Things missing on the Konigsdam?

msteries

Considering a February 2017 cruise on the new ship. I have looked and looked for a piano bar - have any of you spotted one on the deck plans?

My "secret" huge interior cabin on the Eurodam, 8045, has been designed out, I see, but what really concerns me is walking the seemingly very narrow Promenade deck. And will lifeboats make it even more cramped? I am firmly in the class of those who go to sea to see, smell, and hear the sea, and so a midnight promenade is a huge treat for me.

Mary

An off thread PS: several of you were looking to see me on my usual February getaway, but I had to have major foot surgery. I am into my 8th week of no weight, with at least several more weeks to go.... Cheering myself up by planning a cruise for next year. In the meantime, happy sailing, friends!

I have been trying to figure out if the lifeboats hang overhead. And deck plans are really unclear if any cabins have partially obstructed views. The lifeboats seem to be magically hanging out in thin air....

Mary

I have been trying to figure out if the lifeboats hang overhead. And deck plans are really unclear if any cabins have partially obstructed views. The lifeboats seem to be magically hanging out in thin air....

Mary

They sit on deck 3 (or almost anyway) so the view from deck 4 cabins is like that from deck 5 midship cabins on the Vista and Signature ships, while the view from much of the promenade is greatly blocked. Edited by catl331

OP

Hope you foot heals. Will you have a lot of therapy when you can finally put weight on it?

Piano Bar -- I am uncertain if I will like that idea. Wonder if people will get to "sing along"?

So much depends on how/when bone fuse works - I have five screws in my rather small foot. It will be months of rather uncomfortable therapy. So today my therapy consists of working on 2017 cruising plans!

They sit on deck 3 (or almost anyway) so the view from deck 4 cabins is like that from deck 5 midship cabins on the Vista and Signature ships, while the view from much of the promenade is greatly blocked.

Think the Koningsdam has just lost my business.

I agree that the Koningsdam seems to be missing some of the things I have grown to love on the other HAL ships.

HAL has gotten away from the traditional Piano Bar, and turned it into more of a non-participation entertainment venue. Not as much fun as it used to be.

I can't see any extra large inside cabins that can be found on all the other (except the Prinsendam) HAL ships, either. And I don't see the promenade as a place to sit and enjoy the sea in peace and quiet on this ship.

My Koningsdam cruise will probably be a one & done trip.

A slightly larger piano bar would have been ok, but new design does look more suitable for chamber music. As a solo traveller, I have found so many fun people who also love singing (and otherwise carrying on..) at the piano bar!

RuthC - have you spotted the ocean view singles on deck one? I am waiting to hear from my TA about pricing and availability.

Oh, decisions, decisions. Happy always with the a Eurodam, but next year the Koningsdam date are better for me.

RuthC - have you spotted the ocean view singles on deck one? I am waiting to hear from my TA about pricing and availability.

Sadly, I "graduated" to needing a scooter several cruises back. From what I can see, there are no cabins on this ship that are large enough to hold a scooter, like the other ships have. :(

So, I have had to book a handicap cabin in order to have room to park my chariot overnight.

I am waiting to hear from my TA about pricing and availability.
Here are sample prices for a 13 day Adriatic in Oct 2017. Cat OO are the singles.

Category OO US$4799.00 * per person

Category F US$6398.00 * per person

Category E US$6438.00 * per person

Category D US$6518.00 * per person

Category C US$6558.00 * per person

Category CQ US$6578.00 * per person

* Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses are an additional US$ 120.56

To get prices for another, start a booking without logging in or saying you are a Mariner. Choose Number of Guests = 1, Oceanview, and "Let Us Choose" the room.

Edited by jtl513

I agree that the Koningsdam seems to be missing some of the things I have grown to love on the other HAL ships.

HAL has gotten away from the traditional Piano Bar, and turned it into more of a non-participation entertainment venue. Not as much fun as it used to be.

I can't see any extra large inside cabins that can be found on all the other (except the Prinsendam) HAL ships, either. And I don't see the promenade as a place to sit and enjoy the sea in peace and quiet on this ship.

Not only has HAL gotten away from tradition Piano Bar, HAL has gotten away from Tradition.......

It's hard to find any Holland left in Holland America, for starters.

The HAL Logo was beautiful and enjoyed by many but apparently they think this new one is an improvement. Maybe some agree with them. I do not.

The lifeboats are slung under 'luffing davits'. Same davits that used on board on the TITANIC..... over a century ago. The function is exactly as before bit today they are swung out using hydraulic power, in TITANIC they were man powered.

On TITANIC the boats sat in a cradle... at deck level. KONINGSDAM are a bt different but the keel is about 3 ft above the deck. You won't get a view... unless you stoop to look beneath.

TITANIC had quite a broad promenade deck behind the boats... with a great beautiful view up at those tall funnels. On KONINGSDAM you will have a very narrow deck to promenade behind the boats. 'Walkway' is more a better description than 'promenade'.

PS: Thankfully we will have plenty of lifeboats on KONINGSDAM.

463131763_koningsdam29.jpglifeboatdeck.jpg.61b00da7a9082ab2ea286ee101ebf9b7.jpg

725840281_TITANICLifeboatDeck.jpg.82fb24340777f8dafec8d624a1a2d541.jpg

Dueling pianos are non-participation?! They must be way different on the east coast then. West coast the entire crowd is ALWAYS singing along at dueling piano bars.

Extra large inside rooms? Review the deck plans again Ruth. There's a few on most decks at midship. 1 that comes to mind as we were booked on it before we changed sailings is I-1111. You can't tell me that isn't a lot larger than the rest.

Not only has HAL gotten away from tradition Piano Bar, HAL has gotten away from Tradition.......

It's hard to find any Holland left in Holland America, for starters.

The HAL Logo was beautiful and enjoyed by many but apparently they think this new one is an improvement. Maybe some agree with them. I do not.

Contrary, HAL has introduced more Dutch heritage things (partnerships, dining options, etc) in the past year than they've had since we sailed them first in 2005.

Extra large inside rooms? Review the deck plans again Ruth. There's a few on most decks at midship. 1 that comes to mind as we were booked on it before we changed sailings is I-1111. You can't tell me that isn't a lot larger than the rest.

Can you guarantee that it is large enough to hold a scooter, while still leaving room to walk around?

Except for the Prinsendam, all the other HAL ships have at least one cabin that will.