Live: Silver Spirit South America Grand Voyage 2016

Emtbsam

Kudos Victoria (and Bob) for challenging your selves. We enjoyed a similar excursion in Dominca a few years ago (w/out the rappelling--did enough of that in the Army). Ida and I look forward to seeing Bob, you, Dieter/Debbie and David for dinner in La Terrazza Monday nite.

The excursion was quite challenging, and I was the wimp of the group. The rappelling was not as scary as I thought it would be, but the 10 - 15 foot jumps from the rocks into pools of water were demanding. The canyon is gorgeous and I'm glad I did it, but I believe it is a once in a lifetime experience for me!

The cruise continues to be most enjoyable. The ports have been interesting. Tomorrow, we will probably just walk around St. Lucia since we've been here many times before. Then two days of snorkeling in Grenada and Barbados.

Tonight we crashed in the cabin and had pizza and Sicilian red wine on the veranda. Ah, life is good.

Ahh, life is good. I am ok with rappelling. George and I used to mountain climb, but I wouldn't want to do it into a pool of water, mainly because I want to see where my feet are landing.

Thanks Doug and Lynn. Dieter and David both in the last 12 hours asked how are flights were looking. Here in ATL (unlike east coast) tho it is cold (now 29F feels like 15 with light snow flurries (not sticking to ground) our flights are still scheduled to depart (early Sunday)on time. Will be wonderful to enjoy mid 80's/mid 70's temps the next 3+ weeks.

Edited by WesW

The excursion was quite challenging. The canyon is gorgeous and I'm glad I did it, but I believe it is a once in a lifetime experience for me! The cruise continues to be most enjoyable. The ports have been interesting. Then two days of snorkeling in Grenada and Barbados.

Appreciate your excellent posts and updates. Last year, Dominica was one of super top favorites from our ten different locations in the Caribbean that we research on our early 2015 Silver Cloud sailing. Assume things seemed fairly well there on that natural/scenic location after their tropical storm damage last fall, right? Any other details/insights on Dominica? Both Grenada and Barbados worked very well for us and we liked the options and nice potentials on both of these islands with lots of character and variety. Keep up the great sharing.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 35,216 views for these postings.

Thanks Doug and Lynn. Dieter and David both in the last 12 hours asked how are flights were looking. Here in ATL (unlike east coast) tho it is cold (now 29F feels like 15 with light snow flurries (not sticking to ground) our flights are still scheduled to depart (early Sunday)on time. Will be wonderful to enjoy mid 80's/mid 70's temps the next 3+ weeks.

Hope you get away ok Wes, and have a wonderful time.

St. Lucia today, Saturday.

Since we've been here several times, we decided to hike up to the Governor's mansion and to the local technical college for excellent views over the whole island. A lovely lunch at La Terrazza and now will head back out to look at the local market.

As an aside, there are tons of fresh fruit every morning with just a small offering of what I assume is canned fruit. I've had raspberries, black berries, strawberries, pineapple, mango, kiwi, oranges, grapefruit, grapes, cantalope, bananas, green mellon and water mellon so far. I am sure I have neglected to mention some.

The food is consistently good. Some offerings are better than others. There was a whole grilled salmon today on the buffet which was cooked to perfection.

Chacun a son gout! I'll put my pom poms down now, but only briefly.

Victoria and Bob, enjoying your postings.

We too thought there was a lot of emphasis on shopping between the art sales, the shopping consultant and the store. I actually enjoyed the stores more a few years ago on the Shadow. I think the jewelry store was oversized and we really saw no interest in the other store.

Glad you are enjoying the cruise as we enjoyed the one prior to yours.

Keith

Thanks Candy and Mr. Silver...see Wellseasoned, EnglishUSA, and Emtbsam in Barbados soon.

In preparation for your Barbados arrival,

Balmy with an occasional shower. Just another day around 83F but, being south Floridians, for some reason, it feels much hotter. The island's been full of cruise ship passengers and the hotel that you are joining is a full house.

