Dublin Port

augies

If you look on the British Isles's board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=233

you will see that Dublin is an industrial port, and not the best place to walk. Downtown is about a 15 minute bus ride. Buses (some cruise lines charge for them, some don't) will shuttle to Trinity College. Taxis will be available.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Hi! I currently live in Dublin (near the cruise ships actually!) so I can help.

You could walk into town and I have often encountered cruise passengers doing so and pointed them the right way. That said, it is pretty far.

The best option, and I don't understand why more people don't do this, is to take the Tram called LUAS. You basically walk straight 7 minutes towards the 3 arena/point village and you eventually turn left and walk south until you reach them. The LUAS should be really easy to spot there. You then buy a ticket form a machine (takes chip cards that have maestro function) and you're off! The tram is the most reliable transportation in Dublin and comes about every 7 minutes.

Take the LUAS to Abbey Street. This is right at the crossing of O'Connel street and there you go! You are right in the middle of all the sights. You can walk through O'Connel, see the post office, pass by pubs, etc. It's all walkable form there. You're also near the Ha'Penny bridge. Brother Hubbard would be my favorite place to eat in this area.

You can also walk along the Liffey into town from the port and if you follow the Liffey you will pass by the Samuel Beckett Bridge and some great lunch places. These are all near the port and so you could walk there first and eat lunch and then take the LUAS in.

In the evening take the LUAS back but get off at the stop before the Point and get a pint at the Ferryman pub (right over the Samuel Beckett Bridge). If you plan about 25 minutes to get back to ship from there you shouldn't be rushed.

Hi again! I just looked this all up in google maps and the ships might be docked on the very very far end. I do see cruisers walking by often but they either don't mind walking or were docked nearer.

So to be safe, add an extra 20-25 minutes to any of the times I mentioned above! (this would be the case if you are in the farthest end).

Where does Princess dock in Dublin? Is it possible to walk into town for lunch?

Thanks.

I would never walk it as it was mentioned its an industrial area with a lot of machinery moving depending on the date your there, too dangerous, & you can`t count on the weather.

• 3 months later...
I would never walk it as it was mentioned its an industrial area with a lot of machinery moving depending on the date your there, too dangerous, & you can`t count on the weather.

When I was there in 2010, the ship told us that we were not allowed to walk through the industrial port and had to either take the ship's shuttle (cheap and easy) or a taxi. Maybe it's changed by now, but I would recommend using some form of transportation vs. walking.