Life jackets for muster?

sleepless

We have our first cruise on Celebrity Solstice coming up in July, 2016. Are life jackets/vests stored in the statehood, and do we have to take them to the Muster Drill? We have on my cruised on Royal before, and it is no longer necessary to carry life jackets to Muster Drill.

We have our first cruise on Celebrity Solstice coming up in July, 2016. Are life jackets/vests stored in the statehood, and do we have to take them to the Muster Drill? We have on my cruised on Royal before, and it is no longer necessary to carry life jackets to Muster Drill.

Yes, they are in the stateroom and no, you won't take them to the muster. Fact is, the drills have really been diminished on Celebrity. We attended three of them on the Eclips in the past month and none of them was as detailed as they used to be.

As much as I disliked the former Muster Drill, it did have a more realistic aspect to it. You knew where your lifeboat was located. You knew what it felt like to stand with a mass amount of people. You payed attention to the instructions and descriptions.

Thanks, for your replies.

DH and I will attend Muster without our life jackets. On our very first cruise back in 2008 on a Royal Caribbean ship, it was necessary to carry the life jackets from the room to the Muster Station. On the rest of our cruises after that on Royal, the life jackets remained in the stateroom, and we went to Muster without them. In fact, our last 2 cruises on the Allure and the Oasis, there were no life jackets in the state room. All necessary life jackets were at the Muster stations.

Which reminds me of another question. In the event of a true emergency, is it necessary - or recommended to go back to the state room for our life jackets, or do we proceed directly to the Muster station? Each ship and or Cruise line does things differently. I will be on the Solstice.

Which reminds me of another question. In the event of a true emergency, is it necessary - or recommended to go back to the state room for our life jackets, or do we proceed directly to the Muster station? Each ship and or Cruise line does things differently. I will be on the Solstice.

While there will be life jackets in your stateroom, according to the information provided at the muster drill there are also life jackets at the life boat stations.

If I recall correctly on reflection we were specifically told not to bring our life jackets to the video show. But they were in the cabin. I don't think you are woman to go back to the cabin in the event of an emergency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I recall correctly on reflection we were specifically told not to bring our life jackets to the video show. But they were in the cabin. I don't think you are woman to go back to the cabin in the event of an emergency.

You have no idea of what type of woman I am. You don't know me. How dare you comment about my womenhood.

From what I know;) When RCI was planning Oasis, they knew that they couldn't have 5-6,000 pax carrying their life jackets to and from muster drill as was the tradition. The rules & reg's stated that sufficient life jackets must be available at the muster station. It is my understanding that the life jackets are stored in the walls etc at each station.

I guess that every cruise line still does their own thing as Princess on their new ships, still requires everyone to bring their life jackets to muster....which is a real pain!!!!:eek:

You have no idea of what type of woman I am. You don't know me. How dare you comment about my womenhood.

1. I did not know you are a woman. 2. That is a mistake from auto correct on my phone - should have said 'meant'. 3. I apologise for any confusion.

So the answer is no person should go back to their cabin in the event of a real emergency.

Edited by Pavovsky

1. I did not know you are a woman. 2. That is a mistake from auto correct on my phone - should have said 'meant'. 3. I apologise for any confusion.

So the answer is no person should go back to their cabin in the event of a real emergency.

I think (I at least hope) they were kidding!

Apology accepted.:) I know all about auto correct.

Have you ever wondered what's behind all those doors scattered about the ship? There are life jackets EVERYWHERE. You just can't see them.

One of the reasons they eliminated wearing life jackets to the muster drill, and it's a small reason, is the number of mishaps and injuries suffered by those hanging straps. The crowded steps are bad enough but add those black nylon straps and you have a recipe for disaster. We actually saw this years ago on a RCI ship.

We did go to our station on an RCI cruise last year and people were getting ill. Can't blame it on the heat since it was Quebec City in November, just too many people crammed in a tight space and a very long time to account for all the passengers.

I hope none of us ever needs to do any more than the pre-cruise drill!

Auto correct is my worst enema.

Mic, you're popping up all over my feed with comments like this - and you're killing me! Ever thought about stand up comedy? Sure funnier than some comedians I've seen at sea [emoji23]

Mic, you're popping up all over my feed with comments like this - and you're killing me! Ever thought about stand up comedy? Sure funnier than some comedians I've seen at sea [emoji23]

Cheers for that.

As for the comedians at sea, I would be along the same lines, a hit with some and a bomb with most.

Besides, CC would enjoy my absence too much.:p

Guests should not bring life jackets to the muster drill. Lifejackets are stored at the muster stations on all ships. Some ships may have lifejackets in the staterooms.

Guests should not bring life jackets to the muster drill. Lifejackets are stored at the muster stations on all ships. Some ships may have lifejackets in the staterooms.

I thought all ships had life jackets in the stateroom...is that not the case?

• 11 months later...

I understand why to not carry the life jackets, but one of our best memories is our cruise where everyone wore his/her life jacket to muster drill. I have some great pictures... Hopefully we will never have an emergency where we have to use them but good to know how to and where they are.

I thought all ships had life jackets in the stateroom...is that not the case?

Our latest Celebrity Cruise was April 2016 on the Eclipse. In the cabin closet there were two life vests like always. We are glad you no longer have to drag the life vests to the muster drill. One thing that use to amaze us when it was mandatory to bring the life vest to the drill was the amount of adults that would blow the whistle.

On our recent sailing we were told specifically not to go back to your room. Get to the muster station as quickly as possible, they have enough life jackets there for everybody.

As much as I disliked the former Muster Drill, it did have a more realistic aspect to it. You knew where your lifeboat was located. You knew what it felt like to stand with a mass amount of people. You payed attention to the instructions and descriptions.

After the Costa Concordia disaster, the idea of knowing where your lifeboat is located no longer seems important. Many people could not use the lifeboats they were assigned to due to the extreme listing of the ship. Instead, I would rather congregate in a neutral location and be directed towards USABLE lifeboats. Several people who died in the Costa accident are thought to have gone to their assigned, and unusable, lifeboats and were not able to return.

Edited by sloopsailor