Different last name on a passport and drivers license

jerseyboi87

So I recently married my long time girlfriend and we booked a cruise on the sunshine this April. For whatever reason she couldn't wait to update her drivers license, bills, and all social media accounts to reflect her new last name. However I just found out that she did not update her passport and had no plans on updating it since it expires next year. Does she need to update her passport so that the name on her drivers license matches? If not which form of identification should she use for embarking? I hope I gave enough info. If not feel free to ask.

Thanks for the help

So I recently married my long time girlfriend and we booked a cruise on the sunshine this April. For whatever reason she couldn't wait to update her drivers license, bills, and all social media accounts to reflect her new last name. However I just found out that she did not update her passport and had no plans on updating it since it expires next year. Does she need to update her passport so that the name on her drivers license matches? If not which form of identification should she use for embarking? I hope I gave enough info. If not feel free to ask.

Thanks for the help

What last name is on the booking?

I would bring your official marriage licence that would authenticate both her married and maiden names.

Ditto what LovetheTXsun said. As long as she has a paper trail of her name change.. hence a copy of your marriage license you should be fine. I have also hyphenate the name on a reservation... as sometimes new brides do not have the time to get their passports etc changed prior to sailing. Hope this helps! ;)

I called carnival a few days ago and was told to make sure she has her current drivers license when we board and I went with that answer. Then the more I thought about it i thought I remember reading that the passport trumps everything. So I called carnival back and the person I spoke with confirmed what I read about the passports so I'm definitely confused.

I figured I would ask the question here because I'm sure someone has had this come up before. I like the ideas of the hyphenated name and bringing our marriage license even though i have know idea what it even looks like or where to find it but I'm sure my wife does.

Aren't there charges for adjusting a booking or is that for completely changing a person within the booking?

Sorry in advance for being such a rookie but I almost prefer to get answers from here versus calling carnival.

Thanks everyone for the help.

I called carnival a few days ago and was told to make sure she has her current drivers license when we board and I went with that answer. Then the more I thought about it i thought I remember reading that the passport trumps everything. So I called carnival back and the person I spoke with confirmed what I read about the passports so I'm definitely confused.

I figured I would ask the question here because I'm sure someone has had this come up before. I like the ideas of the hyphenated name and bringing our marriage license even though i have know idea what it even looks like or where to find it but I'm sure my wife does.

Aren't there charges for adjusting a booking or is that for completely changing a person within the booking?

Sorry in advance for being such a rookie but I almost prefer to get answers from here versus calling carnival.

You are totally fine. Ask away!! Have you paid your final payment yet? Depending on the rate code you are booked under "typically" they do not charge to change names if it is done prior to final payment. However, I know there are some rates codes that you can not do name changes on so Id definitely check with CCL. Id really be surprised if they charge you to hyphenate her name though.

Yes, there can be charges for name changes depending on the fare type you booked. You'll have to call and see. As you've already found out, you can get different answers from different people in customer service sometimes, so if you don't like the first answer, call back later.

I went on cruises years ago with birth certificate and drivers license. Names did not match, but I made my maiden name my middle name when I got married and changed all my docs, so it was still on the DL. I never even took my marriage certificate, and had no problems boarding. But I don't know, now. I've had a passport with my married name for some years now. I think the documents just need to match the booking. Should be fine with DL, birth certificate, marriage license to board.

First off you need to answer this...did she book in maiden name or did she book in married name?? Also, is it a closed loop cruise?

If booked in maiden name then no problem take passport. No need to show drivers license.

If she booked in married name then no problem again. If it is a closed looped cruise then just show drivers license and birth certificate.

Another scenario which I have done is to show passport, drivers license, birth certificate and marriage license. That worked also.

The reservation was made under her married name, we have not made final payment yet, and we booked under a cruise fare. Not the cruise fare that give you money for showing up, it just happened to be the cheapest deal.

My wife is overly organized about everything and is now freaking out because she can't believe she forgot about identification for our cruise. We are going to call CCL and try one more time but I'm pretty sure she is just going to bring just about every ID, certificate, and license she can find. It's just how she is.

I don't have a PVP. Would it have helped to have a designated person to flow my many questions through?

Thanks again everyone. I'm glad I got the happy people helping me!

The reservation was made under her married name, we have not made final payment yet, and we booked under a cruise fare. Not the cruise fare that give you money for showing up, it just happened to be the cheapest deal.

My wife is overly organized about everything and is now freaking out because she can't believe she forgot about identification for our cruise. We are going to call CCL and try one more time but I'm pretty sure she is just going to bring just about every ID, certificate, and license she can find. It's just how she is.

I don't have a PVP. Would it have helped to have a designated person to flow my many questions through?

Thanks again everyone. I'm glad I got the happy people helping me!

If it's a closed loop cruise, just use her DL and BC for ID, and take the marriage licence just in case. Forget the PP

Present the passport and drivers license at check in- the passport verifies citizenship and the drivers license verifies her current name. The picture on both shows it's the same person.

I just went through this at Charleston getting on the Fantasy. I had changed ss card, drivers license, etc to married name and was booked under married name but passport still had maiden name. At check-in they quickly changed my booking to my maiden name and reissued my sign and sail card but it was quick and painless.

RU driving to the cruise or flying in?

The airline tix name need to match the ID too.

Why don't you just have your wife renew the passport in her new name. Turn around time for renewals right now is only taking about 3 weeks or less.

I agree that you just need to bring all the ID with you to the cruise ship and they will fix it but she'll need the passport for the future so might as well get it right!

Use whatever form of ID that matches the name your flight and cruise is booked under.

When getting married, it's best for a woman to use her maiden name as her "middle" name.. For instance...Mary Ellen Jones marries John Smith. She become Mary Jones Smith....that takes care of the change from unmarried to married.

Use whatever form of ID that matches the name your flight and cruise is booked under.

When getting married, it's best for a woman to use her maiden name as her "middle" name.. For instance...Mary Ellen Jones marries John Smith. She become Mary Jones Smith....that takes care of the change from unmarried to married.

There is no legal requirement that a woman change her name upon marriage. It is actually better if the woman retains her birth last name for life, no matter what marriages or divorces might occur.

As someone in her 60's that did not change my name upon marriage back in 1976, I realize how much hassle I have saved myself over the years by having only the one name and no aliases to confuse things.

It has been especially beneficial now that many states are requiring ID verification of name from birth to current day before issuing or renewing driver's licenses. I live in Florida and more than one woman my age or older are cursing their numerous name changes from marriages and divorces when trying to provide the papere trail for license renewal.

I'd call and get her name changed to match her passport. Leave the license in her pocket. Not likely there will be any fee to change name.

If you are flying, either will work