than clothes we bring my husbands meds, our toiletries, sunscreen and a camera. Staterooms are small and I don't want mine filled with "just in case" and "you never know" items. In nearly 20 cruises I have never needed most of the items discussed.

My only absolute musts

Would be first aid including insect repellant and

Needle and thread.

Like to haves

Post it notes (can just use ship notepad)

Highlighter (can just use a pen).

I really don't understand why people need a lot of the other stuff.

The over the door holder I've never seen a need for even when we had our (then 25 year old) daughter with us, there was enough shelf pace in the bathroom or on the desk.

Not all ships on all cruise lines have hair dryers so you cannot make a blanket statement that all do. It varies by line and even by ships within a line.

This thread began in the RCI forum before getting moved, hence the line-specific answer. :)

Thank you pandaball so it's ok to bring your own hairdryer? Would a hair straightener be allowed also - apologies for questions, it's my first cruise!

Yes for both. I don't go anywhere without mine!

OP, life's pretty good onboard without all this unnecessary stuff. Don't clutter up your cabin and waste your time hauling so much junk -- and, yes, 2/3 of this just junk that'll get in the way.

Edited by MrsPete

I find it interesting and appreciate seeing what people pack. There have been times where I hadn't thought of such an item mentioned. It's up to me to decide what's important for my needs and wants. Pack whatever u want whether it be a need, want, or just in case - I do. I bet there many a cruiser that was stranded at sea that wish they had had some of those "unecessary" items. As long as you're willing to lug it around, then take whatever and how much u want. :)

Stretchy washing line ( from coles haberdashery section)

clear plastic over the door hanger for bathroom etc ( reject shop)

Electric wand to making tea/coffee..if you cant be bothered going to the buffet at night..( take a small tetra milk )

..the bathrooms have hand washers, soaps, shampoos..but you need CONDITIONER

I got a small (1/2) bottle of vodka on my MSC cruise in December.. it was an accident but they didn't take it our of my luggage..yay

Perhaps they only look for big bottles?

Small prewrapped and bowed ( KMART) BOXES OF CHOCS/BISCUITS to give as little gifts for staff, guides etc.. I once did a Christmas cruise and the stewards etc seemed really pleased to receive a gift..( gave a tip too, but its nice to receive a gift)

This then freed up some luggage space for me to buy MORE JUNK.. LOL its a mental thing..

Have a great trip..

Sometimes take a travel iron if its a long cruise and theres no guest laundry..( I know you shouldn't but I'm super careful)

Also try to take things that you are happy to leave or throw away..( same with clothes, I figger that I don't know the people that i'm sailing with, so I don't have to dress in ( CHANEL lol) so sometimes find cheap clothes in a thrift shop to chuck away at the end of a cruise

In the USA Rid is a brand of lice treatment products.

Sort of why I asked. :eek:

Thanks so much for the answer. Would be devastated if my straightener was confiscated! Countdown is on to my honeymoon in Harmony

Congratulations and have a wonderful time on your honeymoon and cruise!

And we have never found the need for a power strip. :D We have both US and European adapter/plugs with additional USB ports so that we can utilize both vanity outlets. :D

N41EF. I noticed you bring your own toilet paper. Do you flush it and risk jamming up an entire section of plumbing? Or do you dispose of it in a separate container in the bathroom. The toilet paper on ships is specially designed for the sewage system found on ships, (remember the SWOOSH sound) and any contribution, other than human waste, can severely hamper the function of the pipes.

Just so you know, they probably won't allow the power board as they're a fire risk. My uncle tried to take one on radiance from Sydney last summer and it was confiscated.

The power cords that get taken (reported from other posters) are ones that are old or damaged. Most cruisers seem to be able to get one on board including me.

Travel irons are NOT allowed no matter how good you are at smuggling. Nor are Electric wands for heating liquid. They are a fire hazard and endanger everyone. Yes, you can take your curling iron or straightener (for your hair, not your clothes).

I also take large drinking glasses. I drink a lot of water. Usually between 60-80 ounces a day minimum. Those piddly little things are a joke. I bring an alarm clock. I guess depending on the size of your cabin you might need an organizer but we have never needed one. There are plenty of drawers in the cabin. We always have space left over.

I bring any medication (prescription and over the counter) I think I might need (with spares) including bandages and safety pin type things. I have a little "go" bathroom bag that includes neosporin, nail file etc. I bring my own shampoo, conditioner and hair dryer. You can get a sewing kit on board from Stewart.

Edited by notentirelynormal