Safe travels and we will keep an eye out for you and Ida.

Edited by KaraokeQueen

Beautiful day in Granada, took a seven hour "Island of Spice" tour which was done very well. The more adventurous Emtbsams had another fine snorkeling outing. CD Vicki's show, "Ship Happens" last night was excellent and very funny. We'll dine in STARS tonight, which we enjoy very much, though it is not to everyone's taste.

By the way, when we dined with Vicki a few days ago, she indicated that the gourmet hamburgers on the MDR dinner menu will be removed from that menu sometime in the hopefully near future. These are the same two burger selections which are also served on the pool deck lunch every day.

Tomorrow is Barbados, where we will say goodbye to some friends and relatives and welcome other friends such as Wes and Ida. Life remains good.

Spirit Pool Deck

Spirit%20Pool%20Deck.jpg

Caribbean Sunset

Caribbean%20sunset.jpg

Granada -

We went on the snorkelling champagne lobster tour today. The catamaran was immaculate and since there were only 25 of us on board, there was lots of room. We went to an enjoyable snorkelling site and then sailed to an island where we dined on a fish soup followed by grilled lobster and several salads. The champagne flowed freely. Then we sailed back at quite a clip to the ship in time to change for drinks and dinner in Stars. I highly recommend this tour.

Barbados -

On change over day, we always leave our do not disturb sign out so our cabin attendants do not have to worry about cleaning our cabin. We went on another snorkelling tour today up the west coast of the island. At the first stop we had the opportunity to swim with turtles and at the second stop, we saw many different kinds of fish. While we were snorkelling, the crew grilled chicken, shrimp and steaks which were quite good. Another enjoyable excursion on a first rate boat.

When we returned to our cabin, we received word that "due to an unscheduled rocket launch from Kourou Space Center, al ships are now forbidden in the area of Devils Island" so our call there in two days has been cancelled. Since we have been there before, it is not an issue for us, and we hope others are not terribly disappointed. Frankly, we have been so active for the last few days, I am pleased to have some sea days to recuperate!

The CC.com Meet & Mingle will be in the Obs Bar this evening after the life boat drill.

Life is good!

By the way, when we dined with Vicki a few days ago, she indicated that the gourmet hamburgers on the MDR dinner menu will be removed from that menu sometime in the hopefully near future. These are the same two burger selections which are also served on the pool deck lunch every day.

Hip hip hooray!!

Nice sunset and that pool deck looks a little crowded.

Lucky us! We are now on board the Spirit again with oh so wonderful friends (Wellseasoneds (Dieter & Debbie), Emtbsams(Bob & Victoria) and EnglishUSA (David).

We arrived at the Barbados cruise terminal early about 11 a.m. and fortunately Georgia (one of the entertainers (Soprano) verified with the Spirit that we could board so happily boarded very early. We made our way to the pool deck and spied Debbie chatting with Dieter (in hot tub) and after hearty hugs, a quick trip to the Wellseasoned suite (our suite not availble until after 1pm), Dieter changed and then we headed to La Terraza for a welcome on board lunch with EnglishUSA too. David was kind enough to share is secret Zin with us at lunch (delightful as good as the latest vintage from Seghesio).

We then (read Ida) went back to the suite to unpack (bribed Ida with champagne) as I headed for an hour+ on the elliptical. We had the mandatory life boat drill at 5pm, then we headed to our Meet & Mingle. Please enjoy a few pix below:

Karoke Queen (Christie & Terrie) and Wellseadoned:

IMG_1963_zps9muyiy6q.jpg

LtoR (counterclockwise) Wellseasoned/Dieter, EnglishUSA/David, Debbie, Wes, Ida, Victoria/Emtbsam, Bob:

IMG_1969_zps9bmax6f2.jpg

After our Meet & Mingle (Emtbsams, Wellseasoneds, Ida and I) headed to La Terreza for a delicious dinner (Duck Ragout, Osso Bucco, Pistachio Ice cream and White Chocolate Grappa) paired with a full bodied Malbec. Pix of us below in La Terraza:

IMG_1971_zps5zznforf.jpg

Alas, this morning it is rocking and rolling a bit and Ida is mildly seasick. Crew is wonderful offering her ginger, crackers, green apples. She is slowly recovering. Shortly will head to first enrichment lecture given by Niki Sepsa on South America. Hopefully, Ida will fee up to Ballroom dance lessons this afternoon. We have theCaptain's reception tonight and then Showtime Silversea presents, "Mind The Gap"

a rich history of British music (Beatles, Rolling Stone, Dusty Springfield).

Good Morning from the Silver Spirit. We are en route to our first Brazilian port, Fortaleza and should arrive Saturday, January 30th. We enjoyed dinner in the restaurant last nite but first enjoyed drinks & dancing in the Bar. Ida and I were able to use our Ballroom Dance lessons. We were the couple grinning like high schoolers at their first dance. We enjoyed doing the foxtrot & moving around The Bar dance floor effortlessly. Please enjoy a few pix taken from last night (drinks and Showtime Silversea's Mind the Gap (reflection of British musical hits). Today, we have two more enrichment lectures (Amazon River by Niki Sepsas, and followed by Latin America; Three cultures by Joe Snyder. Showtime Silversea showcases a classical pianist, Roget Tutti tonight. Wellseasoneds, EnglishUSA, and Emtbsams are putting together a terrific team trivia peformance with multiple wins. Will let Dieter or Victoria give y'all the latest team trivia results.

IMG_1972_zpsqki4yvvy.jpg

IMG_1984_zpss5omwpqf.jpg

Edited by WesW

Day 3 at sea. The weather is overcast with occasional showers, but not enough to dampen spirits.

I have been attending the Portuguese language lessons given by Ana (the Portuguese International Hostess). She is doing an excellent job of giving us the necessary vocabulary and confidence to use it.

By the way, I have heard that there will be many, many ships in port in Rio, but we will be lucky to have a berth, albeit the farthest one.

Dinner this evening will be in Stars with two ladies from the Isle of Jersey with whom we have travelled in the past.

Life is good.

Am remiss for not saying thanks to y'all (Keith, Rachel, Spinnaker2, Mr. Silver) for Ida's sea sickness recovery. She is fine now as seas have calmed and she is taking her Ginger root pill daily.

Mr. Silver was able to give Cruise Director Vicki and hearty hug for y'all. She said had very nice words for Mrs. Silver and you.

Last nite, Ida and I enjoyed a delightful dinner at the Grill with a couple we met at the Hilton. Daniele (French but speaks five languages incl Spanish--how Ida and she met) and Koji (Japanese and an author of 50 books in Japanese)--they faced a significant challenge on embarkation day as their Tokyo SS rep informed them that they did not need Brazilian visas. Alas, they did and they spent 4-5 hrs at the Brazilian embassy in Barbados and fortunately were able to get their visas to board. After dinner, one of the grill's waiters, Jonathan (son of Silversea Executive Chef Jerome) came by to say hello to Daniele (they are both french) and opened a brand new bottle of a delicious Sauternes for us to enjoy.

Today we enjoyed a wonderful morning culinary demonstration on board the Silver Spirit with executive chef Grant Chilcott. He showed us how to prepare Honey.Spiced Duck, Sautéed Shrimp with Vanilla Sauce and Papaya Salsa. Grant plated the honey spiced duck with sweet and sour Cabbage. Please note how much our good friends (Wellseasoneds) Dieter, Ida and Debbie are enjoying their small taste of this fabulous tasty dishes.

debbieidadiet_zpsa0xucegz.jpg

grant_zpskdk4yaur.jpg

shrimp_zpsb4ofoduj.jpg

dck_zpskyxm2usr.jpg

Edited by WesW